Sonic Boom (NEW cartoon/game)

Dave the Rave

But hey, it's another reboot of this universe. We've already had them like... 9000 times. What do we complain about? P.S. I find it suspicious how often WiiU version is compared with S'06. DON'T YOU WANT TO SAY S'06 IS TOTAL CRAP????? Ok, maybe the plot is much better than in some latest games? Hmmm, according to Wikipedia

The group finds that Lyric plans to power his army of war mongering robots with the Chaos Crystals in order to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots.

Oh, this is soooo new and fresh...

Games succeed on word of mouth and review scores, but check it out for yourself if you respect Sonic/Sega before you decide not to support them

That's what I'll do with the 3DS version. Can't do the Wii U as I don't have one and don't have a reason to set myself back by £200-ish either.

Honestly, between what I had seen of the Wii U version on Youtube, what I had heard about the E3 demos being majorly fucked over, what I had also heard about Sega pulling down game footage prior to official release and what I noticed of Sega not sending advance review copies out, it tells me there's no confidence with the final product at all and that they're trying to cut back on marketing just to salvage any potential losses that may crop up from this venture.

Still unsure? Think back to the release of Alien Isolation, another game Sega published. Irresponsible developer plus no advance review copies. I don't even need to remind you of the critics' reception, or how GearBox REALLY spent their development money.

It to me would take a lot more than a misguided business outing for me to boycott future Sega products, especially as they introduced me to gaming in the first place. For ow, the best they could do is keep moving forward *_*

I don’t trust reviewers like IGN, Gamespot, GameInformer, Metacritic and others like them, to review a Sonic game if their lives depend on it! I’m still going to get the Wii U version (I don’t have a 3DS) and I’ll be the judge if this game sucks or not!

In other news, I just posted a first impressions of Sonic Boom (cartoon) in my gallery, on my dA account. If you’re interested, you can all check it out right here.

I don’t trust reviewers like IGN, Gamespot, GameInformer, Metacritic and others like them, to review a Sonic game if their lives depend on it! I’m still going to get the Wii U version (I don’t have a 3DS) and I’ll be the judge if this game sucks or not!

In other news, I just posted a first impressions of Sonic Boom (cartoon) in my gallery, on my dA account. If you’re interested, you can all check it out right here.

Why listen to people who know what they're talking about when Sonic

It seriously only takes 2 minutes of youtube to figure out these games are crap. If you'd prefer to stick your head in the sand and fund the next crappy sonic game be my guest, but you're only making it worse.

someday they'll fire the entirety of sonic team and give it to someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

Hate to say "Called it" because it seemed obvious a Sonic game, even with this TERRIBLE redesign, was going to be bad. But yeah... both game and cartoon are pretty abysmal. Like... really bad. Really really bad.

Maybe next round Sega... just, make an entire game like the Classic stages of Generation, or heck like the Sonic stages in SA1/2, why is this so hard? :/

Thankfully, they already said Boom was kinda its own thing, and not the direction of the series as a whole... which since this one is so bad, I hope it gets no sequels unless it massively improves upon the formula in every area possible (and give the game POLISH this time around, what rush job this one was)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/11/14/a-ring-and-a-prayer

As for it being bad, did anyone really expect it to be good? It's targeted at kids so it might not conform to your standards anyway.

Well, given Sonic's pedigree as of late, it should be expected that a Sonic game be bad, but any Sonic fan always holds on to the hope of it not turning out that way. They keep hoping for a good game and getting disappointed. (queue Sonic cycle)

Also Sonic is kinda always aimed at a general audience, like Mario is. Sonic used to be good though. Not so much anymore. Mario is aimed at a general audience, and is still amazing. Sega just doesn't know how to make a good game anymore, they lost all their talent through the years and it shows. Though I'm not sure Sega can be fully blamed for this one, since Red Button or whoever they are supposed to be are the ones who handled the game primarily. Sega still gave it to them to do as they pleased. Sadly it seems Nintendo's publishing was wasted on this, and this isn't something that will help the Wii U's image at all.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Mario is aimed at a general audience, and is still amazing.

Please explain what Mario games on the 3DS / Wii U are considered "amazing". Nintendo are supposedly meant to provide revolutions for their character through each gaming generation, but from what I can see, the Wii U in particular only had an NSMB Wii follow-up, an NSMB spin-off with Luigi, and a partner game to 3D Land like NSMB Wii was to the original.

#DerailingTheThread

Galaxy 1 & 2, 3D Land, and 3D World are amazing. The level designs, polish, music, gameplay, etc. You won't find many opinions or reviews that say otherwise. NSMB Wii & U are excellently made products that are polished and very fun. They just aren't very good compared to OTHER Mario games, but they are LEAGUES above the terrible Sonic games as of late.

Are you really trying to say Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, 3D Land & World, and NSMB1,2,Wii & U are somehow not on a whole other level compared to Heroes, Shadow, Sonic '06, Sonic 4 Ep 1 & 2, and now Sonic Boom? Half the time, the newer Sonic games are flat out broken, unplayable, unfinished, and/or unfun messes.

There is a MAJOR gap in quality.

