Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Man, I've just read some of the past few pages and, I've got to say, I really am sad to hear so many of you guys arguing about how to play Smash and what is or isn't fun.

I got to the Digipen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA. About 850 gamers (a good portion of which consider themselves "hardcore") under one roof. You wanna talk competitive? MLG has nothing on these people; they play for money, while some of these guys play for limbs.

Every Friday some of the Seniors host Smash Club, where, as I'm sure you can guess, people get together to play Melee. About 35 - 40 people every week cram into a small classroom made to hold about 25 people, just to play Smash. You wanna know how they play?

Every way conceivable.

The casual guys play all sorts of crazy themed matches. The hardcore competitive players play no items on a few select stages. We make up event matches and time each other. We play in no specific way. Whatever floats our boats at the time, that's how we play.

There is NO right way to play Smash; that's not how the game was made.

You wanna know the truth? When it comes to pure skill, if you REALLY want to find out who is the most skilled at their character, you CAN'T have items on, because items interfere with your display of mastery of a character's moveset and how well you can utilize those moves to counter any other player.

You want to have fun? Play any way you want. Items are there to make things chaotic. That's their function. Not to make the fighting engine any deeper, not to provide complements to fighting styles; they exist for pure randomness.

That's it. End of story.

--Jack Kieser

It is funny how people keep on seeing that there was an argument about items, then think they are bringing something new to the table with "there is no right way to play the game" when that's EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole time. I had to reiterate the point a million times just for it to get acknowledged by like one person.

I'm glad that you agree with me though; it's just dumb that you assume that everyone in the argument was trying to say that their way is the only way to play. That was Atmuh. I argued AGAINST that.

so guys what do you think of this idea? (taken from the wii thread)

"now thats an interesting idea... having your mii as a unlockable character in SSBB. like they all would have the same attacks across all consoles. it would just look like your mii."

i mean maybe there could be different attack sets just on how tall you have made you mii.

so guys what do you think of this idea? (taken from the wii thread)

"now thats an interesting idea... having your mii as a unlockable character in SSBB. like they all would have the same attacks across all consoles. it would just look like your mii."

i mean maybe there could be different attack sets just on how tall you have made you mii.

That would be sweet! Seeing me kicking the shit out of Samus or Link.

Soren? FREAKING YES! A mage would be sweet.

normal_soren.jpg

I still would like to see Ephraim from FE: Sacred Stones, or Hector from the first one. If we're going for people with weapons, let's diversify a little, 'k?

EDIT: Where the heck was I *just* reading a list of characters??? I'm so lost...

EDIT 2: Ah, somehow I wound up way back on page 44. Does anyone else have this problem where if you click on "Last Page" to get into a thread, it takes you to the middle page, while showing that you are on the last page, and then shows that there are more pages than there really are? (to clarify, when I came into this thread today it showed the content from page 44, it showed that I was presently on page 88, and it showed that the last page was numbered over a hundred)

• 2 weeks later...

So, as to bump this thread, might I bring up a request? Lets get back to characters we want to see, or something like that.

Diddy Kong - With Peanut Gun (and Jetpack?). Hate to see him as a DK clone.

Bomberman - With a history full of nintendo games, I can't see why not. Bombs away, and so on, and so forth...

Jack - Not everyone will get this one. Harvest Moon. Another series with a Nintendo-laden back-catalog. I mean, C'mon, he's got pickaxes, hammers, scythes...

Krystal - From Starfox, with her magic staff.

Megaman - As long as he isn't a Samus clone, I'll be satisfied.

Crono - I can only pray

Banjo-Kazooie - I can only pray harder

... I've got a few more I can't remember right now. Thoughts? Who do you want to see?

On another note, it's been months. Does anyone know what they're saying in "A Main Theme With Emotion" yet? It's latin, so we would just need someone to translate ...right?

Aiai from Super Monkey Ball would be interesting. (I think that's his name...)

Lizzie, George, or Ralph from Rampage.

Would Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark be qualified?

Another idea I had that probably wouldn't work but would be very interesting: Slime from the Dragon Warrior series. I dunno even know if that would be qualifiable but seeing as DW started out on Nintendo I figured it would be worth mentioning.

