Idea - Shining Force 2 remix project

The_Mighty_KELP

I just recently beat Shining Force 2 for the first time, after playing it off and on and restarting several times over a period of 4 years (don't ask). As I was going to my GameFAQs page to update its status in "my games", I noticed that it had come out exactly 20 years ago. And then I got a thought - "It's the 20th anniversary! Surely someone in the illustrious OCR community would be interested in doing a remix project to celebrate!"

So then I came here. And made this post.

....yeah.

Anyone interested?

I want it to be clear that I have no intention of doing any of the work on this project myself (not because I'm lazy, but because I have no valuable skills) - I'm just tossing the idea out there. Ideally, my post would make some guy reading it say, "Hey, that's a great idea! I love Shining Force 2 and its music and I'm just the guy to head up a project like that!" and then that would happen. I know the odds of that happening are dramatically low, but hey, it's worth a shot. Besides, the last time I suggested a mix to a guy, it actually ended up happening. So you'll excuse me if there's a precedent.

Actually, I take that back - I'd be willing to collaborate with someone on a mix if they need vocals, or even a trumpet or french horn part. I've never done anything like it before, but it'd be sweet.

"Hey, that's a great idea!

Yes!

I love Shining Force 2 and its music

Yes! Yes!

and I'm just the guy to head up a project like that!"

..nope.

But that's seriously one of the games I enjoyed the best and the soundtrack is brilliant, and severely underrepresented on OCR. If someone did start a project, I would certainly claim a track later on.

--Eino

And then I got a thought - "It's the 20th anniversary! Surely someone in the illustrious OCR community would be interested in doing a remix project to celebrate!"

*cracks knuckles*

I am a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY big Shining Fan (specifically the older Camelot era, primarily because a lot of the newer games are JP-only releases unfortunately) and I've made it known to a few close homies that I'm incredibly interested in seeing Katamari, Runescape, and Shining project albums spring forth.

Make it in time for the 20th anniversary (of SFII)? heeeeelllll naw. :lol: If someone would like to jump on this (Even for an EP or a non-OCR official album) I'd probably help out with one song, so I tip my hat to anybody who takes a stab at directing/coordinating this.

As for myself, though, I've been focusing more lately on wrapping up some personal projects and original music and I'd like to avoid taking on too many new stuff since I've admittedly fallen WAAAY behind with current collabs I'm involved with (note to project directors: cut me some slack, aaaayyy... ain't easy being a green lantern dattebayo kage and an aspiring musician at the same time :nicework: ; I promise I'll be touching base again soon). However, I have indeed been thinking and planning for many years (especially in the past few months) how to direct a Shining Series project album. I'm just not one of those people who are good at balancing several dozens of projects at the same time on top of personal stuff, so I'd really like to clear up my plate so I can be much more committed to this than I could ever possibly be at the moment.

Again, anybody else has plans/ideas for directing a SF2 or whatever album? go for it (and hit me up). As for me and my behemoth project plan I'm keeping my lips sealed for a while and looking more at the 25th anniversary deadline, and I can assure you I've been rubbing my hands like Birdman with this album idea. >:D

peace

~j

and no, it won't be all vocals. lolololololol. >_>

I just recently beat Shining Force 2 for the first time

Congratulations on beating Shining Force II. I second this idea and have been posting requests for individual mixes, all of which have been ignored.

The Shining series really has no love on this site, with only four remixes total for the franchise. It's a shame really, the Camelot era games have amazing soundtracks.

I shall keep an eye on this thread.

I'm quite pleased to see the responses so far.

Shining Force 1 is my favorite in the series, as it was the first one I played when I was a kid and it introduced me to the entire genre. I'm much more sentimental about the original title's music, as well - I'd love for the proposed project to include its tracks. The battle on the ship music in particular is all kinds of awesome.

Bump, and while I'm here I'll direct you to a couple of albums of Shining Force music:

A symphonic arrangement of SF2,

and an updated version of SF1 (although I don't like it quite as much as the original Genesis version).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...