Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

DI is just using the control stick to influence the direction / momentum you are being thrown about. Most people only use the control stick, but those in the know use both the control stick and the C-stick. More specifically they use it for Smash DI. Basically it's a more effective DI with much more noticeable results. Basically you slam both sticks in the direction you want to DI on impact of an attack or throw. Timed wrong and you end up not getting awesome results.

Also the tip for Sheik about shieldgrabbing has a lot of risk involved in my opinion. Attempting to shieldgrab a Sheik that L-Cancels effectively and follows up with a quick attack like down smash within one or two frames after, you will be the one that will be getting capitalized on. Also with how fast Sheik's grab and how much range it has... attempting to shieldgrab might just get you grabbed first also. Granted all this stuff I'm saying is most of the stuff you'll experience against tournament level Sheik players and if you haven't been exposed to a real tournament, the subtleties I just mentioned aren't something you'll immediately think of. Sheik is a tough customer in a hands of a skilled player so I guess the most I can say about going up against skilled Sheiks is to bait and counter and be considerably careful not to get grabbed. Sheik's down throw sets easily sets up to tilt spams and eventually an up smash or forward air. Also be mindful of the needles that are stored up because even just one needle can throw off your groove and momentum. Heh, I recall one of my friends actually uses full charge air needles to force you to block, wavelands on the way down, then grabs. I'm pretty sure he's on the power rankings of California by now... Anyways, I guess that's all I've got to say about Sheik.

Oh I nearly forgot. If you're a Samus player, you can really screw over Sheiks if you kill their second jump and nail them with a down smash. Samus's down smash sweep turns people around... so if Sheik's back is to the stage and she's without a jump, the up B smoke won't be able to save her unless she can appear above the stage. She won't be able to grab edge!

Edit: Guys, if any of the advice and tips I'm giving out isn't as great as it could be, feel free to contribute and let me know. I hold my own against top state players (as far as I know, in California and Texas), but I've only been playing Smash for a little under two years so I'm sure there is a lot I still need to learn!

Another lesson from our Melee dictionary, GT, haha. Couldn't have described it better myself. I would add though that in order to survive killing attacks, you try to DI perpendicular to AND towards the direction that you are hit. So, if you get foward smashed off the stage, press up and toward the stage. That way, your foward momentum is halted and you move toward the top corner of the screen (a kind of safe haven from losing your stock.) I think the best way to do it is to press the c-stick toward the opponent and the joystick perpendicularly upward from your trajectory.

If any of that was wrong, feel free to correct me. That's what I remembef from Wak's "Advanced How to Play" guides and it's worked pretty well for me. DI'ing has really opened up new avenues for my gameplay. So has learning how to edge tech.

Edit: Does anyone else here play Peach besides myself? I need someone to exchange knowledge with on certain match-ups.

I know the matchups pretty well, i've been playing for two-threeish years (though i live in nh so there's not a huge amount of competition). but i know my smash, so what matchup are you worried about?

also, for shieks while they're obviously a broken breed (completely unfair for those who don't know the lingo) most shieks you play will be more offensive than they should be. very high level sheiks will not, but for anyone below that i think its safe to say that your best bet is to capitalize on that. if you play defensively, running off and pressuring with whatever long range stuff you might have, you can wait for a sheik to make a mistake and then react from there. its a bitch thing to do i know, but its worked well for me in my experience.

I know the matchups pretty well, i've been playing for two-threeish years (though i live in nh so there's not a huge amount of competition). but i know my smash, so what matchup are you worried about?

also, for shieks while they're obviously a broken breed (completely unfair for those who don't know the lingo) most shieks you play will be more offensive than they should be. very high level sheiks will not, but for anyone below that i think its safe to say that your best bet is to capitalize on that. if you play defensively, running off and pressuring with whatever long range stuff you might have, you can wait for a sheik to make a mistake and then react from there. its a bitch thing to do i know, but its worked well for me in my experience.

This is pretty much the entire summary of how to play Smash in a smart and competitive sense. Nothing to it really. It's all in the mind.

