Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Yeah, no, I love how they are keeping it to tournament style stages.

Look by example: Infinite Glacier got old within a couple days of Melee, and Poke Floats was never popular. Then you get some more decent stages that just became cheese after a while- the stages where you could walk off the edge of the screen. People would hang out on the edge where you can't see them except for the obscuring bubble, grab you and toss you a forced minimum distance off the edge. Didn't really fit the style of SSB, you've got to have ledges.

Check out Venom. Now you think... okay, should be good. Except it isn't, and is one of the most frustrating stages of the whole bunch. Fighting on slopes in melee is just a mess.

Back up and let us look at a *great* stage. Fountain of Dreams(ignoring 2v2 frame rate problems). It was visually appealing, simple in design with a good middle distance from the blastline, a variation on the ledges and under the stage compared to the standard "battlefield"(FoD is very "deep", fun chances at spike recovery), and variable height platforms(really cool since different heights change alot of different options for characters to do platform related stuff).

Tournament stages have more to them than just different themes applied to battlefield. And they make for great gameplay. But oh, yeah, nothing wrong with a bit of Asymmetry(I <3 windmill stage on Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon stadium was like 3 good stages in one.)

I kind of enjoyed the poke-floats, granted not all the time, just for fun though it's nifty with all the jumping and dodging around.

While most of those stages are more of a novelty, I would be sad to see those sorts of gimmicky stages avoided, in favor of only "tournament style" stages. They're just a nice change of pace to play on for shits and giggles.

It'd be nice if they kept a nice mix of both sorts of stages in this game too.

The thing that made SSB1 stages like Hyrule Castle great was that they were simple, yet so varied and interesting. That part of the castle with the tower alone made it a great level. What Brawl needs are some stages with walls and varied ground height like that, instead of the main platform always being flat. Again, maybe walls simply don't lend themselves to Brawls gameplay... but we'll see. It seems, at the moment, that Brawl's stages (that they've so far revealed) are neither varied nor interesting - but gameplay-wise they're probably a LOT more varied than they look. But again, who knows....

Hyrule Temple is the greatest stage ever. I don't care what anybody says.

Also, they need to bring back Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle from original SSB

I so totally agree w/ you. I enjoyed them so much more than battlefield.

It adds fun to the game, not everyone plays it just for tournies.

Actually I was thinking, that it would be really cool if there was a stage editor/creator in the game and you could share them worldwide through WiiConnect24.

Speaking of Hyrule Temple I wonder if an orchestrated version of the Great Temple theme will be a secret stage music this time around. That would be nifty enough for me to fly to Japan, track these wonderful game developers down, and give each of them a hug and a cookie. Although by the time I found them the cookies might be stale, or eaten, but that doesn't really matter since I think they prefer rice crackers instead anyway :F

hyrule temple sucked all you have to do is be someone quick and you can run far away from everything

????????

If it's 1 on 1, running away does you no good. If it's a FFA, use time instead of stock and you'll lose if you run away. Or.... were you being sarcastic?

...I think Hyrule temple is great, but I'm not a fan of the underground part, I often find it frustrating trying to actually get someone in the pit down there. But without the underground bit, it doesn't really have anything to do with a Zelda 2 temple, does it?

Yeah, no, I love how they are keeping it to tournament style stages.

Look by example: Infinite Glacier got old within a couple days of Melee, and Poke Floats was never popular. Then you get some more decent stages that just became cheese after a while- the stages where you could walk off the edge of the screen. People would hang out on the edge where you can't see them except for the obscuring bubble, grab you and toss you a forced minimum distance off the edge. Didn't really fit the style of SSB, you've got to have ledges.

Check out Venom. Now you think... okay, should be good. Except it isn't, and is one of the most frustrating stages of the whole bunch. Fighting on slopes in melee is just a mess.

Back up and let us look at a *great* stage. Fountain of Dreams(ignoring 2v2 frame rate problems). It was visually appealing, simple in design with a good middle distance from the blastline, a variation on the ledges and under the stage compared to the standard "battlefield"(FoD is very "deep", fun chances at spike recovery), and variable height platforms(really cool since different heights change alot of different options for characters to do platform related stuff).

Tournament stages have more to them than just different themes applied to battlefield. And they make for great gameplay. But oh, yeah, nothing wrong with a bit of Asymmetry(I <3 windmill stage on Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon stadium was like 3 good stages in one.)

But how many "tourney-style" stages can you have? Battlefield, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams... ? That's all. There's no real need for anything else after those three, so why not just fill up the rest with more fun stages like Big Blue, PokeFloats, and Glacier Mountain?

(I'd like to chime in that Hyrule Temple is my all-time favorite spot, and no, it isn't easy to run away in that stage. Not appreciably, anyways.)

If you want some real fun, play super sudden death on hyrule temple and hang out in the underground section. Especially if you're good at teching, it can make for some wicked fun matches (of course you have to either play time or set the number of stock to something obscenely high)

Sound interesting! I'll try it for sure!!

If you want some real fun, play super sudden death on hyrule temple and hang out in the underground section. Especially if you're good at teching, it can make for some wicked fun matches (of course you have to either play time or set the number of stock to something obscenely high)

Oh, that's a total blast. I'd be surprised if more people don't do that.

...I think Hyrule temple is great, but I'm not a fan of the underground part, I often find it frustrating trying to actually get someone in the pit down there. But without the underground bit, it doesn't really have anything to do with a Zelda 2 temple, does it?

I find the underground the most enjoyable part of the stage. Because when your percentage is very high, you get touched and bounce around the walls, its hilarious :lol:

I find the underground the most enjoyable part of the stage. Because when your percentage is very high, you get touched and bounce around the walls, its hilarious :lol:

learn to tech and you won't bounce. press l before hitting a wall/ceiling and you'll regain control.

Here's a question I've always asked but never recieved an answer for:

Why is the damage in Smash Bros. represented as a percent? Does 100 damage have any significance at all, or was it merely a dumb mistake? Does the % symbol mean something different in Japan? Is it some kind of an inside joke? Was it forced upon the developers by a massive terrorist organization? Is it a secret encypted message containing the list of Brawl characters? Why, I ask, why?

[Edit]

Oh wait, I think I just figured it out.... is it because when you're at 100% damage, you go flying 100% faster than when you're at 0%? Seems a reasonable theory.... has that ever been tested out? Or is it just common sense? =/

Here's a question I've always asked but never recieved an answer for:

Why is the damage in Smash Bros. represented as a percent? Does 100 damage have any significance at all, or was it merely a dumb mistake? Does the % symbol mean something different in Japan? Is it some kind of an inside joke? Was it forced upon the developers by a massive terrorist organization? Is it a secret encypted message containing the list of Brawl characters? Why, I ask, why?

[Edit]

Oh wait, I think I just figured it out.... is it because when you're at 100% damage, you go flying 100% faster than when you're at 0%? Seems a reasonable theory.... has that ever been tested out? Or is it just common sense? =/

There's probably a few things that happen, but I believe if you ar eover 100%, recovering from a ledge is slower than if you are under. Instead of being able to jump up and attack quickly, you are more luggish. Outside that, I'm not sure.