Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

psh whatever

the stages dont impress me

melee had variety and so far this seems to be lacking it hard

There is the very strong possibility they're saving the juicy stuff for later. They haven't exactly dropped bombs with anything yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

They could be building up the awesome.

gotta be honest, That's freaking tight ass level from what I can tell. Love the space battle things going on in the backgruond... damn... awesome!

Gotta agree though with the platform business, but really, they haven't even showed more than a handful of characters, no doubt in my mind there is better stuff they're not showing. :) No worries here.

So far from the IGN list of companies that are going to E3, the Nintendo is TBA and IGN says that the list is final and wont be updated anymore, so. (Blizzard is not on the list either :[ )

So I wonder if the big N will show new surprises about Brawl on the show.

(Can I hope for more SC2 news :[? )

Man this arena looks awsome. Its going to be real fun fighting as the stage goes through asteroid fields. The effects look very well done. These screens prove the Wii is capable of some nice looking graphics.

Wow, having seen the Starfox level...this calls for a full blown Starfox Wii game :) A good one...like Lylatwars...with many onrails levels...and no silly on foot missions...or bad voices...

*just goes to play Lylatwars instead*

I am rather curious as to why everyone seems to think SF: Assault sucked so bad and why on-rails is OMGTEHBESTEVAR!!!! Personally, I rather liked SF64, but I liked Assault more - the on-foot missions were well-done, and the multiplayer was near perfect. In fact, I daresay the only boring part about the game was the Arwing-only multiplayer dogfights, because you had such a limited repetoire of moves and strategies.

One thing i noticed was there was only 3 people fighting on every stage, 3 would be a weird number and i;'m guessing that slightly hints towards camera mode coming back

stage04_070622c.jpg

Fox, Wario, Samus, Kirby = 4 players.

I am rather curious as to why everyone seems to think SF: Assault sucked so bad and why on-rails is OMGTEHBESTEVAR!!!! Personally, I rather liked SF64, but I liked Assault more - the on-foot missions were well-done, and the multiplayer was near perfect. In fact, I daresay the only boring part about the game was the Arwing-only multiplayer dogfights, because you had such a limited repetoire of moves and strategies.

No don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, and I used to be like you, wondering why the heck people did hate the on foot missions. I did enjoy them too at the beginning.

Now, about 2 years later, playing it again is just ARGH. There are many things wrong with the whole system and everything feels really weird compared to SF64, in my opinion.

I just didn't really like how certain things were executed in Assault which is why I don't find the game interesting enough to keep playing, whereas SF64, I still play even today.

Assault has its good moments, but they shouldn't have let Namco work on the game.

The old formula worked much better for me.

Anyway, I'm not that kinda hater and I don't swear by on rails. Just being myself and not enjoying it as much as SF64 :)

There is the very strong possibility they're saving the juicy stuff for later. They haven't exactly dropped bombs with anything yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

They could be building up the awesome.

Well said, Thylacine (that's a Tasmanian Wolf, right?) You gotta consider they're going to tell us everything WE ALREADY KNOW first, before they start releasing new tidbits. So far, the only things they have released that are completely new, are music and weapons. Every other thing on the site we have already known about for months. Consider all the characters and put a day with each of them.

Mario, Wario, Link, Samus, Zero-Suit Samus, Fox, Snake, Kirby, Pikachu, Meta Knight... the list goes on.

Each character = 1 day, so do the math. You all know Luigi's coming back, and so will Capt. Falcon, Ness, and the original "crew." I believe Sakurai-san said that himself. So once you have 20 things to talk about, there's a month. 40 things? 2 months... and so on and so forth until everything they have shown us that WE ALREADY KNOW about is revealed (yet again)... then, after all that time.... they will FINALLY show us new stuff. New characters, game modes, etc...

Have some patience, it's gonna be a while. At least not until end of summer/beginning of fall.

The presence or lack of On-Rails levels was not what made SF64 a spectacular game and Assault a lackluster one. SF64 had quite a bit of All Range Mode, and Assault had a decent amount of on-rails missions. What ruined Assault was the story, voice acting, characterization, and controls. It had the look (to an extent) but not the spirit of a Star Fox game.

stage04_070622c.jpg

okay so look at wario. at first i thought he was being knocked back like fox and kirby. but then i realized that characters being knocked back would flip around perpendicular to the camera's view. (in the 2d) and wario was flipping in the third direction, parrallel with the cameras view.

so does that mean wario will have a move like bowser? or is he just barrel rolling? if its a move. wha could be the move in that other picture were he's straight upside down?

hmmm...

okay so look at wario. at first i thought he was being knocked back like fox and kirby. but then i realized that characters being knocked back would flip around perpendicular to the camera's view. (in the 2d) and wario was flipping in the third direction, parrallel with the cameras view.

so does that mean wario will have a move like bowser? or is he just barrel rolling? if its a move. wha could be the move in that other picture were he's straight upside down?

hmmm...

