FFVI Cyan's Theme (METAL REMIX)

ZERO_GEN

Hey everyone! I should let you know that Zero-Gen is my new video game cover band. A few of the songs that we've been doing are based on some of my old covers. This one, for example, is based on my song "Cyanide" (which is on OCRemix).

Had a bit of an issue earlier when someone was accusing us of ripping me off, so I thought I'd clear that up pre-emptively :)

Edited by XMark

pretty sweet intro. very convincing flute

the metal part:

the drums feel too flat to me, the kick drum and toms feels like it is thumping a pillow and recording that. there's no high end to it and no definition. i would eq some attack into the upper ranges and consider dropping some of the middle out of it and boosting the lower end more. same thing with the snare. feels like there is nothing above 500 hz on it.

when you finally bring in the main melody it sounds really sweet, good tone with the dual guitars.

the hi hats are maybe a bit too crunchy sounding, too much 1k or there abouts, gets on the ear's nerves pretty quicky. if you want to brighten them up eq more in the like 8k+ range where it won't sound so grating

arrangement wise i feel like it was a little over the place, it sounds more like a jam out session than say, an album song. which may be what you were going for.

i think with some work this would sound pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

For a five and a half minute piece, this really needs some focus.

The flute is out of key quite often and as the poster above mentioned, the drums are also quite flat. Timing is also an issue when the rhythm guitars come in and this should be addressed in the mix.

Around the 1:52 mark is where things start coming together and the instruments are cohesive. Your different sections flow well and have character, it's really the execution that lets them down.

Overall this feels very much like a first draft but I think with a lot of attention to detail it could take shape.