Metas:

Super Mario Sunshine (92)

Super Mario Galaxy 1: (97)

Super Mario Galaxy 2: (97)

Super Mario 3D Land (90)

Super Mario 3D World (93)

New Super Mario Bros U (84)

New Super Mario Bros Wii (87)

Sonic Heroes (72)

Shadow the Hedgehog (~50)

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (~45)

Sonic Unleased (60)

Sonic 4 (~60)

Sonic Lost World (63)

Sonic Boom (38 )

Heck, the best Sonic games released in a long time, Sonic Generations & Sonic Colors, are 77 & 78 material.

So my point is, aiming at a general audience doesn't mean it has to be a bad game. Look at OTHER series besides Mario & Sonic too.

Crash was great (until Naughty Dog stopped making them)

Spyro was great (until Insomniac stopped making them)

Klonoa was great

Zak & Daxter was great. Hopefully not a dead series

Ratchet & Clank i think is still a good running series. Way better than Sonic at least.

etc etc.

Sadly most of these games are phased out because everything has to be "mature" and grizzly "adult" action these days, but being a game aimed at a general audience isn't an excuse to be bad.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Please explain what Mario games on the 3DS / Wii U are considered "amazing".

please explain to me how they're not

they aren't Galaxy or 64 but they are really fantastic games. maybe not really new and innovative (I'd like something beyond a better 3D Land for the Wii U) but they are technically really great games.

you aren't suggesting that recent Sonic games are better than Mario games, are you

Not at all. It's just that after giving it more of a chance in the Wii era (and enjoying what I got), I'm expecting Nintendo not to go the cheap way out. The aforementioned three games may sound cutesy cutesy, but they are no way in hell going to convince me to get a Wii U because they aren't 'THE major Mario game every past console generation has had' to me :(

Sonic fanboy for life here, and even I can see the massive gap in quality between recent Mario games and recent Sonic games. The only great Sonic game recently was Generations, and even that pales in comparison to most of the the last two generations' Mario games.

Sonic was best on 16-bit, and unfortunately, that's not nostalgia talking. If they can get the people who did Generations back together and make them improve on it, give us more of that, Sonic will have a chance. Lost World sucks. Sonic Boom sucks hard.

Edited by DusK

Rexy: Well, if you can't enjoy an amazing & well done game like 3D World, Sonic Boom being pretty much complete garbage certainly isn't going to sell you a Wii U either. Sooo I'm not entirely sure what the argument is.

My entire point was being aimed at a general audience doesn't mean the game should be bad.

Edited by Crowbar Man

The argument is, 3D World and the NSMB Wii U games aren't the big Mario products that Nintendo are doing to persuade users to get a Wii U. I am not at all saying that Sonic's better than Mario or anything of the sort; we're past the 90s as it is; but I won't get a Wii U just to see how awkawrd Rise of Lyric was put together either.

To sum it up:

NSMB Wii = Not 'Fantastic'

Super Luigi U = Not'Fantastic'

3D World = Not 'Fantastic'

Rise of Lyric = A BROKEN SHAMBLES :(

Do you get my message? Bottom line - both Sega AND Nintendo need to get their shit together to make sure they stand a chance in this gaming generation.

The argument is, 3D World and the NSMB Wii U games aren't the big Mario products that Nintendo are doing to persuade users to get a Wii U.

This thread is about Sonic Boom? Where did this argument even come from? All I said is Nintendo still makes amazing Mario games (and games in general), so you can't say being aimed at a general or younger audience you should expect a game to be bad. That was my statement. To counter this, you'd have to point out a Mario game as bad as Sonic Boom...which doesn't exist.

While you are welcome to your opinion, what colorful platforming games (outside of the indie scene) do you see on the market that outshine such polished and amazing games like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land/World? I mean, this thread is about Sonic Boom for goodness sake. Probably the worst game since Sonic 06, which is regarded as one of the worst games ever. Knack, a new IP for the next generation, was also terrible. Ratchet & Clank as I mentioned are still around but kinda a shadow of their former selves. Not Sonic/Knack bad though.

What new game are you saying is currently better than 3D World? I'd love to play that!

Regardless if you don't think Galaxy & Mario 3D Land/World are fantastic (you'll be pretty alone on that opinion), there is no way on earth they are not a good games. Being aimed at a general audience did not hinder them.

Which shouldn't matter anyway, Sonic is always aimed at a general audience, and up until Sonic Adventure 2, all the games were great/amazing. I'm one that actually enjoyed SA2 too. Its just been... super downhill from there. :/

The few games that weren't aimed at a general audience were some of their worst (Shadow, Sonic '06 (kinda))

Edited by Crowbar Man

3D world is crazy fun. I spend hours playing it with my brother whenever he visits.

anyway

Bottom line - both Sega AND Nintendo need to get their shit together to make sure they stand a chance in this gaming generation.

I'm not sure how you can consider Nintendo to not be getting it's act together considering how many well received games they've been putting out recently. If they had to step it up more they would have to get into politics or something.

As someone who has never really gotten even the early sonic games, the schadenfreude from this thread is delicious.

BiiyUKy.jpg?1

That's the problem - I enjoy a good platformer, but the vast majority of them from the past 3-5 years or so really fail to hit the mark as far as jaw-dropping wowness is concerned. I absolutely adored Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (though obviously 1 was indeed the more novel of the two) and so having seen Nintendo's natural progression, I thought it would be natural that they would keep doing more crazy ways to step up what their tech is capable of.

As for having an "alone opinion",

Anyway, can we finally get away from this sudden break in the thread and go back to what we were on about in the first place? *_*