Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I hosted my first smash tourney yesterday evening. It was a great success. I had something like twenty participants and, while the skill level was mixed, there wasn't anyone who was unstoppable or uncontested. standings

Unfortunately, my peach didn't do as well as I'd of liked, but then again my mind was more on making sure the tourney went smoothly, than it was on winning.

I think this sparked interest in my area. We're definitely going to have another one soon, and...PEACH WILL HAVE HER REVENGE....

• 2 weeks later...
Says tournament stats and simple observation. I like both Link and Young Link, but man does Young Link suck compared to his older counterpart. Link has more of an edge than his younger self. Every real tournament caliber player I know that plays Link will all agree that Young Link is weak.

Young Link's speed and sex kick make up for his lack of strength.

Just play Link fast... and his sex kick is good too. When you actually get real good with Link, you'll be saying "Who's Young Link?"

Edit: I'm not saying you shouldn't play Young Link, but the older one definitely outweighs the younger one in terms of killing and winning.

My strategy with young link is completely different than my strat for Adult. I tried playing adult link like I do with young link and man was that a huge difference.

I really can't explain my young link strat, but it consists of using the tools in a different way than intended.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice save, Old Man Time. I'll admit I almost forgot about this thread (shame on me.)

Now, to add something relevent to the thread, I'd like to proclaim that I finally have my own copy of Smash. Hurrah! Unfortunately, that means jack without living, breathing, thinking opponents to play against. The stupid computer is... well a machine. It does super human things on a regular basis.

Nice save, Old Man Time. I'll admit I almost forgot about this thread (shame on me.)

Now, to add something relevent to the thread, I'd like to proclaim that I finally have my own copy of Smash. Hurrah! Unfortunately, that means jack without living, breathing, thinking opponents to play against. The stupid computer is... well a machine. It does super human things on a regular basis.

The best example I've seen of stupid yet super human computer is in the Worms series of games, where they will regularly make seemingly impossible shots using the bazooka, yet will fail to notice that his guy is standing right next to an explosive barrel.

In Smash, it's the same thing, where the computer uses seemingly impossible cheapness to kill you, yet you can easily win by figuring out their pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a long time since the orignal thread. In fact, I think that the original reason I joined OCR is because of that old thread. Anyway, I was just wondering if this is mostly for the new one coming out or for the old one(s) we already have, or if it's just for everything relating to smash.

Been a long time since the orignal thread. In fact, I think that the original reason I joined OCR is because of that old thread. Anyway, I was just wondering if this is mostly for the new one coming out or for the old one(s) we already have, or if it's just for everything relating to smash.

Pretty much anything Smash Bros-related is alright here.

I've always been nervous of posting here, I'm not a hardcore player. And I'm not about to go through a few hundred pages to see if it's already been mentioned, but I want to throw my idea in. Instead of new colorations, what about new costumes? Example: Mario, SMB Mario, SMB2 Mario, Paper Mario, N64 Mario, but they all have the same moves, weight, power, speed, etc., and are all represented by the same icon on the menu. Just like changing colors for team battles. Only thing is, Nintendo would need to re-sprite all the old characters for the new moves. Neato, if you ask me. And at least that'd get rid of people asking for variations of other characters. A character like fox would have every costum from every game he's been in. Unfortunatly, a character like Game+Watch would only have one costume, and would still need alt. colors.

Also, Deku, Goron, and Zora masks as items, with new models for each character, for each transformation. Deku Pikachu, Goron Bowser, etc...

ed;218856']Instead of new colorations' date=' what about new costumes? Example: Mario, SMB Mario, SMB2 Mario, Paper Mario, N64 Mario, but they all have the same moves, weight, power, speed, etc., and are all represented by the same icon on the menu. Just like changing colors for team battles. Only thing is, Nintendo would need to re-sprite all the old characters for the new moves. Neato, if you ask me. And at least that'd get rid of people asking for variations of other characters. A character like fox would have every costum from every game he's been in. Unfortunatly, a character like Game+Watch would only have one costume, and would still need alt. colors.

Also, Deku, Goron, and Zora masks as items, with new models for each character, for each transformation. Deku Pikachu, Goron Bowser, etc...[/quote']

It's really a neat idea, and it's something I've always wanted to see, but I'd rather it not happen. Look at it this way: to make...say...SMB2 Mario, SSBB's as-yet-unknown developer would have to use disc space that could be used for more characters and levels and instead use it to make a Mario who is EXACTLY like the main Mario, only dressed differently. Color variations take up less space, which saves more room for other features.

And besides, if they DID make differently dressed characters, then I'd rather see them have slight differences, such as Dr. Mario is to Mario and Young Link is to Link.

It's really a neat idea, and it's something I've always wanted to see, but I'd rather it not happen. Look at it this way: to make...say...SMB2 Mario, SSBB's as-yet-unknown developer would have to use disc space that could be used for more characters and levels and instead use it to make a Mario who is EXACTLY like the main Mario, only dressed differently. Color variations take up less space, which saves more room for other features.

And besides, if they DID make differently dressed characters, then I'd rather see them have slight differences, such as Dr. Mario is to Mario and Young Link is to Link.

Nah, I don't think so. How much space can a SMB2 Mario model take up? It's only two dimensions. Besides, most games don't even use up all the space on the disc provided. Is it so bad they push the limit?

I'm not saying to get rid of Young Link. I'm just saying that LoZ Link, LttP Link, OoT Adult Link, and TP Link are all different people. For that matter, look at OoT Young Link, WW Link, and LA Link are all different people, too...

I dont know anything about making games... But I think that just cause it looks 2d dose not mean its a 2d sprite... This is just a guess but Remember Game and watch... well I figure he was a 3d model but they made him look 2d my making the rest of the model invisible...

This is just speculation though.

Look at a cube. It's made of 6 2d squares. There's nothing in it. Game and Watch actually is 3D, but has a pseudo-2D appearance. A game like Paper Mario is a better example. For a character like a Paper Mario costume, the whole thing would be completely 2D. The only thing is that the developers would need to make a "Paper-Mario" sprite for EVERY SINGLE frame of animation he has. THAT's what might make things harder. Luckily, games like Paper Mario, or SMB, or SMB2 don't have animations in-between jumps, or leading into attacks, etc.. Although you can't forget that the memory needed for a single frame of animation for a jumping mario sprite is much smaller than animating a 3D model of one.

The real problems would come up with making the 3D characters.

I know people are psyched about the multiplayer, but I wonder what additions there will be to Brawl's single player. I hope they have more specialized single player modes for each character or have a 1player mode thats more epic and an actual adventure that takes more than one sitting to beat. Hell maybe throw RPG elements into it by redeeming coins to gain special abilities or increase damage or speed for that 1player mode. Not very original, but with SSB's gameplay, I'd think it would be fun and perhaps a decent tutorial for beginners.