Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

The thing is, it was much more of a concerted effort to pull off moves even if they were pretty simple 'press buttons again and again' types. It helped add the fanaticism to the action a bit, button mashing in panic and whatnot.

Now people will just sit there and hold buttons.. I bet pro players will opt for button presses for speed or optimal accuracy or any of that 'pro level' BS.

True, which makes me wonder if there will be some other side effect to just holding down the button. Like, the combo of button mashing will do slightly more damage.

Another thing I wonder is how this will affect doing smash attacks. Since you could charge the smash attack previously, if you're off on your timing, you'll go into the continuous punch.

i just

i just want to hear about ness

where is he

they cant take him out

they mustnt

I highly doubt that. Ness can be used too well by a skilled player for elimination and it's way too popular of a game. But while I'm waiting for the update, I'll pose this question: What if Ness were replaced by either Paula or Poo? You could still do the same attacks, of course, and the roster gets freshened. The only thing that changes is the character.

Note that I say WHAT IF, so don't start stating this across the 'net as fact.

I'm sorry, Mr. Sakurai. But that song didn't appear in Melee. It is, in fact, an arrangement from the original Star Fox for the SNES, whilst the two Star Fox musical tracks from Melee were actually from Star Fox 64.

No, sorry dude. You're wrong about that. This is a rearrangement of the music from Corneria in melee which was a medley of music from the original Star Fox.

I'm diggin' the arrangement; cool stuff, nice memories of the first StarFox... but then again... where's the real orchestra that helped make SSBM's soundtrack so stellar?

I like the arrangement though.

And yes, a different arrangement of this song was indeed in Smash Melee... particularly halfway through the Corneria music it plays as an extension to the StarFox theme. Listen to it. It's there. Although, it is a little different from the source.

Can you dig?

I like the fact that they're elaborating on somewhat obscure pieces of music instead of adding these songs to themes and such.... like they did in Melee with this song. From my observations, it appears at least, that this song is indeed just by itself and not tacked on to anything else, which is cool. *cross fingers for more old references to old songs*

cool arrangement, digging the pumped sound, but nothing entirely special.... err, rather, nothing to piss myself over.

I like the fact that they're elaborating on somewhat obscure pieces of music instead of adding these songs to themes and such.... like they did in Melee with this song.

Agreed, such as the use of many different songs in the medley. I wonder though, what song will they use for Solid Snake and (if there is one) his Metal Gear Solid stage?

Also, I don't think the Bridge of Eldin and the aforementioned medley really mesh well.... It needs a deeper and (as you mentioned) more orchestrated feel.

Honestly? I can't wait till (what I'm sure will be) a Smash Brothers major Project begins.

Sadly, I don't have enough experience or skill with music to contribute, though I want to. :cry:

On an unrelated note, what do you all think of the fact that Sheik is unmentioned as part of Zelda? Do you think Zero Samus has taken over that role? It just hit me as a possiblity, though many people (myself included) would be sad.

On an unrelated note, what do you all think of the fact that Sheik is unmentioned as part of Zelda? Do you think Zero Samus has taken over that role? It just hit me as a possiblity, though many people (myself included) would be sad.

Welcome to 20+ pages ago.:-P

But in all seriousness, I'm definitely psyched about this update. I was just playing through Starfox SNES a couple of days ago and was blown away by (my rediscovery of) that theme, and why it hasn't gotten more attention..until now, that is. As for the "real orchestra" comments that have been rife throughout the thread since the daily updates began, I have to say that I personally am caring less and less. It's video game music people. When I feel like just listening something for pure enjoyment and entertainment, it's my video game soundtracks that I reach for, and not very many of them have real orchestras backing them up. It always surprises me when friends comment on the sound quality, because I don't even notice. It all adds to it, I think. As long as those themes that I've spent so much time listening to and being a part of are there, it really doesn't matter to me whether it's general midi or the Boston Pops that are playing them.

Sure, in this day and age it probably isn't that much to ask for to have a live orchestra playing the soundtrack, especially considering the game (and the cast of composers on the job) we're talking about is smash brothers for god's sake. Splurge a little bit, Nintendo!! Really at the end of the day though, we're all gonna go about and buy the game, it'll be a huuuuge hit, and more fun than peeing in the shower to boot. As long as these classic themes are there to remind me of where all these great characters are from, and what made them great, I'll be ecstatic.

No, sorry dude. You're wrong about that. This is a rearrangement of the music from Corneria in melee which was a medley of music from the original Star Fox.

No it wasn't. The Corneria music was the track that plays on Venom in SF64.

Edit: Now that I think about it, though, it was the same song in SF for Venom. Either way, it was only the one song, not a medley.

I'm diggin' the arrangement; cool stuff, nice memories of the first StarFox... but then again... where's the real orchestra that helped make SSBM's soundtrack so stellar?

I'm pretty sure SSBM's music wasn't orchestrated. I may be wrong of course, but I remember that being one of the very few aspects of the game that people would complain about.

Melee WAS NOT ORCHESTRATED, but the music wasn't straight midi like the stuff they've shown us on the website. The music played at Corneria is a mix of Venom from SNES, Space Armada from SNES and, the StarFox theme from SNES. The music played at Venom is actually the main theme from StarFox 64. For a forum about video game music, why is it no one has recognized these tunes correctly?

I'm just waiting for Captain Falcon to be announced. I won't be completely happy with this game unless that happens. He embodies the entire point of the game, which is to greatly piss off your friends.

Amen.

Even though I hate Falcon simply becayse he always rapes my peach, I know what you mean.

Melee WAS NOT ORCHESTRATED, but the music wasn't straight midi like the stuff they've shown us on the website.

This is true. What is causing most of this confusion over the manner is that there was a concert where they played fully orchestrated version of SSBM songs.

I'm just waiting for Captain Falcon to be announced. I won't be completely happy with this game unless that happens. He embodies the entire point of the game, which is to greatly piss off your friends.

FAL-COOOOOOOOOOOOLN!

PUNCH!

Also, my favorite character for pissing people off is Game & Watch. My strategy is flawless. Run away, and then keep hitting the taunt button. This will force your opponent to come after you (or go insane), and you can take advantage of that to send them flying with a Smash attack.

Aren't the title songs for Melee and Brawl orchestrated? And what about the DK Rap? Everybody loves that one. ;)

I agree that most songs in the game should be orchestrated. Music from Zelda, Kid Icarus, Kirby, and Starfox are deserving of a human band. DK, Pokemon, and perhaps Mario would also benefit from an orchestral treatment. Music from Metroid, F-Zero, and Sonic are probably better suited for midi tracks.

Personally, I betting that:

A) the sound quality up on the site is not what will be in the game. Mr. Sakurai is simply putting up a MIDI version to give you a basic idea.

B) because the theme to the game has that awesome live recording, but we've also heard that very not-live version in the trailers, not all the songs will be live orchestrated, if any really are.

--Jack Kieser

Melee WAS NOT ORCHESTRATED, but the music wasn't straight midi like the stuff they've shown us on the website. The music played at Corneria is a mix of Venom from SNES, Space Armada from SNES and, the StarFox theme from SNES. The music played at Venom is actually the main theme from StarFox 64. For a forum about video game music, why is it no one has recognized these tunes correctly?

Because it wasn't a god damn medley it was JUST Venom's theme. So play the fucking game and see.