A question on soundcards (Don't kill me :p)

Well, right now I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS... however I've heard that they are very inferior to soundcards such as the Emu404, Audiophile, etc.

My question is... since I don't do any recording with a microphone, would I benefit from getting something like the Emu404? Just how much better would it be for working with things that (Aside from a few audio/wav samples) are mostly digital? (ex: VSTs, Soundfonts <--bleh, and stuff like that).

Well, right now I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS... however I've heard that they are very inferior to soundcards such as the Emu404, Audiophile, etc.

It's not so much "inferior", it's more that

- the thing isn't really made for music production regardless of what Creative claims

- low latencies need tweaks (ASIO4All, Kx drivers)

- the resampling isn't really that awesome.

My question is... since I don't do any recording with a microphone, would I benefit from getting something like the Emu404? Just how much better would it be for working with things that (Aside from a few audio/wav samples) are mostly digital? (ex: VSTs, Soundfonts <--bleh, and stuff like that).

If you're going to get something like that anyway, spend a bit more and get the Proteus X. Comes with a nice sample library, too - so the 'how do you guys afford all that' won't be that much of a question anymore :).

Having said that, if things aren't really bothering you at the moment, I see little need to switch. Don't let us talk you into buying something new if you personally think what you have works good enough.

Hehe. That Proteus X looks pretty nice, I must admit. And 2GB of sounds?? My god. It appears you can load AKAI, Halion and all those other sample types on it as well? Sweet.

Well, I dunno', but it certainly looks good. I might have to consider it :P