Guitar Problems

So my damn guitar has been acting up again. Which isn't good since I've been recording stuff for people and I don't have a lot of days off to do it.

Basically, it'll just randomly start making really bad crackling noises. At first, I thought it could be the cables, but I switched those out and the problem is still there. So I thought that maybe the input jack was loose, but it is not. I also check the wires to the input jack, but they too seem to be intact. The crackling and volume cut-offs happen whether I'm using a "real" amp or just a sim, so amplification is not the problem.

I'm guessing that leaves either wiring or the pickups. This guitar probably ten years old by now, so maybe a component needs to replaced? I don't know, I want to hear some other opinions on what the problem could be. I'd take it to the guitar shop here in town, but they charge a lot since they're the only one in town and I don't want to pay them if it turns out this is something simple that I can fix on my own.

take some compressed air to the electronics cavity and get into every crevice you can, especially under any pots and the pickup switch

I recently came into possession of an I'beenhad (Ibanez) AG95 and it has similar problems. I haven't tried the compressed air just yet but everytime I plug it in I get a ton of static out of the neck pickup, if I get anything at all. After turning the volume and tone knobs it seems to get better but it takes some time. I figure the pickups might be dying and i'm trying to work that into my current budget.

Otherwise, i would have assumed whatever cable you are using is starting to come apart. I've lost a bunch of male ends that suddenly break off in the amplifier at some point.

heheh. ;-)

I don't see how we guitarists can survive without a little basic knowledge of electronics.

Soldering is a good skill to learn and swapping pots switches and PU's isn't something to be afraid of.

But then I build my amps so I may be slightly biased from my point of view.

...okay?

Anyway, I'll try shooting the electronics with some compressed air and see what happens.

...okay?

Anyway, I'll try shooting the electronics with some compressed air and see what happens.

Don't take me the wrong way.

I always think in terms of the worst case. It saves on devastating disappointments in the long run.

I brought up the topic out of years of experience with how various parts fail.

With pots and switches, it's either contamination or oxidation.

Contamination can usually be made right by compressed air, sometimes even wd40 in severe cases like the component was soaked in yogurt.

oxidation related failures ... embrace the peace of mind of replacement.

I don't see how we guitarists can survive without a little basic knowledge of electronics.

Soldering is a good skill to learn and swapping pots switches and PU's isn't something to be afraid of.

But then I build my amps so I may be slightly biased from my point of view.

I love guitars ; I love electronics ; I hate guitar electronics.

I'm an EE tech. Find the error! haha.. I just bought my 1st guitar with that quick-connect thing so that you can swap pick-ups in a few seconds.

Building amps is a hobby I want to develop. Man.. you must be pleased to play on something you built ;)

Now for the issue, did you actually try another cable ? Got good ones to begin with ?

I love guitars ; I love electronics ; I hate guitar electronics.

I'm an EE tech. Find the error! haha.. I just bought my 1st guitar with that quick-connect thing so that you can swap pick-ups in a few seconds.

Building amps is a hobby I want to develop. Man.. you must be pleased to play on something you built ;)

Now for the issue, did you actually try another cable ? Got good ones to begin with ?

Well, the level of satisfaction is a bit relative.

The first one your overjoyed if a sound comes out of it at all.

Later on, when you get a serious case of tube love, you start to encounter the nuances of the setup where you trade between desirable traits. :banghead:

it's a bit frustrating until you plug in the following day with fresh ears and deem it properly epic.

But this gets a little off the OPs topic of a pot full of fungus;-)