OCR03045 - *YES* Super Mario Sunshine 'Tutti I Frutti: The Ballad of Piantee Joe'

Palpable

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name(s) - MC Final Sigma, W!SE the all.E

Your real name - Brian McPhee, Jordan Etienne

Your email address - ;

Your website - https://soundcloud.com/mc-final-sigma ; https://soundcloud.com/darkmoocher

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=50715 ; http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=38652

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Super Mario Sunshine

Name of arrangement - Tutti I Frutti: The Ballad of Piantee Joe

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Delfino Plaza, Gelato Beach, Pianta Village

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - Koji Kondo, Shinobu Tanaka ; Nintendo Gamecube

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) -

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

Remix :

Lyrics:

Background and Inspiration:

0:00 - 0:25 = Delfino Plaza

0:26 - 0:30 = Delfino Plaza guitar chromatic chord progression sped up

0:31 - 0:37 = Delfino Plaza musette melody

0:38 - 0:50 = Gelato Beach string countermelody

0:50 - 1:14 = Gelato / Delfino

1:15 - 1:40 = Delfino

1:41 - 1:52 = Pianta Village

1:53 - 2:18 = all sources mixed in together

2:19 - 2:44 = Delfino Plaza (intro reprise) and Delfino Plaza musette melody

2:45 - 3:58 = *mix and match of all sources again*

3:59 - 4:23 = Delfino Plaza musette melody

4:24 - 4:49 = Pianta Village + Delfino Plaza

----------------------------------------------------------------

Delfino Plaza (

)

Gelato Beach (

)

Pianta Village (

)

• 2 months later...

I have been agonizing over this track. It is a really well produced and groovy track and I love it. But I know these source tunes really well and other than the opening vocals and the five notes of the Delfino Plaza backing progression, I cannot hear the sources in this mix. And I've really been trying.

I can't seem to pick out that "Gelato Beach string countermelody" that you've mentioned from 0:38-0:50. Is it the motif you've written in that section (which appears throughout the rest of the track) or is it the countermelody? I just don't recognize it after many, many listens.

I keep hoping if I come back and listen again after a few weeks, I'll hear it... but I just can't. I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to pick out the source usage. I'm sorry. If the source use is there and I'm just being dense, I apologize, but you've hidden it just a bit too well.

You've really captured the feel of the groovy island fruit-seller stand (while giving Piantee Joe some serious attitude!), and I really enjoy this mix. I hope maybe Larry can confirm the source use on this one, if he does, I'll change my vote.

NO

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shariq needs to point out the source to me, because I'm not really hearing it at all, minus the chorus line that is sparsely heard here and there. The track is super fun, and I would love to have someone prove me wrong here, but I'm going to have to pass for now on source usage.

NO (show me the source!)

EDIT: Shariq to the rescue! I still am going to hold out that while they are there, and I'm cool passing it, it's wayyyyy close in terms of obscurity of the source. Still an awesome track, regardless.

YES (Borderline)

Edited by DragonAvenger

|12:32:09| »» <@DarkeSword> you guys having trouble with piantee joe sources?

|12:32:58| »» <DeiaVengen> yup

|12:35:17| »» <@DarkeSword> hrm

|12:37:02| »» <@DarkeSword> gelato beach string counter melody is

|12:37:04| »» <@DarkeSword> right there

|12:41:08| »» <@DarkeSword> rest of the backing track uses gelato beach/delfino main melody which is sort of chopped/syncopated

• 1 month later...

Just gonna say, not being intimately familiar with the source tunes (having never played the game) makes it really difficult to analyse a mix that focuses on small, specific source sections as a repeating motif. That said, I was able to identify the key parts from the sources that form the linchpin of the backing track.

Anyway, super creative. Well produced for sure. The panned backing vocals are a great effect to hammer home the comedic vibe of the lyrics. Everything is balanced well. Really like the deep brass stabs.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, dude, there's no question about this. This is awesome.

very YES

Why, you ask?

1.) Production is slick. Very very slick. Clean. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

2.) No question about source usage, like others have mentioned, while it might be hard to pick out at times, it's because of how radically it's been adapted here. A prime example I could provide would be what happens at 2:19 with the melody from the original at 1:14. Besides changing the instrument, the reinterpretation of the melody itself seats it perfectly into the style, and the backdrop it's set against completely changes the character of that particular melody. There's a lot of really creative stuff happening all over this with the arrangement, and if you're intimately familiar with the originals, I think you can really geek out.

3.) The vocals/lyrics? I mean, "Chili could mean cool but it also means pepper"? I fucking love the vocals and lyrics. I think a really great job was done in editing and processing them. I love the performances, too. My compliments to Final Sigma and W!SE the all.E. Lyrics this sharp should be kept out of reach of children and infants.

4.) No, seriously, I love this.