Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Exactly, like the downright lowly things that developers are doing with the 360 - releasing unfinished games, charging for additional content, etc. Oh, the horror.

Anyway, I think that there will be a lot of new characters (amongst other new things)on this game. After, all , this is a new Smash Brothers game, not just a Madden NFL update. Although none of us can truly confirm Ridley at this time, it is more likely than not that he will be there.

Edit: Also, about dsx100, you mentioned Ridley would tower over the other characters because of his size. Suppose he was that big. In melee, the biggest characters are all low-bottom tier. DK is in low tier. Bowser and Mewtwo are both bottom tier. Being big is not a good thing. Sakurai made the big characters slow and they boast giant hitboxes, making them easy to combo. Consider how easy it is to land a rest on gigabowser with Jiggs. It's like that with all attacks on the big characters. Only the best players can play competitively with the fat characters. The higher the level of play though, the more obselete they become, until the only safe characters to use are the top 5 in the tiers: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Peach (though she's often debatable). My point is- if Brawl follows the pattern of Melee, a giant Ridley would the punching bag ftl.

Ridley is not Bowser or DK sized. He is much, much, much, much (get the picture), much bigger than those two. He is so big to the point to keep him authentic, he would have to be on the same level as Giga Bowser as far as defense and flinching go. He is also very fast. He isn't some slow moving fat and stupid boss. Basically I am saying that it is very unlikely that there would be a really authentic Ridely in the game. He is too big and powerful. Yes, a very dumbed down of version of Ridley is possible. One that is Bowser sized and can't fly and is probably very slow. But I just don't see that happening. Nintendo likes keeping the characters authentic. I am also personally agianst a dumbed down version of Ridley. Also this flight issue, Mewtwo can only fly in the anime, not the game. Kirby and Pit can't fly during gameplay, they can just multijump. I'm not sure about Metakight though.

Ridley is not Bowser or DK sized. He is much, much, much, much (get the picture), much bigger than those two. He is so big to the point to keep him authentic, he would have to be on the same level as Giga Bowser as far as defense and flinching go. He is also very fast. He isn't some slow moving fat and stupid boss. Basically I am saying that it is very unlikely that there would be a really authentic Ridely in the game. He is too big and powerful. Yes, a very dumbed down of version of Ridley is possible. One that is Bowser sized and can't fly and is probably very slow. But I just don't see that happening. Nintendo likes keeping the characters authentic. I am also personally agianst a dumbed down version of Ridley. Also this flight issue, Mewtwo can only fly in the anime, not the game. Kirby and Pit can't fly during gameplay, they can just multijump. I'm not sure about Metakight though.
What if Ridley was in the background causing a ruckus? Like, shooting stuff at the level?

Funny thing about Ridley: His size changes depending of games.

The original ridley was about this big

metroid_1.gif

Which is a little bit taller than Samus. Keeping with his dragon shape, you could leave him about as tall as Bowser, with a longer tail, and wings taking up the bulk of the carapace. You could make him fast, but then he would have to suffer a lot of knockback (which actually happened in some fights). Being a big target with "light flyier" capacity could compensate for having powerful attacks.

Dude. Shut up. Come off of the size and flight issue. Authenticity isn't exactly abundant in this game in terms of character size.

Kirby is 8 inches tall..but he's not that small compared to Mario who's 155cm (don't feel like converting know...that's the measurement I can remember)...Pikachu is 1 foot 4 inches tall...but he looks the same size as Kirby...OMG I HATE THIS GAME NOW AND CAN'T STAND THESE CHARACTERS IT BREAKS ALL AUTHENTICITY.

Edit: Just read RD's post and the whole size-changing issue is also present with Bowser, not sure if DK does it too, but it is very likely.

Funny thing about Ridley: His size changes depending of games.

The original ridley was about this big

metroid_1.gif

Which is a little bit taller than Samus. Keeping with his dragon shape, you could leave him about as tall as Bowser, with a longer tail, and wings taking up the bulk of the carapace. You could make him fast, but then he would have to suffer a lot of knockback (which actually happened in some fights). Being a big target with "light flyier" capacity could compensate for having powerful attacks.

Good point. If they use that mentality, they could have Kraid as playable character- he wouldn't be much bigger than Bowser! KRAID FOR BRAWL!!!

Like as a move? Or just as he moves. Haha. He screams whenever you move him so you not only get to play as the awesome Ridley, but you get to make your friends' ears bleed.

Okay. That's a horrible idea, but I've seen worse.

The scream could be his taunt. I could just picture is final smash being like a horizontal snorelax. A nasty flyby that knocks people off.

They've pretty much already established Ridley's size in the intro video for Melee, where he's not all that much larger than Samus. Of course, I think Ridley is a shitty character who shouldn't be in the game, but his size would not be a restricting feature.

They've pretty much already established Ridley's size in the intro video for Melee, where he's not all that much larger than Samus. Of course, I think Ridley is a shitty character who shouldn't be in the game, but his size would not be a restricting feature.

Well, I'm trying to think of other good Metroid characters to add, and its either Ridley or Dark Samus.

Well, I'm trying to think of other good Metroid characters to add, and its either Ridley or Dark Samus.

Then it's got to be Ridley, because Dark Samus would be another clone-type character which I recall some statement saying those wouldn't exist anymore? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They shouldn't shove characters in just for the sake of having more than one character from each game. There is only one character that matters in the Metroid series.

Sakurai said, "I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her." I don't know if this makes it more or less likely that Ridley is in the game, however.

Meh, size probably will be changed. I mean, in a lot of Mario titles Bowser is often 3 timse the size of Mario... *shrugs* they'll do what's aesthetically pleasing, that's all it comes down to IF RIDLEY EVEN IS a playable character in the first place. Seriously, he'll be close to other characters sizes not gargantuanly huge. I mean, maybe they could make him slightly larger than Boswer or DK to emphasize the point that he's big, but any larger wouldn't be feasible or reasonable, imo. Part of me is thinking he is more likely to be some kind of NPC boss like Giga Bowser or especially like MasterHand with an unconventional moveset.

I dig the song, its nice to hear some harder music getting thrown into the mix. :)

Part of me is thinking he is more likely to be some kind of NPC boss like Giga Bowser or especially like MasterHand with an unconventional moveset.

That's what I'm thinking. But when thinking a little harder, if Ridley would be that kind of boss, there would most likely be a character specific boss for each character (speculation) but some of the characters' 'nemesis-es' are also playable characters. So it would be kind of weird for Samus to have that type of non-playable boss, while others may have playable characters as boss...(even more speculation)

Must...get...facts

Either way, good stuff is coming our way for sure :)