Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

are people really not reading here

We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy.

sounds like "well prolly have sum moar stuff l8r guys like mayb sum rank'd play n stuff who noes" to me

are people really not reading here

sounds like "well prolly have sum moar stuff l8r guys like mayb sum rank'd play n stuff who noes" to me

i am not implying that nintendo is gonna put out crap

i am just saying that people say BOO LIVE COSTS MONEY but id say being able to send someone a message from my 360 to someone on their computer on windows live messenger while playing bomberman live to play with me is worth paying for

not to mention having private voice chat channels regardless of what game the two or more parties are playing

i dont like in a nintendo online game to have to go on aim or call my friend or something and say hey get on smash now to play

id like to be seeing that they are playing metroid prime 3 then send them a lil message to meet me in smash and wait for a response

i am not implying that nintendo is gonna put out crapi am just saying that people say BOO LIVE COSTS MONEY but id say being able to send someone a message from my 360 to someone on their computer on windows live messenger while playing bomberman live to play with me not to mention having private voice chat channels regardless of what game the two or more parties are playing

i dont like in a nintendo online game to have to go on aim or call my friend or something and say hey get on smash now to play

id like to be seeing that they are playing metroid prime 3 then send them a lil message to meet me in smash and wait for a response

qft.

That and Nintendo's friend codes are annoying, and are a pain to use, and in addition, they give you the BARE minimum of functionality. What if I meet some kick ass guy online and want to add him as a friend. You can't, because you're totally anonymous. Friendly anonymous games are nice option, but give us names. Why can't I have an avatar/username, like ALL other online game services? Does that make too much sense? Is Nintendo so innovative that they're bringing back pseudo-telephone numbers for us to memorize and give people. Or are we going to get the same old crap about protecting little kids from online predators?

I mean, geez, come on, I have a PS3 and the PlayStation Network is totally free, and while it's not nearly as user friendly as XboxLive, it's at least some kind of online component that lets me send my friends messages and invites to games.

And that's the other thing... my PS3 has got content updates for new features and things every couple months. I've seen nothing from Nintendo with the exception of a couple of useless channels (Opera browser excluded)...

I love Nintendo, but it looks like they're dropping the ball AGAIN when it comes to satisfying their hardcore userbase. With the exception of Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess I feel like Nintendo has abandoned me, someone who's been buying their systems forever. All we have is mini-game compilations, and a bad online component that Reggie said he would fix in this new generation 2 or 3 years ago.

blah blah blah.

I love Nintendo, and really want Smash, but come on Nintendo... hell... not all of us are old people, simply satiated by playing WiiSports all the damn time in a nursing home. Hell.

/ranting

/whining

/off topic

/complaining

/speaking truth

Edit: Prepares for flames. sorry for off-topic btw.

Friends and I played some Smash tonight. I took a few videos of some 4 player free for all, but they're pretty bad lol. I'm just going to wait to get some 1v1. I was trying Captain Falcon, and I couldn't land anything with him often.

I still suck at DI and against Shiek.

I love Nintendo, but it looks like they're dropping the ball AGAIN when it comes to satisfying their hardcore userbase. With the exception of Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess I feel like Nintendo has abandoned me, someone who's been buying their systems forever. All we have is mini-game compilations, and a bad online component that Reggie said he would fix in this new generation 2 or 3 years ago.

exactly how i feel and why i broke down and bought a 360

My favorite part is this:

"We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy."

and

"There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play."

Which people somehow skew into OMFG NO LEADRBOREDS!!! When in actuality they don't mention that at all and even hint there will be a mode that stores records to be introduced later on.

Ah, the ignorance of some people.

E: BTW this was directed towards the IGN people.

you guys aren't alone

me and my bro are probably getting a 360 or PS3 soon... the wii is cool but I feel left in the dirt with it right now

in the past month the only thing that kept me on my Wii was Metroid Prime, but I'm close to finishing that... it's the first game which made me felt like I wasn't just thrown off to the side

Mario Strikers is a fun multiplayer game but will only keep me coming back for as long as I have friends at my house or online willing to play... seriously underrated guys you should give it a rental maybe buy it, even if you're bitter about friend codes

My PS2 has Guitar Hero, and possibly soon DDR, plus like 50 billion kajillion RPG's for both the PS1 and PS2. I've found that since I can find PS1 games for so cheap lately all I seem to do is play those. It's ridiculous. I just went to EB this weekend and spent like a couple of 10`s on some RPG's and that was that... I feel like this console generation was unnecessary to some degree

on the bright side there's SSBB, Mario Galaxy, and some more hardcore games like GGXXAC coming so I'm still happy with my purchase, but Nintendo's gonna have to try harder because I'm a pretty easy person to please but even I'm kind of feeling like something big is missing

Looking at the wi-fi Brawl screens, there's on-screen loading via lag...

