Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

They're just starting to branch out - Snake is evidence of that. Do you think any Smash game in the future will ever be a GAME fighter instead of a Nintnendo fighter - characters licensed from many different franchises, different companies, all brought together in a game like this?

It's probably been suggested and shot down by lots of people in this thread, but just think about it. The idea of Nintendo franchises meeting together and fighting is an awesome idea alone - but there are so many more that they could include. For the sake of being realistic, they could oust many of the non-important Nintendo characters and replace them with some from other companies. I get the feeling that once Brawl comes out, it will still be awesome, but the idea will be somewhat stale. How many times can you just slightly edit the same characters for rerelease? (Don't get me wrong, I think Brawl will be incredible - it's just that an idea like this could totally breathe new life into it.) I think something like this could be a lot of fun for the game industry in general - every star character, licensed and included in a totally ridiculous fighting game. Who knows, could bring certain companies closer together.

Now for an actual realistic idea, as the above is likely never going to happen - it was just an idea I had bouncing around. In Brawl, I really hope they revamp the costume system. This has also probably been mentioned, but again, I don't really keep up with this thread. Instead of color-switching, I want to actually be able to change the costume my character is wearing - go from Biker, Wario Ware style Wario to yellow and purple Badass Wario. Change from TP link to cel-shaded link. Something like that. If they wanted to go all out, they could totally scrap the idea of clone characters and instead incorporate them into the costume idea - have each costume play SLIGHTLY differently. Switch from Mario to Dr. Mario to Sunshine Mario (with a FLUDD to use, of course) as a COSTUME, or for any of the Pokemon characters, each costume could be a different evolution of that character. Things like that. No clone characters and way more customization! Maybe even have a minor character editor screen to include in some way to outfit your fighters with different accessories, or maybe change colors there, so on. The less times two people fight using EXACTLY the same character, the better. Would be nice to have some personalization.

On a totally random note, it would be cool to have both Samurai Goroh and Waluigi in Brawl. That aside, I need a Wii really badly.

I really hope that they don't implement the motion sensing techniques of the wii controller into the game. it would make real strategic playing kind of tacky. I wish this game would also be released for the gamecube.

Also, is SSBM supposed to be released this year?

I really hope that they don't implement the motion sensing techniques of the wii controller into the game. it would make real strategic playing kind of tacky. I wish this game would also be released for the gamecube.

Also, is SSBM supposed to be released this year?

Last I checked, SSBB is set to use Gamecube controllers instead of the Wiimote.

Also, Magikoopa? It's not even a unique character, it's just one more of another, like Goombas.

If yer gonna say Magikoopa, at least say whats-her-name, the hag from Paper Mario, Kammy Koopa? She has character, but she's just not right for the game fighting style wise.

Uhhh, Magikoopa WAS a unique character. Yes, it was the generic name for a set of enemies, but it was also the name of the antagonist in the Yoshi's Island games.

They've stated that its going be using a normal control scheme. Yeah this year.

Obscure characters are cool, first it's hilarious to beat someone with Mr. Game & Watch and his key and turtle and sausages. Secondly, it lets people know about Nintendo's past.

You guys haven't forgotten about all thoses gameboy pocket and color Game & Watch Gallery games, have you? granted they starred mario but you could change the visuals to back the the original look. Not as obscure as one might think.

Lists? how bout lists of what we don't need.

No MORE:

pokemon, enough is enough. no more playable characters

Moves options, complexity can get bad

More items, change some of them but keep the over all number of them that same

Yeah let's throw in Cave Story characters while we're at it. :banghead:

I'll go out on a limb and predict Brawl will implement neato motion controls. Sakurai has had a lot of time to experiment and I would a useful control scheme. I doubt it would outright replace Melee's system, but rather add to it. New move sets, move combinations with buttons and swipes and the like. If I were Sakurai I would definitely experiment with those ideas.

They've stated that its going be using a normal control scheme. Yeah this year.

Obscure characters are cool, first it's hilarious to beat someone with Mr. Game & Watch and his key and turtle and sausages. Secondly, it lets people know about Nintendo's past.

