Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Fuck Yeah! Go Wario!

I guess his bike move is gonna be something like Yoshi's egg roll was, only it looks like maybe if you fall off, other players can get on(?).

And the Flatulance move looks killer. It also seems like it could be an extra recovery move for wario.

Here's a question I've always asked but never recieved an answer for:

Why is the damage in Smash Bros. represented as a percent? Does 100 damage have any significance at all, or was it merely a dumb mistake? Does the % symbol mean something different in Japan? Is it some kind of an inside joke? Was it forced upon the developers by a massive terrorist organization? Is it a secret encypted message containing the list of Brawl characters? Why, I ask, why?

[Edit]

Oh wait, I think I just figured it out.... is it because when you're at 100% damage, you go flying 100% faster than when you're at 0%? Seems a reasonable theory.... has that ever been tested out? Or is it just common sense? =/

There's probably a few things that happen, but I believe if you ar eover 100%, recovering from a ledge is slower than if you are under. Instead of being able to jump up and attack quickly, you are more luggish. Outside that, I'm not sure.

Maybe your friends have complained about how they always seem to die right after the crowd cheers for them. That's because the other thing that happens when you reach 100% is that you are eligible for getting cheers.

I don't know why they need the percent symbol, though. I was kind of hoping we'd just see a number in Brawl, but I guess it's a tradition now.

This isn't 3S either :<

What's 3S? Super Smash Siblings?

I also like how the Samus player has the name John

NO JOHNS

My brother's name is Michael, my middle name is Thomas, and my first name is obvious. That picture means a lot to me. Oh! And if I squint, I think I see Jigglypuff on the right-hand side of the blurred-out character screen. Or some character with two eyes, anyway.

And I keep imagining a Lost Woods level when I listen to that Ocarina of Time medley. Sunbeams peeking through the trees... Falcon whipping out his knees...

Fuck Yeah! Go Wario!

I guess his bike move is gonna be something like Yoshi's egg roll was, only it looks like maybe if you fall off, other players can get on(?).

And the Flatulance move looks killer. It also seems like it could be an extra recovery move for wario.

Hmm... well, to me it looks like the other players can use it as a throwable item, since thats what it looks like Mario is doing. Haha. That's awesome. I wonder if you can start driving it, then jump off while the bike still has inertia/movement and bike-i-cide it into people. That is sweet. Man, I'm loving Wario!!!

Man, Wario is bad ass. That is awesome. I love him!!!!

I can imagine all the fun "Wario ExciteBike" will be in levels like Hyrule Temple!!!!!!!!!!!!! Motorcycle jumps will be good times!! I hope he has some bad ass pose in the air. haha.

^______________________^

I was watching through the Nintendo World trailer just a few minutes ago, and noticed something near the very end, when it has a clip of Wario, MetaKnight, Zero Suit Samus, and one other person (Snake I think) fighting. Wario recoveres with a second jump from the right, then proceeds to hit the ground and slide forward without stopping at all, which obviously looks like a wavedash. Here's the part of it in gif form, slowed down at the end:

WarioWavedash.gif

What do you guys think? That looks just like one to me.

I'm going to agree and say that looks exactly like a waveland does in melee. Then again I thought that the closeup of Pit evading Wario and the closeup of Metaknight evading Kirby both looked like blatant backwards wavedashes.

Unless they incorporated sideways grounded dodges without any recovery time, or rolls now require no shield and no... roll. But I thought those two I mentioned were blatant "omgz wavedashing is back in the game!" statements. Unless I'm missing something?

I'm going to agree and say that looks exactly like a waveland does in melee. Then again I thought that the closeup of Pit evading Wario and the closeup of Metaknight evading Kirby both looked like blatant backwards wavedashes.

Unless they incorporated sideways grounded dodges without any recovery time, or rolls now require no shield and no... roll. But I thought those two I mentioned were blatant "omgz wavedashing is back in the game!" statements. Unless I'm missing something?

If we can assume that the graphical effects from Melee were merely touched up and not completely redone, and if we can also assume that horizontal momentum does stop after landing from a jump in the new engine, then yes. It's a wavedash.

I'm liking the multiple controller thing because it'll be way easier to gather 4 controllers together and duke it out with friends than if you needed to buy 4 Wiimotes / Nunchucks. I think the Classic Controller might work really well, too. I like it more than the Gamecube controller.

EDIT:

I was watching through the Nintendo World trailer just a few minutes ago, and noticed something near the very end, when it has a clip of Wario, MetaKnight, Zero Suit Samus, and one other person (Snake I think) fighting. Wario recoveres with a second jump from the right, then proceeds to hit the ground and slide forward without stopping at all, which obviously looks like a wavedash. Here's the part of it in gif form, slowed down at the end:

WarioWavedash.gif

What do you guys think? That looks just like one to me.

I'm going to go with "Not wavedash."

