Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Well, first of all, I would agree that some imbalances are annoying. (marth and roy and their GATDANG ledge hogging move *over A* erg) but When you start balancing Characters too far in a game they all seem like the same character. i want the characters to be as unique as possible. (same with their usefulness with certain weapons, its all about knowing the characters and deciding which is right for you and foregoing some stuff to get other good stuff. which is why items are not needed to be removed to make the game balanced or "fair"

It's all about choosing a character and wheighing their pros and cons. My fav is Link, a little slow but pretty heavy for the speed he does have. His stab the ground and up B on land are his two best moves. But lets say sheik is amazing at beating link off... the stage. you should learn other characters to combat shiek. lets say Ganondorf, go learn his awesome move selection and next time you play a shiek, pick Ganondorf to whoop their ass because they thought you'd pick Link.

Ah, so THAT'S why Link always tries so hard to save her.

It's all about choosing a character and wheighing their pros and cons. My fav is Link, a little slow but pretty heavy for the speed he does have. His stab the ground and up B on land are his two best moves. But lets say sheik is amazing at beating link off... the stage. you should learn other characters to combat shiek. lets say Ganondorf, go learn his awesome move selection and next time you play a shiek, pick Ganondorf to whoop their ass because they thought you'd pick Link.
...that will not work, Ganondorf's recovery is obviously WORSE than Links unless you recover OVER them, which Sheik can just hit you back off the stage. Just picking a different character than you normally do won't help you either, no one is going to go "oh no he normally plays as Doc and now he's playing as Fox, I'm completely flabbergasted and I will instantly lose from the confusion that they're two different characters."

Basic point, that won't work. You have to check out your situation and exploit weaknesses. Some characters have less weaknesses. They are top tier.

In all seriousness, if you go up to someone who's actually GOOD in Smash, and you tell them that your main is Link, they will INSTANTLY think "noob". Link is always played by all the newbie kids. I have no idea why, he just is. I've never lost a money match against a Link because they aren't good enough to handle a Falco or Sheik or even a Doc. I haven't seen more good Links then I can count off the fingers of my hands. It's possible to be good with him, but it's hard, and if you ever play in tournaments you have A LOT more to deal with than a Fox or Marth.

In all seriousness, if you go up to someone who's actually GOOD in Smash, and you tell them that your main is Link, they will INSTANTLY think "noob". Link is always played by all the newbie kids. I have no idea why, he just is.

I think it's because they use his spin attack as a real crutch. Ever listen to a "spin attack-trigger happy" noob play? You just keep hearing that sound over and over again. "Sss-yer-ahhhh!"

Sorry that sound is kinda hard to type.:???:

Link can be formidable against any of the other characters. As someone before mentioned, noobs who over use his spin attack will get owned consistently. They under estimate is ability to kick in the air as effectively as Fox or Falco though he doesn't have the speed or height to his jump. Generally people don't realize how quick his ending blow attack is. If you know how to time it so his sword doesn't stick in the ground it's tremendously fast and versatile. Someone who understands links combo rhythm can compete with the best of them no problem.

Just keep at him. He owns.

...that will not work, Ganondorf's recovery is obviously WORSE than Links unless you recover OVER them, which Sheik can just hit you back off the stage. Just picking a different character than you normally do won't help you either, no one is going to go "oh no he normally plays as Doc and now he's playing as Fox, I'm completely flabbergasted and I will instantly lose from the confusion that they're two different characters."

Basic point, that won't work. You have to check out your situation and exploit weaknesses. Some characters have less weaknesses. They are top tier.

In all seriousness, if you go up to someone who's actually GOOD in Smash, and you tell them that your main is Link, they will INSTANTLY think "noob". Link is always played by all the newbie kids. I have no idea why, he just is. I've never lost a money match against a Link because they aren't good enough to handle a Falco or Sheik or even a Doc. I haven't seen more good Links then I can count off the fingers of my hands. It's possible to be good with him, but it's hard, and if you ever play in tournaments you have A LOT more to deal with than a Fox or Marth.

So you didn't like my hypothetical, huh? oh well, I tried. I was going for theme, you know. But I play a mean ganondorf and could probably be a shiek at same skill level. and Double Props for ignoring my first part of the sentence, completely misunderstanding the second part and then repeating the first idea in your rebuttle. you're the man now, dog

Anyhoo, the moral of my story was to get good at a few characters, mix thing up and the like. That way, if you run into a character that preys on your characters weaknesses you can easily switch to a different character THAT PLAYS DIFFERENTLY so that when they try to exploit those weaknesses, they might not be there to exploit.

I to hate spin-attack abusing noobs. Link is my second best character (Kirby the first and C.Falcon the third) and I always own my little cousins with him. The first thing they think is that he is good and that will probably have a chance at winning with him. The first thing they do is abuse the spin-attack. They don't get that it is so easy to avoid and counter. However I do know this one guy that plays a real mean Link. He is constently using projectiles to keep you away until he decides to attack you. he utilizes the sheild a lot to. I can still beat him with Kirby on some occasions though.

Anyhoo, the moral of my story was to get good at a few characters, mix thing up and the like. That way, if you run into a character that preys on your characters weaknesses you can easily switch to a different character THAT PLAYS DIFFERENTLY so that when they try to exploit those weaknesses, they might not be there to exploit.

No need to get good with more than one character. If you're good with one of the space animals, you don't need to play with another character, they're so god damn good. Sure it helps to play with other people, but if you focus on one dude you'll be fantastic with him, other than being ok with two characters. If you're really good at the game you should know the weaknesses of the higher tier characters. (Also no matter what you said before, you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong, think of a better example next time)
I do know this one guy that plays a real mean Link. He is constently using projectiles to keep you away until he decides to attack you. he utilizes the sheild a lot to. I can still beat him with Kirby on some occasions though.

