"You Shall Go No Further (Boss Battle)" - original RPG boss battle theme

DarkDjinn

This is actually a new arrangement of an old song of mine. Very different and only in good ways. Just got to a good point in working on this song to upload it and let people have a listen. Still an early WIP but it's going well. Unfortunately Soundcloud lowers my sound quality a bit but I still think it sounds fine for getting a little feedback :)

https://soundcloud.com/brad-charles/you-shall-go-no-further-boss

Made using the VSTs that I can afford on my budget - Miroslav Philharmonik, SampleTank, EZDrummer

guitars recorded using PODFarm

• 2 weeks later...

Nice track man. My main critique is it's a little bit too full on. Like it's BAMBAMBAM the whole way. Maybe try toning it down or switching it up a bit in certain section. I really like the change around 1:20. I think you should build on that a bit. Maybe focus on the percussive aspect there instead of the guitar. But otherwise really cool track.

Here's my take on a Boss Battle theme if you're interested - https://soundcloud.com/james-battams/challenge-accepted-boss-battle-theme

Nice track man. My main critique is it's a little bit too full on. Like it's BAMBAMBAM the whole way. Maybe try toning it down or switching it up a bit in certain section. I really like the change around 1:20. I think you should build on that a bit. Maybe focus on the percussive aspect there instead of the guitar. But otherwise really cool track.

Here's my take on a Boss Battle theme if you're interested - https://soundcloud.com/james-battams/challenge-accepted-boss-battle-theme

Thanks for listening man. My song is definitely lacking in dynamics at this point. I would almost go so far as to just call this a "concept". I haven't had any more time to work on it but I certainly agree with what you said. I'm trying to actually flesh it out and make it more into an actual song than just a boss battle track that would repeat, so there will probably be guitar/organ solos later and who knows what else? Anyway, thanks again for listening.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm skulking around here anyway I should probably offer some comments / observations.

I personally appreciate the high energy level and I don't think that it's necessarily problematic in and of itself. There's a lot of good stuff happening and some careful attention to detail could make this much more effective overall. Now, I understand that old SNES RPGs are known for their repetitive drum parts but consider that back then, composers were trying to compress the data as much as possible and I'm sure the music was no exception.

I think the big thing to think about is orchestration / arrangement. With the drums, using the same beat pattern over and over is easy to sequence but it can tire / bore the listener. Don't completely change it but go through and add some variations, like what a set player might do in a live situation. I can add some specific examples / ideas if you require.

Aside from that, just work on your proportions in the first part and maybe find a way to make the first riff / chord progression more interesting through the multiple times it happens. Good star though, I'm curious to hear how your material develops.