Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I don't think there will be a lot more options than those shown, but there's a decent number of combinations so there's not really a need for more options.

Did anyone even play the special melee a lot? I think it's great that they're taking a lot from the older games and just build on that.

Making all new modes could backfire; I like the familiarity they have now, alongside all the new things. :)

Damn great update!

I like the idea of combine the Melee's special modes (not at the levels of an Action Replay anyway :P )...but seems that there is the same problem for Stamina: the HP is only 150!

My teory of the variable gravity was confirmed :)

I hope that the status changes that we seen are not all...

Sakurai's the man.

I was just thinking if homerun contest would be included again. I really hope so, but I also wish they give out rewards for doing it right. Get 500 feet with each character and get a bonus, get 1000 feet and get another bonus, etc. I liked Melee's HRC but it was a little shallow and nothing more than a small distraction for slow days. Addin value would make me want to play it more.

I have to throw in some wild theory your way, get ready to dodge it:

New Character:

Your Mii.

Move set:

B: Tennis hit (throw the ball and hit it)

Side B: Golf drive (ball in an arc fashion)

Down B: Bowling Ball throw

Up B: Baseball bat twirling like an helicopter

A moves based on Boxing

Final Smash: Giant hands grab the other characters and throw them in random directions.

I had an idea of Mii as a Playable character. it would follow how skinny and tall you made him. heavier characters would be slower and more powerful and of course lighter Miis would be faster and weakers.

or

They Make a generic Body used my All Mii's like what they do for Wii sports and the only thing they would change would be the face which is the only important part.

other than that, the Gender plays an important role, one could set the generic female mii to be fast and light and the male generic body be heavier and more powerful.

I saw a "Reflect" in the status area next to curry. This leads me to believe there is a reflector item. Any thoughts? (Sorry if it's been brought up...haven't been around.)

I think it's probably the Franklin badge that was released a week or two back(or three?).

I'm loving these options to customize stuff they're putting into this version. Music, game types, whatever those stamps might be used for.

I was Mario. Thanks for the critiques. (You too GT, I just don't know how to double quote yet.)

Neither of us play those characters normally if you didn't already notice, but I'll keep in mind what you said about missing openings and I'll try out the nair to d-smash. I also agree that my friend was spamming counter too much. I guess those were the kinds of openings you were talking about. I would use down smash more often but I often get hit in return when I do that because my friend Crouch Cancels just about everything. As a matter of fact, in that video you can see him trying to pull a counter off of a crouch cancel a few times. I'm not really sure of the best way to avoid this.

Did you get to look at the team battle any? The ending is pretty funny. I recorded some more today, but I won't have time to put any of it up until next weekend.

Sorry for quoting this from like 10 pages back but I didn't get a chance to see this response. The best way to avoid someone that's trying to Crouch Cancel is to simply avoid it. I mean if you're going to attack someone and they are clearly crouching, chances are they are going to try to set you up in a counter and capitalize. So to minimize your chance of getting owned here is to chip away from afar (use of projectiles or with someone that has a lot of range in their attacks) or use aerials that allow you to pass through them quickly while dropping some damage. Considering these options is highly dependent on who you are and who you are fighting. So just use your head and figure out what's best.

DI is just using the control stick to influence the direction / momentum you are being thrown about. Most people only use the control stick, but those in the know use both the control stick and the C-stick. More specifically they use it for Smash DI. Basically it's a more effective DI with much more noticeable results. Basically you slam both sticks in the direction you want to DI on impact of an attack or throw. Timed wrong and you end up not getting awesome results.

Also the tip for Sheik about shieldgrabbing has a lot of risk involved in my opinion. Attempting to shieldgrab a Sheik that L-Cancels effectively and follows up with a quick attack like down smash within one or two frames after, you will be the one that will be getting capitalized on. Also with how fast Sheik's grab and how much range it has... attempting to shieldgrab might just get you grabbed first also. Granted all this stuff I'm saying is most of the stuff you'll experience against tournament level Sheik players and if you haven't been exposed to a real tournament, the subtleties I just mentioned aren't something you'll immediately think of. Sheik is a tough customer in a hands of a skilled player so I guess the most I can say about going up against skilled Sheiks is to bait and counter and be considerably careful not to get grabbed. Sheik's down throw sets easily sets up to tilt spams and eventually an up smash or forward air. Also be mindful of the needles that are stored up because even just one needle can throw off your groove and momentum. Heh, I recall one of my friends actually uses full charge air needles to force you to block, wavelands on the way down, then grabs. I'm pretty sure he's on the power rankings of California by now... Anyways, I guess that's all I've got to say about Sheik.

Oh I nearly forgot. If you're a Samus player, you can really screw over Sheiks if you kill their second jump and nail them with a down smash. Samus's down smash sweep turns people around... so if Sheik's back is to the stage and she's without a jump, the up B smoke won't be able to save her unless she can appear above the stage. She won't be able to grab edge!

Edit: Guys, if any of the advice and tips I'm giving out isn't as great as it could be, feel free to contribute and let me know. I hold my own against top state players (as far as I know, in California and Texas), but I've only been playing Smash for a little under two years so I'm sure there is a lot I still need to learn!

Thanks for the advice.

My friends and I aren't really awesome or anything. I've had the game for years, but never played with actual players that much(none were tourney level anyway). We just started playing this year together a few times a week. We just try to watch videos and learn from them.

If I get the chance to, I'll try and record some matches to show you our level :P