You guys haven't forgotten about all thoses gameboy pocket and color Game & Watch Gallery games, have you? granted they starred mario but you could change the visuals to back the the original look. Not as obscure as one might think.

Lists? how bout lists of what we don't need.

No MORE:

pokemon, enough is enough. no more playable characters

Moves options, complexity can get bad

More items, change some of them but keep the over all number of them that same

We already know that there will now be crawling (being able to duck and move) and it looks like they're adding specials for each character. The specials look to be stimulated by some sort of item though, if you've seen the original teaser. Maybe this means you will be able to turn specials off?

I'll go out on a limb and predict Brawl will implement neato motion controls. Sakurai has had a lot of time to experiment and I would a useful control scheme. I doubt it would outright replace Melee's system, but rather add to it. New move sets, move combinations with buttons and swipes and the like. If I were Sakurai I would definitely experiment with those ideas.

it's been stated that because of the fast pace of the game, motion controls will be unlikey. i hope that if they do decide to use the wii remote the controls wont be overwhelming and take away from the game expirience.

it's been stated that because of the fast pace of the game, motion controls will be unlikey. i hope that if they do decide to use the wii remote the controls wont be overwhelming and take away from the game expirience.

I'm pretty sure there WILL be use of the Wii-remote for playing, since it's required for every Wii game released. I don't think Nintendo should force new Smash players to buy GameCube controllers.

What'd I'd really like to see in the game, more than new characters, levels, items, or even updated graphics, is a more balanced system. For example, being a Link player, it's annoying to get screwed by Sheik over and over again (a person who wrote up a Link guide on Smash Boards puts the matchup as 8-2). As much as I like the King of All Cosmos, this is really what I want to see. While the effects of imbalances diminish a little at higher, tournament play levels, at n00b levels (which, frankly, most players are at, including myself), these imbalances are frustrating.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Kamek. I was indeed referring to that specific Magikoopa, though it's been a while since I've played Yoshi's Island, so I forgot the name.

Heh, don't be so quick to underestimate link when against shiek. A good player as link can effectively harrass shiek with his long range attacks. bombs can be really helpful -when link is holding a bomb, shiek has a much harder time pulling off the dash attack- the bomb will stop shiek right away if he is hit when charging. Also, air dodges in a strategic direction, followed by a hookshot air attack are effective against shiek. Consider also, that link's spin attack responds quicker than many of shiek's attack's.

Just trying to help with a few suggestions.

Also, link is fortunate to have a shield that can block against shiek's needle storm when standing or crouching.

What'd I'd really like to see in the game, more than new characters, levels, items, or even update graphics, is a more balanced system. For example, being a Link player, it's annoying to get screwed by Sheik over and over again (a person who wrote up a Link guide on Smash Boards puts the matchup as 8-2). As much as I like the King of All Cosmos, this is really what I want to see. While the effects of imbalances diminish a little at higher, tournament play levels, at n00b levels (which, frankly, most players are at, including myself), these imbalances are frustrating.

Well, first of all, I would agree that some imbalances are annoying. (marth and roy and their GATDANG ledge hogging move *over A* erg) but When you start balancing Characters too far in a game they all seem like the same character. i want the characters to be as unique as possible. (same with their usefulness with certain weapons, its all about knowing the characters and deciding which is right for you and foregoing some stuff to get other good stuff. which is why items are not needed to be removed to make the game balanced or "fair"

It's all about choosing a character and wheighing their pros and cons. My fav is Link, a little slow but pretty heavy for the speed he does have. His stab the ground and up B on land are his two best moves. But lets say sheik is amazing at beating link off... the stage. you should learn other characters to combat shiek. lets say Ganondorf, go learn his awesome move selection and next time you play a shiek, pick Ganondorf to whoop their ass because they thought you'd pick Link.

I think it's possible to balance a game while retaining the uniqueness of each character. Case in point (working off of my limited experience with fighters): Guilty Gear. Each character is vastly different than the others, yet the game is considered to be one of the more balanced fighters out there.