Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

crap. This basically means we can be positive that online will NOT be a feature.

How do you figure?

Since we're on the topic of the ICs, I'll ask a question. The members of SBR on Smashboards recently voted to un-ban wobbling in tournaments. What do you guys think of that? I think that it's fine to unban the technique, but I personally refuse to wobble. It's extremely anti-competitive, and it's also just a risky move in general. If you're lucky enough/skilled enough to get a grab in with the ICs (since everyone avoids it anyway), a chaingrab is probably better anyway.

I still plan on firebombing Nintendo if they don't bring back Captain.
Where's Captain Falcon..

:(

He'll be there. They already introduced Samurai Goroh, remember?

Now let's just hope they fixed that little disjointed grab-hit trick you could do with them in Melee...

Captain Falcon is for all intents and purposes confirmed.

Why is it assumed that the Ice Climbers level will scroll? As you can see, they've made all new levels for all characters so I don't personally see them remaking Icicle Mountain, at least not in a scrolling form.

I expect a new map based around the levels they had in their NES game, with a dinosaur flying around the top and sliding all over floors.

How do you figure?

Since we're on the topic of the ICs, I'll ask a question. The members of SBR on Smashboards recently voted to un-ban wobbling in tournaments. What do you guys think of that? I think that it's fine to unban the technique, but I personally refuse to wobble. It's extremely anti-competitive, and it's also just a risky move in general. If you're lucky enough/skilled enough to get a grab in with the ICs (since everyone avoids it anyway), a chaingrab is probably better anyway.

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is a wobble?

Why is it assumed that the Ice Climbers level will scroll? As you can see, they've made all new levels for all characters so I don't personally see them remaking Icicle Mountain, at least not in a scrolling form.

I expect a new map based around the levels they had in their NES game, with a dinosaur flying around the top and sliding all over floors.

uuuh... I don't know which ice climbers you've played but the original is a vertical scrolling game. Of course, it didn't auto-scroll like in melee, but I'm expecting it to be much like melee's but with an end, like the new DK level. After all, the levels in IC han an ending and weren't infinite like in their melee iteration. Besides all levels in IC were the same so I don't think there's much option for other stuff...

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is a wobble?

Wobble, in the land of tournament play, is the IC infinite where Popo grabs you and hits alternate with Popo's head and Nana doing down tilt A at perfect intervals so that you can't escape unless they mess up or they decide to let you go which is most likely when they'll smash you after giving you enough damage to knock you out.

How do you figure?

Could you provide a link to that thread, man? I'm assuming it's not front page on Smashboards right now because I didn't see it last time I checked.

I'm glad that the technique has been unbanned. I'll admit that I haven't had an expert perform it on me at a tourney yet (so, I'm not going to pretend like I know all about it,) but I believe that the community will now have a chance to really adapt to it. I mean, if more people have to figure out a way to deal with this, then hopefully they'll figure out a way to foil it.

And then I can copy them, yeah!

Could you provide a link to that thread, man? I'm assuming it's not front page on Smashboards right now because I didn't see it last time I checked.

I'm glad that the technique has been unbanned. I'll admit that I haven't had an expert perform it on me at a tourney yet (so, I'm not going to pretend like I know all about it,) but I believe that the community will now have a chance to really adapt to it. I mean, if more people have to figure out a way to deal with this, then hopefully they'll figure out a way to foil it.

And then I can copy them, yeah!

Here you are, sir:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=116160

Like I say in the thread, I feel that anything that can be accomplished by wobbling can be accomplished by chain-throwing. Chain-throwing racks up damage way faster, so you don't have to worry about perfect timing. If you can wobble, go for it, but I prefer chain-throwing. When both are done right, it's pretty much the same outcome: cheap KO's :)

wobbling, eh? i dont think it should be banned. it may seem anti-competitive when people first start doing it, but in fact in the long run it contributes to the metagame. if wobbling becomes one of the normal things people have to deal with, then they will be forced to adapt, i.e. become more aware of situations that result in getting grabbed, and being able to see when the IC player is spotting for a grab.

people probably dont like the idea of people who aren't very good just learning how to wobble as a cheap way to become good, so i'll talk about that.

someone who just knows how to wobble and blatantly goes for grabs all the time will lose horribly to anyone just knows how to watch their opponent. a lot of intermediate/learning players might have trouble against someone who isn't good at all but just knows how to wobble, and they will call it cheap because they worked harder than their opponent, and they lose/go even. sounds reasonable, right? well, i'd say if you're in this situation then you're in LUCK. this grabs you by the balls and FORCES you to actually watch what your opponent is doing and think logically about how they're approaching, and how you can disrupt that, and that is one of the big things that most people just getting into competitive smash have a whole lot of trouble learning, because of lack of good competition (someone who can punish them for playing mindlessly and keep them on the right track).

no matter what skill you are, if you're getting beat by someone just because they wobble, then that just shows that you have room for improvement in avoiding grabs/playing smart in general, and playing against that person is a perfect opportunity to get better.

also whoa, jam stunna has an awesome sig for smashboards too?

I agree with everything you said. Wobbling won't make someone who's horrible that much better, so there's nothing to worry about for most people. If you don't want to get wobbled, don't get grabbed. There are already characters where you want to avoid being grabbed at all costs (Sheik, Marth and Fox come to mind immediately), and anyone who knows ICs avoids being grabbed anyway. So not that much has changed really. I just personally find chain-grabbing easier than wobbling.

Haha, thanks for the sig love. Doulifee makes awesome sigs.