OCR01473 - Super Metroid "Brinstar Bonsai Garden"

Wicked kool jazz RTF! I've heard a lot of your stuff (obviously, collabing with you several times now I'm proud to say) - I love this track. I salute you for your modesty and the fact that you always strive to get even better. :D

Look out for more of RTF in the upcoming 'Blood on the Asphalt: SF2 remix project'. 8)

Oh so smooth. I never imagined the Brinstar track this way, and it's come out great. Lots of surprises, lots of mood, good production quality... this song is fairly awesome. I also caught the Chrono Trigger bit in there, very nice. I really like the mix of string and synth. I'd give it 4/5. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this piece that I can find and it does some really nice work with the tools it uses. I'd like to hear it live, that would boost it to a 5, if well played. But that's the only improvement I could think of.

Zen and Superbombs. Consider the ice cannon. It's like metroid meditation in the brinstar bonsai garden! Anyway, very nice. It's got style, which is like funk but it smells a bit better, and you can't go wrong with a bit 'o Chrono-logic. Compliments to the Red Tailed Fox.

Zipp, I totally agree - when I first heard this, I couldn't believe that someone could make something so dark and creepy like the Brinstar track into something upbeat and jazzy - I was shocked in a very pleasant way when I first listened to this remix!

I was a little sad to see that the judges didn't seem to like it quite so much. My favorable take might be because I have no remixing skills at all and thus don't know what to look for or appreciate in the technical sense. I actually liked how the piece flowed aimlessly. It's a quality of Jazz that I like - it can chill and go wherever it wants and still be awesome. You get lost in it, but that's what keeps it from ever getting old - even if you play it over and over.

Nice work RTF - I love this remix!

• 4 weeks later...

RTF delivers again.

I like jazzy remixes (po! is one of my favourite remixers), and I love the Super Metroid soundtrack. But I would have never dreamed of combining those two things! RTF does it in a wonderful manner (the violin playing the theme), and just like some people before me, I like the "aimlessness" of the song. This is what makes it so beautiful.

Instant classic; best mix I've heard in months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thought that parts where the swing feel was lost (ie. 1:04) were kind of awkward?

I agreed with Darkesword's comments about the asian instrument sounding gratuitous. I think the aimless feeling could be attributed to all the different instruments used here.

Overall this is a nice track but some of the rhythms and instrumentation put me off a bit.

• 2 months later...
Am I the only one who thought that parts where the swing feel was lost (ie. 1:04) were kind of awkward?

This song came on my playlist and as soon as that section came up I remembered that I wanted to comment on that. I think it's very awkward. Having that melody played on the 16th offbeats or whatever doesn't sound right at all. I think something similar could have been pulled off but without every single note landing on a 16th offbeat (or whatever). Whatever that rhythmic sample is in the background, it's pretty nice---one of the highlights---but I completely looked it over when paying attention to the offbeat weirdness.

Some things, if not most, don't have many velocity differences (or whatever else contributes to these purposes), or even rhythmic variety. I'm all for not caring about perfect realism, since synthetics are being used anyway, but there's always the problem of becoming too static.

It gets better towards the end. Ah, finally a track that I sort of like where I feel like I can actually review it properly. The whole thing focuses very heavily on arrangement, but I think nuances in various places were overlooked as a result.

This song came on my playlist and as soon as that section came up I remembered that I wanted to comment on that. I think it's very awkward. Having that melody played on the 16th offbeats or whatever doesn't sound right at all. I think something similar could have been pulled off but without every single note landing on a 16th offbeat (or whatever). Whatever that rhythmic sample is in the background, it's pretty nice---one of the highlights---but I completely looked it over when paying attention to the offbeat weirdness.

That was one of my fav parts of the song - not because I thought it was some kind of creative triumph but becuase I thought it sounded very natural and chill.

• 2 years later...

Some of the initial (within the first 30 seconds) background sfx are a little grating, but that doesn't really bog down this mix.

It's still great, smooth, jazzy, relaxing, contemplative, and an all around good listen. A must have for all jazz enthusiasts.

• 4 weeks later...

This is pretty smooth stuff, which is actually strange because it seems to be like one of those drinks where you throw 4 random food items in a blender and that's your energy supplement for the day. Horrible and demeaning analogy, I know, but that's the impression I get.

There's a lot of loungy jazz, some Asian infused 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' style string work and a sort of quazi reggae/dub influence. The shocking thing is the overall sound is bearable. It's actually more than bearable, it's pretty damn nifty. I'm not sure how the mix would have sounded if it were honed down to fit just one of those areas to full capacity; perhaps it would sound better, perhaps it would have turned out boring and lifeless. I don't know why I feel the need to justify decisions that I didn't make, so I'll just sign off simply saying: The mix works for me more than I think it should. Which is very welcome, in my books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

pretty interesting stuff that has a lot of surprises; with the intro, I was expecting a more electronic take on the source, but then it turns into a jazz combo with a fiddle or something lead. Nice piano comping and solos, and a cool rotary epiano mix well with the drums and bass.

Not my favorite style, but still some pretty strong work. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01473 - Super Metroid "Brinstar Bonsai Garden"