How do you afford your samples/software/hardware?

Q.K.

I'm just wondering, because I've seen a lot of stuff that usually costs well over $50 per item (Whether it be a program, a VST, or a sample CD) and can get very expensive, like.... $4000. I'm just wondering... how do you guys get the money for all this?? Freelance musician jobs? Just your regular "job" job? Your company?

Saving up a lot of money, don't buy stuff for at least half a year (counts to saving) and keep an eye out for used stuff (hardware, sequencers, etc) and of course "discounts". Or your're lucky to be a friend of somebody who throws out stuff from his/her studio.

And like OverCoat said: Free stuff.

Don't listen to so called "Pro's" that Free Stuff is crap, cause you can find a ton of highend material for free or pocket money. You just have to be patient and need a bit of endurance while looking and testing.

[Mod Edit] piracy admissions/suggestions not acceptable

Anyway, I basically just saved up and bought what I needed over time. First I got my orchestral samples, then drums, then other miscellaneous stuff. I never really buy anything anymore. It'd take a pretty revolutionary new sampling technology to get me to replace the stuff I currently use.

HAY GUYZ I HAVE THE IQ OF A BRICK

The next knock on your door is from the RIAA or the BSA and they'll have a nice chat with you. You know that under the new PERFORM act you can get up to 10 years for that? Even for attempted breach of copyright.

People who go advertising their use of juarez are incredibly stupid.

Anyway, how do I afford stuff? I save up money and look for bargains in the classifieds. Know what you really need and what you don't. And, like Compy said - tons of free good stuff to be had out there. Really, the only money you'll have to spend is on the VST host itself, the controller keyboard and the soundcard. For the rest you can get by with freebies for a long, long time.

and can get very expensive, like.... $4000.

Haha, what?

For $4000 you're looking at symphonic Hollywood strings libraries (and the collections of those). Most hardware synthesizers even don't hit that mark (except for a fully maxed out Kurzweil K2600, or the Korg OASYS). Yes, there's reverb units out there that may cost that much, but investing that money in something like that is a whole other ballgame.

A Pro Tools rig will cost you more than that, but the Pro Tools people are talking about here is either not theirs (for academic use) or Pro Tools LE.

Summer jobs.

Student discounts.

I usually milk the parents for some piece of software for Christmas and my birthday.

Get paid for liscencing my music in a game occasionally.

I also don't waste it on stuff like cigarettes, expensive cellphones and plans, buying all the newest games and systems, etc.

I also don't waste it on stuff like cigarettes, expensive cellphones and plans, buying all the newest games and systems, etc.

Its amazing how much you can save when you dont have addictions and a little bit of self control :D

Me, work full time, no study commitments (atm). Unfortunatly, paying rent/bills/life expenses makes saving harder than it sounds at times....

HAY GUYZ I HAVE THE IQ OF A BRICK

The next knock on your door is from the RIAA or the BSA and they'll have a nice chat with you.

Watch out! The Boy Scouts of America will come to yo' neighborhood and drop you hard.

i wait for the occasional riot and steal gear from the local music shop.

I do the same thing, but...uh...online?

LET'S TRASH THE PLACE!

-steve

PS: I bought FL Studio with money earned from my real job, just like all the hardware I buy. I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. "How do you afford stuff?" Come on. Do you ask your neighbor how he could afford his new SUV?

well until I got my first testing job at eidos I used to work in shops like game and computer exchange, and didnt realy buy alot of music stuff until Eidos.

Then I bought a fair amount sacrifising buying games and going out on the town, made a descent demo and finaly achieved what I wanted outa life to work on game audio. Now my pays alot better but in theory I dont need for music stuff as I can use the studio when ever I want, but theres something about working in the comfort of your own home, so have started buying stuff again but mainly on software.