No matter how good he is with Link, what I'm trying to say is, he has SO MUCH MORE TO COMPENSATE FOR THAN A FOX PLAYER. Even with items it's hard for Link to deal high damage with most attacks, and not too many kill moves. Pretty much all of Fox's smash attacks can kill you when you're over or at 80%, not to mention most of his air attacks, and the attacks that don't easily set you up for being hit by a killing smash attack

It sounds like EazyP likes fox just a little too much. Are you gay for Fox, Easy P? I bet you are. Fox hitting me with a smash attack at 80% doesn't bother me too much. It's the direction that matters. (I play Peach rather regularly and as far as she flies and can still recover, plus the MENACING forward+A air attack (crown slap pwnage!) means I'm used to characters who float easily. Fox is just too easy to toss off and counter.)

Fox hitting me with a smash attack at 80% doesn't bother me too much.

yeah uh that kills a player you nub

Fox, Sheik, and Marth have less weaknesses and are generally better characters than the others - as in, it takes much less work to be fucking awesome with Marth than it does to be fucking awesome with Jigglypuff. That's the basis for the tier system of any game - how good a character is.

yeah uh that kills a player you nub

Uh...less than you'd think, actually. At any rate, Fox players soon start having extreme difficulty getting a chance to blast me off. They either mistime an attack or do something stupid like being feinted off the edge of the stage.

Generally people don't realize how quick his ending blow attack is. If you know how to time it so his sword doesn't stick in the ground it's tremendously fast and versatile.

Being able to L Cancel well also makes Link's ending blow attack much more "available." By this I mean that if you can't L Cancel, this move is risky to attempt, because of the lag time if you miss. If you can L Cancel, then it's much more safe to use the move.

It sounds like EazyP likes fox just a little too much. Are you gay for Fox, Easy P? I bet you are. Fox hitting me with a smash attack at 80% doesn't bother me too much. It's the direction that matters. (I play Peach rather regularly and as far as she flies and can still recover, plus the MENACING forward+A air attack (crown slap pwnage!) means I'm used to characters who float easily. Fox is just too easy to toss off and counter.)
I don't use Fox. For space animal purposes, I use Falco, he's much more my style (D-Air will destroy you, Pillar Combos are epic). The fact is that Fox IS the best character in the game.

Peach's F-Air isn't that good, takes a while to come out, and I'd rather use B-Air. The Foxes you play must be terrible Fox players because a good Fox player would just keep you off the stage as soon as he gets you off, or anyone for that matter. Peach does have a good recovery, but that doesn't mean anything when your enemy bats you off the stage with a B-Air over and over or edge hogs. Name what you'd do in a situation and I'd come back at you. For now I'll just say you try and get back on normally. Guess what? Shine spike. After 2 of those (pretty easy to hit the 2nd when you hit the first) you can't get back on the stage.

You should read Ken's Peach Theory, you know, the Ken who is the best person in the world in this game? Here's what he has to say...

"All peach players,(who main peach and are good) are either gay, Effeminate, metrosexual or a big fat white guy~"

If you don't believe me, look it up, it's his sig in Smashboards

chrono26: Fox's weight actually ends up helping it out than hurting him. He makes it back to the stage fast after jumps helping him combo. Even though he's heavy, he's the fastest character in the game. Even if he falls fast he has two EXTREMELY GOOD recoveries to get back on the level. The only disadvantage he gets from that is that people can chain grab him, and do some Fox only combos, which don't match up to a Infinite Shine combo, which goes until you die

SFC Ferret: It pretty much will kill you on all stages but ones with high ceilings like Kirby's Dreamland N64. It will kill you on most default tourney levels. Also, the Fox people you play are also probably crap

Also, Fox has the quickest move in a game, that also acts as a spike and projectile reversal. Yes, the shine. It comes out in 1 frame, something that makes a BIG difference in this game. That move itself sets up infinite combos to your doom.

The real fact is, this won't drastically change your game if you want to play the game for fun. I speak the game how it's played in tourney situations. 1v1. All that jazz. If you want to win, I won't blame you for picking Fox, I won't blame you for being cheap with him (My friend always loved Fox from Starfox, his favorite Nintendo game, so he plays as Fox no matter what, I can't say he's trying to win every game he just likes Fox). He's just the best character in the game, end of story

I hope that when people get really into Brawl they won't start coming up with all these cute little names for moves they've invented ("wavedashing" and the like). It always seemed cheesy and pointless to me, especially because as far as I know the developers themselves didn't come up with the names and arguably didn't even know the moves existed (though I've heard otherwise from some people). Course, there's always the fact that I was never able to even DO any of those moves in Melee, so that probably makes me a bit biased.

Incidentally, how did everyone wind up calling Fox's Reflector move the "shine"? I first started hearing it from my friends who played smash and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Uh...less than you'd think, actually. At any rate, Fox players soon start having extreme difficulty getting a chance to blast me off. They either mistime an attack or do something stupid like being feinted off the edge of the stage.

suuure they do

I hope that when people get really into Brawl they won't start coming up with all these cute little names for moves they've invented ("wavedashing" and the like). It always seemed cheesy and pointless to me, especially because as far as I know the developers themselves didn't come up with the names and arguably didn't even know the moves existed (though I've heard otherwise from some people).
In Brawl the rolls look A LOT faster, so Wavedashing is possibly eliminated unless you have a character with a terrible roll (like Yoshi or Samus has now). Wavedashing was known of by the developers in the debug menu they have it listed as something along the lines of super ground slide or something like that. Also things like fast fall and such where in since the original game, as was direction influencing. Shine is just easier to type so I use it, also I like to use sex kick because it's just more fun to say.

All fighters have coined terms after a while, it's just players making the game more of their own :P