Super Mario 64: Portrait of a Plumber ART CONTEST!! Congrats to the winners!!

djpretzel

sm64needzarts.jpg

INTRO

For our upcoming Super Mario 64 album, "Portrait of a Plumber", we really want to go all out on the art & make our first Mario-themed album’s visuals match the amazing ReMixes!

In keeping with the album title and the concept of Mario jumping into paintings inside Peach Castle to enter corresponding stages, we are asking the community to provide artwork for use on the album cover, website, and trailer - we NEED YOUR HELP to make this album the best it can be!!

PRIZES

• FIRST PRIZE - Album Cover (logo is optional): Win a physical copy of Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin, a physical copy of Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream, and a physical copy of For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man!! Plus we’ll pimp your artist name + URL in our album press release, forum mailout, on the back cover, on the trailer, and on the album website.
  • SECOND PRIZE - Album Cover Runner-up: For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man download code, listed on album liner notes, website w/ URL, trailer
  • STAGE ARTWORK WINNERS- For Everlasting Peace: 25 Years of Mega Man download code, listed on album liner notes, website w/ URL, trailer

REQUIREMENTS: FRONT COVER ARTWORK

• Subject: A “Portrait” of Mario, of course! This is open to some interpretation, but generally speaking a painted depiction of Mario in some form is suggested, looking at us, i.e. not an action shot.
  • Format: Square dimensions required, as well as a minimum resolution of 2000 pixels. The album design may call for the work to be scaled a bit to acommodate. A Photoshop PSD file with separate layers is highly preferred.
  • Limitations: The work MUST be your own and must not incorporate outside assets, including any official Nintendo artwork.
  • BONUS: Feel free to include an album title/logo layer, or as a separate file, for “Super Mario 64: Portrait of a Plumber” - it’s optional, but if we love it & use it, we’ll try and throw a little something extra in!

REQUIREMENTS: STAGE ARTWORK (8 STAGES TOTAL)

• Subject: These paintings should be just like the ones inside the Peach castle, representing 8 of the game's stages, but this time featuring Mario engaging/interacting with the depicted stage. For example, one painting where Mario makes his way up Whomp's Fortress, another where he battles the giant Bob-omb, one where he gets his ass fried within Lethal Lava Land, etc. A high level of detail is not necessary, but each work should at least look like it was painted (oil, watercolor, airbrushed, and so on), and feel free to emulate the style of famous artists from history - Picasso, Magritte, Van Gogh, etc. :)
    The eight stages are as follows:

• Cool, Cool Mountain
    • Whomp's Fortress
    • Bob-omb Battlefield
    • Lethal Lava Land
    • Jolly Roger Bay
    • Tiny-Huge Island
    • Tall, Tall Mountain
    • Wet-Dry World

[*]Format: Square dimensions required, as well as a minimum resolution of 1200 pixels. The album design may call for the work to be scaled a bit to acommodate. A Photoshop PSD file with separate layers is highly preferred.

[*]Limitations: The work MUST be your own and must not incorporate outside assets, including any official Nintendo artwork.

SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES VIA EMAIL BY MARCH 31st, 2014!!

Submit your artwork entries via email to projects@ocremix.org by 3/31/2014 to be considered - for large files, please consider using Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.!!

QUESTIONS? ASK ‘EM HERE!!

Edited by djpretzel

It certainly answers my question if this project is coming out anytime soon. :-P

Hah yeah, I was expecting IT to come out but I guess it needs a cover? o.o Weird that nobody knew about that months ago.

All I'll say is, to the person who makes a cover featuring plumber's crack, you'll win my personal award, maybe a remix request. :-) It wouldn't be an accurate portrait of a plumber without that.

well this just goes to show that "late 2013" most certainly was about half a year off.

hahahaha

Late 2013 = December. Half a year = June 2014. Nothing certain OR "most" certain about it not being out sooner than that.

Time spent making observations of this nature is time wasted not actually helping with the task at hand, which is the thread topic.

Your "hahahaha" combined with the sentiments you've expressed towards OCR on other forums, where you thought you wouldn't be found, suggests to me that perhaps you're no longer interested in participating in anything we do... please let me know if this is accurate, and I can ban you to prevent the temptation. Otherwise, yeah... this type of comment doesn't seem helpful at all. If you can think of on-topic ways to actually chip in, let's go with those instead...

Edited by djpretzel

As good cop to djp's bad cop, I'd just say that if someone hurr-hurr's that an album doesn't get released after someone announced an earlier date, I don't really mind that stuff. I don't have a problem with someone whapping Garrett for being unhelpful/needlessly douchey about it :lol:, but I'm also not offended. Album delays happen; sometimes the right people aren't free/available, but everything comes together nicely in the end no matter how long it takes.

Late 2013 = December. Half a year = June 2014. Nothing certain OR "most" certain about it not being out sooner than that.

Time spent making observations of this nature is time wasted not actually helping with the task at hand, which is the thread topic.

Your "hahahaha" combined with the sentiments you've expressed towards OCR on other forums, where you thought you wouldn't be found, suggests to me that perhaps you're no longer interested in participating in anything we do... please let me know if this is accurate, and I can ban you to prevent the temptation. Otherwise, yeah... this type of comment doesn't seem helpful at all. If you can think of on-topic ways to actually chip in, let's go with those instead...

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be offensive

Just found it sort of funny.

Not intending to be disrespectful of anyone, I'm just an extremely sarcastic person with a seriously dry sense of humor which doesn't normally come out correctly through text. I apologize.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be offensive

Just found it sort of funny.

Not intending to be disrespectful of anyone, I'm just an extremely sarcastic person with a seriously dry sense of humor which doesn't normally come out correctly through text. I apologize.

No worries. And seriously, legitimately, if you know people you think might be interested, and you want this album out ASAP (as you probably do, as do I), let 'em know!

Do you guys have a logo designed? My buddy was live streaming himself drawing his cover last night and we weren't sure what to do about a logo.

I really want to show off the progress so far... but since this is a contest I don't know if I should!

No logo yet - it's entirely optional, but if you wanna take a stab, as long as it's on a separate layer from the actual cover art, that'd be awesome!

Hello,

just wrote about the Contest and the album on Game-Art-HQ. But damn i wish there would be 2-3 more weeks. Just like a good remix, a good visual art needs time.

Greets,

Reinhold

edit: Excellent

Edited by GBK666

I'm definitely interested in participating; Super Mario 64 is nearly my favorite game of all-time and I've been replaying it on my phone as of late (it's funny how people can say the game is nigh unplayable without an analog stick yet here I am, 117 stars later, rockin' this game with a QWERTY keyboard and enjoying every second of it).

I won't say what levels I intend to take a shot at it but I will say I have a potentially brilliant idea for the cover art that I can't wait to test out.

By "minimum resolution of 1200 pixels," do you mean it has to be a bare minimum of 1200x1200, or simply 1200 altogether? I could do it either way -- I'm just a bit confused on that part.

By "minimum resolution of 1200 pixels," do you mean it has to be a bare minimum of 1200x1200, or simply 1200 altogether? I could do it either way -- I'm just a bit confused on that part.

1200x1200 resolution; higher preferred, if manageable!

1200 total pixels would be like a desktop icon ;-) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!