Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

In defense of Flat Zone, It may not have been particularly fair but it was fun. You're at high stress from the very beginning due to the sheer ease of death, and all the random objects are quite amusing in a party situation. And the best part about the board was that everything was designed to make it quick. Few matches lasted more than a minute. The Ice-Climbers stage, on the other hand, drew things out as people wasted time trying to survive rather than kill.

I thought Pokefloats was generally banned due to fall-through glitches (specifically on Seel).

:c i play ice climbers

Anyway, Infinite Glacier was terrible, as was Flat Zone. I wasn't a huge fan of Rainbow Cruise either.

poke floats is not banned

its a counter pick stage

infinite glacier sucked and so will this new one

oh well

they shouldve just remade japes

japes rocked

I just... I love to play competitively, I love tourneys, but seriously, some levels are about fun, and having a random element thrown in FORCES *ahem* "good" players to get out of their little comfort zones and actually do something different for a change. Seriously, some of these tournament players I've seen lose to people that aren't at that kind of expert level because they're "not comfortable with the stage"... all they play is battlefield and they can't compensate for any small changes or hazards or elevated areas. Much less things like moving platforms. I hate this idea that you can't strategically or competetively fight in a level that isn't "tourney style." It's a really ridiculous kind of thought, imo.

Really, I just don't get why you can't "competetively" play on any stage that has no damage causing elements (or damage causing elements that essentially effect all players). For instance, Pokefloats, essentially at its core, its just a bunch of platforms in known sequence that move around and disappear. There's not a set size like those "tournament" style stages, but it seems to me like their is something valuable in a player that can adapt... which, unfortunately, a lot of competetive players cannot do. I think these rules that say "well you have to be on a flat level to be competitive" are ridiculous... in fact, if some of these tourney playing gamers would branch out a little, I thinkt they'd probably perform better in tourney stages anyway. Adapting, figuring out somthing; that's more strategic.

I mean, someone may have higher ground than you, how do you defend or get the advantage? I think thoughts like this are more valuable and impressive than wavedashing on a flat level, then rolling around each other until you can find an opening. Sure there is skill required, but I personally think it's an error in thinking to say fighting on an incline is unfair, merely because you have an equal opportunity to use the same strategies against the enemy.

Tourney stages have their place, true, but ... well, I just don't like the idea that some stages that don't meet tourney specs are n00b levels because their's something in it that tourney players don't like, IE moving platforms, cars, etc.

/rant

I just... I love to play competitively, I love tourneys, but seriously, some levels are about fun, and having a random element thrown in FORCES *ahem* "good" players to get out of their little comfort zones and actually do something different for a change. Seriously, some of these tournament players I've seen lose to people that aren't at that kind of expert level because they're "not comfortable with the stage"... all they play is battlefield and they can't compensate for any small changes or hazards or elevated areas. Much less things like moving platforms. I hate this idea that you can't strategically or competetively fight in a level that isn't "tourney style." It's a really ridiculous kind of thought, imo.

Really, I just don't get why you can't "competetively" play on any stage that has no damage causing elements (or damage causing elements that essentially effect all players). For instance, Pokefloats, essentially at its core, its just a bunch of platforms in known sequence that move around and disappear. There's not a set size like those "tournament" style stages, but it seems to me like their is something valuable in a player that can adapt... which, unfortunately, a lot of competetive players cannot do. I think these rules that say "well you have to be on a flat level to be competitive" are ridiculous... in fact, if some of these tourney playing gamers would branch out a little, I thinkt they'd probably perform better in tourney stages anyway. Adapting, figuring out somthing; that's more strategic.

I mean, someone may have higher ground than you, how do you defend or get the advantage? I think thoughts like this are more valuable and impressive than wavedashing on a flat level, then rolling around each other until you can find an opening. Sure there is skill required, but I personally think it's an error in thinking to say fighting on an incline is unfair, merely because you have an equal opportunity to use the same strategies against the enemy.

Tourney stages have their place, true, but ... well, I just don't like the idea that some stages that don't meet tourney specs are n00b levels because their's something in it that tourney players don't like, IE moving platforms, cars, etc.

/rant

Well said, I think the same way

/nod

I didn't care much for the Ice Climbers' stage in Melee. On the other hand, I loved Pokefloats and Rainbow Cruise. I guess it wasn't the concept of scrolling stages that bothered me, just the implementation of that particular one. Hopefully this new DK stage will be an improvement.

If we're lucky, Brawl will have a lot of stage diversity. That way there's something for everyone - even whiney tourney players.

Leave the tourney players the fuck alone, guys.

If you notice they never bring up this shit at first. Somebody always comes by and goes "durr haha i bet tourney players will whine about this."

Then they come in and call you assholes about it and you claim theyre retarded.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

i loved kongo jungle so much but hated having to play it on mute

with luck the top of this stage will be similar, sans assy music

I've lurked on the OCR forums for a while now and decided that I had to register to declare that I am flabbergasted that anyone could dislike the DK Rap.

let's argue about wavedashing

I accept your challenge! rawr. /joke

I love the other DK level btw. (the one with the monkey rap. The sadly edited version, that is.) The platforms are interesting, and the logs and fish are good for random goodness. Luckily you don't automatically die when you fall beneath the main stage like in the other DK level (river.)

And there's a barrel!

hmm, no update yet.... another strangely late update. Is it just me or does it seem that everytime we get an update that isn't on time, we get something really weird from Sakurai, IE the trophy balance, bowser in the sky update... HMM...

still waitin'... I guess I can reflect on past and current events while I wait for my fix.

he's not nearly as shiney as he was in Melee, which is good. He looks "cuter" looking, more like the old SNES days imo. =)

So yoshi gets a triple jump. I think its for the best, I mean, he was one of least played characters in melee, its cool that they're giving him a little more spunk.

Seriously though, Yoshi is gettin' it on.

Ride that monkey!