Look at what the other characters are doing. Fox is teetering on the edge of the platform like an idiot, Samus looks to be recovering from an attempted grapple beam grab, Kirby is falling. None of them could have hit Wario the last second or two. I do believe Wario is doing an aerial attack, a body slam.

The presence or lack of On-Rails levels was not what made SF64 a spectacular game and Assault a lackluster one. SF64 had quite a bit of All Range Mode, and Assault had a decent amount of on-rails missions. What ruined Assault was the story, voice acting, characterization, and controls. It had the look (to an extent) but not the spirit of a Star Fox game.

I agree with you 90%. Difference being that I do think the lack of on rails missions severly hurt the feel of the game. Yes, SF64 had a good number of all range missions, but it was evened out with railed missions. Furthermore, we didn't have all-range foot missions in SF64... which totally sucked in Assualt. The fact of the matter is that Assault doesn't feel like a Starfox game at its core, and that includes all of the reasons you specified up there. It was a departure. They need to hit those points and get a correct ratio of on-rails levels to all-range levels. I mean, lets face it, up to StarFox 1 and Starfox64 the on rails missions made the title a "StarFox" game. The lack of them turned it into something a little more generic imo and less unique. Of course, the horrendous controls, bad story, and characters that just weren't interesting were equally important in this game's nosedive. I did like the orchestrated tracks though. hehe... and the very first level. haha.

And it makes me so sad too, because I was such a HUUGE fan of the original and Starfox64. and now... my money is that the Starfox series will never go back to its former glory. -_-

*holds candle in the air*

Seriously though, of all the games from older generations StarFox64 has really aged well, and I can still happily play it anytime I want. I still do on occasion, and I don't typically jump on to my older systems when I have new games to play, but StarFox64 is just something Nintendo had down real well.

/offtopic

Just an idea, fellas I thought unavoidable damage would just crank up the intensity. All of the sudden its like a sudden death.

Then when you get into the high atsmophere. some healing items would drop down or something...

bah.

I think anykind of stage interaction is cool.

The acid from the bottom comes up sometimes! It's so hot that it will burn you! Quick! Quick! Jump to the top!!

Woah, for a second I thought I'd missed an update!

I don't know how likely this is, but MAYBE each series will have a tournament-like stage (like all the ones we've seen), and a more different stage. Or maybe they just found that Final Smashes don't work so well on stages that are more different? I can totally see the possibility of Brawls' gameplay simply "not working" (well) with weird stages. However I'm hoping they do have some more interesting things in them (SSB1-type things like the moving platform and bumper on Peach's castle, I'm not talking about instant-kill tornados or Pokefloat levels). That reminds me: I hope they have some good pokemon music this time - I played one of the gameboy games a bit back in the day when everybody did, and I absolutely loved the music, especially the battle themes. So far none of the Smash Bros. Pokemon songs have come close to the quality of those energetic little chiptunes...

Anyway, stages... I'm hoping there's a Metroid stage that has something to do with a Metroid game, rather than some random cave with random science-fiction-ish crap strewn about. For instance, they could put metroid-style doors on one or both sides of the stage, or even on the floor - attack the doors to open them for 10-20 seconds, leaving a perilous gap! Metroid is famous for its breakable walls/floors and secret paths - with Pit's destructable stage in Brawl, a heavily desctructable Metroid stage seems likely (no, that one in Melee was NOT destructable!!). Heck, they could simply make platforms and walls that LOOK like they've come from a Metroid game, and I'd be happy =)

On that note... The Chozo temple above the impact crater in Metroid Prime 1 would be absoletely perfect for a Brawl level.

Wide open space? Check.

Gigantic pit? Check.

Single flat platform? Check.

Add some destructable pillars on it, and you've got yourself an interesting level. Not to mention the amazing atmosphere they could achieve (rain goes on, rain goes off!), and the place's major significance in the Metroid Prime series' plot. It could even have Ridley fly in occasionaly!

One thing I really DON'T like about the current shown stages is that they're all completely symetrical. I mean, does asymetry really hurt tournament play AT ALL? Must hitting your opponent to the left have exactly the same conseqences as hitting your opponent to the right? Does "you must recover" on the left edge have to be EXACTLY the same as on the right edge? They've gotta get more variation in there or it'll suffer some serious boringness. The stages so far, it seems, have very little potential for strategy... I'll applaud the tilting platform in Yoshi's stage though, and it appears the Pokemon Stadium's platforms change around (the platforms are in different places in some screenshots).

[Edit]

Just when I thought this post couldn't get any more bloated:

Brawl needs a Bowser's Castle stage! Spinning sticks of fire, podoboos jumping out of the lava, maybe a bridge, those orange elevator platforms - there are tons of possibilties. It could work insanely well in either 8-bit style (like those SMB1 and 2 stages in Melee), or a realistic graphical style like the Starfox stage. Even something as simple as a tilting platform surrounded in lava (the rooms where you fight some of the Koopa Kids in Super Mario World) would be great =D