Another idea I had that probably wouldn't work but would be very interesting: Slime from the Dragon Warrior series. I dunno even know if that would be qualifiable but seeing as DW started out on Nintendo I figured it would be worth mentioning.

I could see it as a trophy, if they're even still doing that...

B.o.B. from the SNES game with the same name

(he's perfect b/c he's got a smash attack and super power ups. and up-B move simular to game & watches up-B in ssbm.)

Crono would be sweet. fo' sho

Mii's either in item form or major playable character

Paper Mario or Pixelated Mario

Captian Omar and his legion of Pikmon

Ash Katchum who would act like Peaches turnip attacks but only throw pokeballs. Except he would only have 6 in keeping with the games

got some more but im outta time.

whatcha think?

Orpheus from battle of olympus as long as he's not a pit clone. billy cohen from resident evil zero, pico from f-zero, maybe ridley or a cool space pirate to get some more metroid charecters in there, and....poo! from earthbound....idk this game just needs come out already.

As much as I doubt it,some Metal Slug characters would be awesome.I mean all they have to do is do exactly what they did with Snake,take away any actual fire arms and simply replace them with explosive weapons.(Rocket Launcher,Grenades,Iron Lizard,Etc.)

Perhaps I hope too much..but boy,that would be a literal fuckton of awesome.

If Square-Enix and Nintendo work out some IP sharing for Smash Bros, a slime would be a cool addition in whatever capacity, especially given the recent Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime game for DS.

Anyway, my wiishlist (sorry, had to say it) of added characters would probably be:

-Crono

-Capt. Olimar

-A metroid as an item

-Titania, Ike, Soren, any Laguz, or any one cool character from Fire Emblem: Path of Raiance (Sothe is supposed to be pretty hardcore in the new one, so I guess he wouldn't be a bad choice).

-A character from Advance Wars, especially from Dual Strike (dunno who, since there doesn't seem to be that one, particularly iconic character)

-Elebits as an item

-A Chocobo as an item

-Maybe either Simon Belmont from Castlevania or Jonathon or...whatever the girl's name is from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

Having Capt. Olimar seems somewhat possible, same with maybe a FE:PoR character, but I doubt the rest of my list (fun to dream though).

If Square-Enix and Nintendo work out some IP sharing for Smash Bros, a slime would be a cool addition in whatever capacity, especially given the recent Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime game for DS.

Anyway, my wiishlist (sorry, had to say it) of added characters would probably be:

-Crono

-Capt. Olimar

-A metroid as an item

-Titania, Ike, Soren, any Laguz, or any one cool character from Fire Emblem: Path of Raiance (Sothe is supposed to be pretty hardcore in the new one, so I guess he wouldn't be a bad choice).

-A character from Advance Wars, especially from Dual Strike (dunno who, since there doesn't seem to be that one, particularly iconic character)

-Elebits as an item

-A Chocobo as an item

-Maybe either Simon Belmont from Castlevania or Jonathon or...whatever the girl's name is from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

Having Capt. Olimar seems somewhat possible, same with maybe a FE:PoR character, but I doubt the rest of my list (fun to dream though).

we all know that chrono in a smash bros would be godly, but what would you do if you pass a screen, and see chrono fighting... sephiroth.

(at least I would cry in jou, just the thought of such a thing existing)

I'd love to see Bionic Commando (already perfect with the extending arm), the ExciteBike dude (he could have a weird mechanic where he can make jumps pop up out of no where and other crazy stuff) and a mix of every shoto with Ryu as the main one (color swap would give you the ability to be Ken, Akuma, Dan and dare I say...Sean?)

-NOBODY FROM FF7, GOD DAMNIT. IF CLOUD EVER SHOWS UP IN A SMASH BROS GAME, I WILL THROW A FUCKING TANTRUM

This I gotta see. Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith on the wagon, please.

Anyways... Yeah, I'd like to see these:

Anybody from Golden Sun (GBA)

Beatrix from FFIX (Fat Chance)

And anyone from FFVII. *waits for tantrum*

Any of these would make a truly EPIC game:

Phoenix Wright

The King of All Cosmos

GENO

The Postman from Majora's Mask

Magikoopa

Not that I expect to see any of these. BTW I heard that Cheese Weapon is a secret character. Well, until now, that is...