If you remember the post from a few days ago, they're incorporating a better physics engine into the game (the one detailing how boxes and such will slide around and down inclines.) It looks like Wario comes back, techs his landing, but because he landed on a sloped surface, he slides along it for a few feet before gaining his own momentum. The reason I think this is because you can see him sorta crouch and bend his knees like he just hit the ground, yet he moves sideways.

-shrug- Maybe wavedashing is still in the game, but I wouldn't call this proof just yet.

so you said you're practicing for tournaments eh?

let me know if you plan on going to fc diamond or oc3 pearl afk

err wait i guess all the tickets to fc are sold out

well oc3 then

well im not really up to traveling at the moment

being that i have no job and likewise no money

plus i got a long way to go still, im a jigglypuff dude so im working on the rest combos

edit

What's 3S? Super Smash Siblings?

wow

If you remember the post from a few days ago, they're incorporating a better physics engine into the game (the one detailing how boxes and such will slide around and down inclines.) It looks like Wario comes back, techs his landing, but because he landed on a sloped surface, he slides along it for a few feet before gaining his own momentum. The reason I think this is because you can see him sorta crouch and bend his knees like he just hit the ground, yet he moves sideways.

-shrug- Maybe wavedashing is still in the game, but I wouldn't call this proof just yet.

Characters bend their knees and sorta crouch in a wavedash like they are landing... it looks like a wavelanding to me in every way.

I wouldn't call this proof either, but that looks very much like a waveland.

Either way, if movement like that is possible(be it a waveland or something else), it is still a very exciting prospect.

WarioWavedash.gif

Gonna go with "not wavedash". My best guess is that it's Wario bouncing really low to the ground off of that sloped platform.

Then again I thought that the closeup of Pit evading Wario and the closeup of Metaknight evading Kirby both looked like blatant backwards wavedashes.

I watched both of those sections again, and I'm still up in the air. It's not either a dodge or a wavedash going by what we know from Melee. Either one of both of those things have been changed. (And I guess changing dodging would affect the animations for wavedashing)

If you'd like something else to dissect for whether or not it's a wavedash, look at the Nintendo World Trailer in Snake's section. Just before he blasts Pit with the Rock Launcher, he bobs his head forward and moves toward Pit slightly. It's not a natural-looking motion, which makes me wonder if it's a wavedash or something else entirely. Sorry I don't have a GIF for it.

As to the percent-based health system, my interpretation of it is that at 100%, a character of average "weight" (like Mario) stands a significant chance of being knocked off by a smash attack of average power. Essentially, 100% damage is where most people will fall off, on average. Obviously, it takes more damage on Bowser and less on Kirby, but 100% is the center point.

It might be a wavedash, but I wouldn't think they'd show an "advanced" move in a trailer to the game. Might Wario's alleged "wavedash" have something to do with the fact that the terrain is sloped where he lands? We've seen that crates can slide--maybe characters can, too.

Or perhaps the friction on the incline is really low.

I do think it is a wavedash, but we don't know if that even exists anymore. It could be a regular landing. It could even be his farting move only slightly charged, which would reduce his landing speed. I also see the validity in the statement saying that it was a bounce, but it's so hard to tell.

I'd prefer it if Sakurai keeps making updates about the new characters. I really don't like it too much when they showcase music or items because they're just not as exciting.

I do think it is a wavedash, but we don't know if that even exists anymore. It could be a regular landing. It could even be his farting move only slightly charged, which would reduce his landing speed. I also see the validity in the statement saying that it was a bounce, but it's so hard to tell.

I'd prefer it if Sakurai keeps making updates about the new characters. I really don't like it too much when they showcase music or items because they're just not as exciting.

I think the music is at least as exciting as new characters actually.

Based on the composer list, he's been rushing music drafts out the door.

From the composers listed on the page, the final game should have absolutely amazing music compared to what we've heard so far.

yeah also maybe its an attack like from his gameboy games. just a thought. im sure the physics of the game do have a huge part of whats going on tho.

i don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but maybe something it could be is he is running straight out of his jump. this would be a new technique by itself, and it does look as if he goes straight into his awkward running animation without any other real animation bumps. i remember thinking in melee that would be useful, so maybe thats it?

Considering how there doesn't seem to be a change in Wario's animation from the landing to the smash, it's likely to be a wavedash (if the physics from Melee are applied, so of course it's not 100%).

The animation might also be so fluid that we can't "see" that he's switching from "land" to "run". In that case, he's simply running after landing.

However, (assuming Melee physics again) I don't think we can say that he's sliding down the incline. You wouldn't slide down a much steeper incline in Melee (example: right side of yoshi's island, the super mario world stage). Also, with regards to the sliding boxes argument, look closely at the pictures Sakurai posted: the boxes have wheels. This is why they will slide in Brawl, and it does not follow that we can apply this principle to the characters.