As for Peach, Peach's main strengths come from the air, mainly because of the mechanics of the float. They somehow thought it would be amazing just to give her the float cancel, which is an automatic L-Cancel immediately after a float... incredibly deadly as any float approach with her down air can lead directly into a down smash without any lag whatsoever. Peach's down smash has got to be the cheapest thing in the game. I'd rather fight Sheik than fight Peach. I mean, Peach doesn't die because she can float. She doesn't need to L-Cancel half her crap. She has that stupid down smash. And she gets to use "items" whenever she wants. ARGH. The only weakness I see in Peach is the fact that she has a slow jump. Falco Laser laser laser pew pew pew all day long from me :]

Yeah, I guess if you can pull a perfect float cancel out whenever you do an aerial, then Peach would be pretty unstopable, and I'm sure there are some Peaches that can float cancel just about everything, but I'm certainly not at that level yet. Being good at Peach to me is 100% execution, 50% mindgames, if that makes any sense. I basically mean that you not only have to be solid on executing all of her little exploits and techniques to be good,but you have to put each one to use differently on each character. Peach has few or no garuanteed combos on anyone that I can think of. But she's amazingly unorthodx, which I love, and her recovery is superb when I employ good DI.

Thanks for the match up tips, ya'll. On Fast Fallers, I usually give them hell with chain grabing, d-smashing and edge gaurding, sheik and marth I have to play a little bit differently. I'm actually having the most trouble against low tier characters now (becuase I just don't play them enough.) Other floaties give me grief (zelda, wuigi, i.c.'s etc.)

Edit: and GT, the Downsmash is very punishable, as I'm sure you've figured out. Peach's upper body is basically a big knee or drill target if used at an improper time.

And damn Falco's lazers. Am I supposed to float over those things or something? argh, they're so spammable.

Obviously the down smash is punishable but I mean the risk is almost well worth it. The move lasts forever and it has a lot more range than it looks. As for the lasers, just gotta find an opportunity to get out of the way and float over. Also I don't know what you mean by "perfect float cancel." If you float, you automatically L-Cancel. There's not much to it.

Obviously the down smash is punishable but I mean the risk is almost well worth it. The move lasts forever and it has a lot more range than it looks. As for the lasers, just gotta find an opportunity to get out of the way and float over. Also I don't know what you mean by "perfect float cancel." If you float, you automatically L-Cancel. There's not much to it.

You do L-cancel, but depending on when you drop from the float it depends on how much of the attack comes out. That can affect whether or not your opponent has time to sheild grab you sometimes. I basically mean that it's possible to mess up a FC, that's all.

You do L-cancel, but depending on when you drop from the float it depends on how much of the attack comes out. That can affect whether or not your opponent has time to sheild grab you sometimes. I basically mean that it's possible to mess up a FC, that's all.

None of the moves really lag at all except for forward air. I've tried it a lot before and that's the only time there should really be a problem. Only time I can see someone really messing this up is if you confuse float with the double jump cancel, which MUST be L-Cancelled. Also get on AIM LOL.

None of the moves really lag at all except for forward air. I've tried it a lot before and that's the only time there should really be a problem. Only time I can see someone really messing this up is if you confuse float with the double jump cancel, which MUST be L-Cancelled. Also get on AIM LOL.

Good point. I gotta go to sleep right now, though. It's 1 AM over here. We WILL argue more later. Not here though, I guess, lol.

I'm not exactly delighted to see 'em again - little buggers were a bit annoying - but it's nice to know which Melee-ers to start training against, all the same.

Good Lord! See them doing the footstool jump in that screenshot? They're wearing spiked shoes! Is Kirby being perforated?!

EDIT: On a completely unrelated topic, I hope they bring back the concept of Past Stages again. It's be nice to brawl on the Melee Corneria - assuming they don't update it somehow for Brawl or something. The only ship we have of Star Fox so far is the Pleiades.

I had a feeling they'd return. Mostly due to the fact that they seem to be adding a lot of variety to how characters play. One of the quirkiest characters in Melee is the Ice Climbers pair, so it seemed natural that they'd be stickin' around. On another note... That fur looks great!

Huh... their mallets are on the ground in the last picture. Perhaps characters perform a celebration on the actual stage after a match in Brawl? Or maybe it's a character intro? Or single-player related?

Taunt is possible, but it would seem like it would take a bit long for them to drop and then re-pick up the mallets. Also, that looks like their taunt in the upper-left pic.

Huh... their mallets are on the ground in the last picture. Perhaps characters perform a celebration on the actual stage after a match in Brawl? Or maybe it's a character intro? Or single-player related?

Taunt is possible, but it would seem like it would take a bit long for them to drop and then re-pick up the mallets.

Final Smash, maybe?

They put down their hammers, do a traditional Climberian dance and summon a yeti?