Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Someone who has a basic knowledge of physics please respond to my momentum idea and see what you think of it. I never thought of smash to have such a gravity/mass system because it only had to deal with weight. I also doubt they'll be changing gravity from stage to stage, that'd be too gimicky for me.

From a purely physics point of view, it would be better to look at the collision from a force point of view than a momentum one.

Say Bowser gets smacked and is falling down and to the left at a perfect 45 degree angle at a crate.

If bowser's mass * |velocity| > the force it takes to break a box, the box should simply break, and the items should fall out in the direction of Bowser's pre-collision motion and with the total force of (Bowser's mass * |bowser's initial velocity|) - force to break the box.

If the force of the impact is NOT enough to break the box, should it move, and how much? You have to take into account the forces at hand. The downward force of Bowser's motion will not push the crate anywhere - indeed, it will increase the friction's force by increasing the crate's normal force. Assuming an inelastic collision (which is a big assumption, but elasticity isn't what I'm worried about here) Bowser would be stopped by the collision and transfer all the force into the crate.

So the forces on the crate would be:

(Bowser's mass * |bowser's initial velocity|) \ sqrt(2) in the down and left directions.

The frictional force would be

Coefficient of Friction between the box and surface * [(Mass of crate * acceleration due to gravity) + (Bowser's mass * |Bowser's initial velocity| \ sqrt(2))]

And the force of motion in the left direction would be

(Bowser's mass * |bowser's initial velocity|) \ sqrt(2)

For a wooden box on a somewhat rough metal surface, the coefficient of friction should be around 0.3

Assuming that the crate has much less mass than Bowser, the impact should send it flying, despite a large frictional force.

Please don't put me in that group...it doesn't really matter about the name at all. Case in point is that you should look at the idea of costume change and ignore Samus entirely else all you kids will start drooling over the pixels again.

The biggest idea I have with this is players not agreeing with new looks, or really hardcore old schoolers who just can't deal without the 64 Smash look. The only character who wouldn't need much work is Kirby, lol. Except maybe if they had a 64 look.

Dude, you need to stop lashing out at people. Nobody ment any harm by it. You need to stop generalizing too. If I recall, I said the whole different costumes idea wouldn't fit well with Zero Suit Samus. I never said nothing about Bikini Samus. Believe me, I am completely agianst that as well. There are other Non-bikini offits Samus has had in the metroid games. Also, to Arek and Zero, I never said anything about different costumes being confirmed. I just said, if the idea where included, it would make more sense to have Zero Suit Samus's name changed. You don't agree with it, thats just fine. It just sounds weird to me particularly as I am a huge Metroid fan, and the name really only refers to her playable incarnation in Zero Mission. Besides I am starting to think this costume thing won't work. Kirby won't have any other costumes.

Kirby won't have any other costumes.

Just because it's easy to get under you skin: Kirby will have an "alternate costume" for each other character in Brawl. =O

Also...Drack brings up a good point with the physics in the game if they do decide to bring it too deep...ugh...I don't think I'd like a full-on physics engine in Brawl, but I do want some kind of control to how quickly you can get that box in motion.

edit: DSX, you were also didn't notice this was already said about the costume idea:

Thinking about the costume change idea objectively...it doesn't quite "fit." Some characters have far too many possibilities where others have little to none. That in itself will surely shut down the idea, however, it is a clever little idea that would be pretty cool. This is because you need at least 4 per character up to a possible 8 if that speculation about 8 players is, indeed, true. Though I also think that one will flounder because the stages don't look that much larger, and 8 players on a standard sized stage would suck.

Just because it's easy to get under you skin: Kirby will have an "alternate costume" for each other character in Brawl

edit: DSX, you were also didn't notice this was already said about the costume idea:

Good point about the Kirby thing, although it would be hard to pull off as kirby only copies part of the costume and I made the post before I read what you said about the costumes. See that wasn't so bad. Try lightening up a little, its not going to hurt you.

Also when ever you make a theory or bring up idea, expect people to make a big deal about it. Look happened with what I said about Ridley. I knew it would happen but I was still wishing people would have ignored it or let it be.

1) I hate people who identify composers only with one or two major games or series they've done, and assume that any and all future work is likely to be connected to those past works.

Hip Tanaka: Metroid, Kid Icarus

Du hast mich?

So, lets take some bets:

What will be in tomorrow's update. My call is they are gonna reveal a new stage.

(Speculating on speculations, I am good at this.)

Well, if you based your assumptions off of a previous pattern (yoshi music and then yoshi stage), then we would get a Metroid stage or character because of Ridley's theme.

But that's by assuming that the updates follow a pattern, which I am unsure of.

Well, if you based your assumptions off of a previous pattern (yoshi music and then yoshi stage), then we would get a Metroid stage or character because of Ridley's theme.

But that's by assuming that the updates follow a pattern, which I am unsure of.

As much as I would like to see that happen, I don't think we will see a metroid stage yet. When he posted Delfino he didn't post the music before that. Heck, we haven't even heard the music for Delfino yet.

I hope I'm wrong though. I would like to see stages that have not been shown in trailers yet, like Delfino.

The insanity, irrationality, lunacity, deranged logic, foolishness, lack of common sense, mudslinging, obsessive and wishful thinking, sheer madness, utter dementia and general lulz makes this the best currently active thread of ocr.

Keep up the good work.

You Sir....are NutS!!!!

The insanity, irrationality, lunacity, deranged logic, foolishness, lack of common sense, mudslinging, obsessive and wishful thinking, sheer madness, utter dementia and general lulz makes this the best currently active thread of ocr.

Keep up the nice work.

Fix'd for awesome. Mind if I sig?