I know it'll still be awesome with sorta-kinda-decent online play, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Wii online games so far. But online fighting games were on and off with that aspect even with a few games for Xbox Live Arcade.

Friends and I played some Smash tonight. I took a few videos of some 4 player free for all, but they're pretty bad lol. I'm just going to wait to get some 1v1. I was trying Captain Falcon, and I couldn't land anything with him often.

I still suck at DI and against Shiek.

what jam said, throws are her weak points. since her reach isn't too great and her throws are weak, using throws against sheik will keep her down

(speaking from experience. i'm a sheiker and pikachuer

and jigglypuffer)

I'm getting there, too. My friend just bought a 360 and I'd pick one if I liked more games/liked enough games to make it worth while. I love Live and the fact you have access to a ton of demos and videos. Nintendo seems so set on trying to be unique that imitation is completely out of the question, even though it would definitely help them out.

Another though. Are taunt animations out since the + pad controls all the verbal taunts? Looks like you can customize, so I'm hoping animated taunts are still in (maybe even more than one per character).

well, I have hopes for SSBB. While it may not have really robust online functionality, here's hoping for some downloadable content once the game comes out. That seems like something Nintendo would opt to do *cough* services *cough*.

... and beating up the sandbag during loading is genius, gotta be honest.

update!

ooooh!! enemies! I love how varied they are! It's really cool to see such a wide variety of enemies that have weak points, which is something really new and refreshing. I dig it, mucho.

Man, and that Shaydas is badass.

edit: @ Nekko, I thought they were doing there taunt animations in that pic with the little speech bubbles added?

New enemies look nice!

Don't you reckon they look a bit like enemies from past games though:idea: I dunno if it's intentional by Nintendo or not.

For example, Roader looks very similar to the wheelies from the kirby series.

And the pic with Trowlon and Yoshi in it just makes me think Gusty from Yoshi's Island. Any other similarities you reckon?

Are taunt animations out since the + pad controls all the verbal taunts? Looks like you can customize, so I'm hoping animated taunts are still in (maybe even more than one per character).

Both Mario and DK were taunting while the text boxes were open. The animation is still in.

what jam said, throws are her weak points. since her reach isn't too great and her throws are weak, using throws against sheik will keep her down

(speaking from experience. i'm a sheiker and pikachuer

and jigglypuffer)

Just watch out that she doesn't grab you. If you don't DI well, any Sheik will chain-grab you into a fair, which will almost certainly kill you.

Let's play the assumption game for a second.

Assuming these enemies are based on/inspired by actual Nintendo enemies, with a list somewhat like this:

Roader - Wheelie (Kirby), [[Mag Roader (FF6) OMG KEFKA CONFIRMED!!!1]]

Bytan - Electrode (Pokemon)

Trowlon - that thing in Wet-Dry World throws you around?(Super Mario 64)

Shaydas - shadowy-type enemies from Zelda (such as Puppet Ganon from Wind Waker), other Zelda enemies with this same type of "weak spot", Scyther (Pokemon)

Auroros - Skree/Metaree (Metroid), Fearow (Pokemon)

R.O.B. Squad - hurrr i dunno

What, then, are Greap (which looks like a Battlebot) and, my personal favorite, Poppants, based on?

EDIT:

omg poppants based on eddie (flip top) from megaman megaman confirmed!!!@

omg greap = tonberry + mario kart more final fantasy confimattion!!!!

Let's play the assumption game for a second.

Assuming these enemies are based on/inspired by actual Nintendo enemies, with a list somewhat like this:

Roader - Wheelie (Kirby), [[Mag Roader (FF6) OMG KEFKA CONFIRMED!!!1]]

Bytan - Electrode (Pokemon)

Trowlon - that thing in Wet-Dry World throws you around?(Super Mario 64)

Shaydas - shadowy-type enemies from Zelda (such as Puppet Ganon from Wind Waker), other Zelda enemies with this same type of "weak spot", Scyther (Pokemon)

Auroros - Skree/Metaree (Metroid), Fearow (Pokemon)

R.O.B. Squad - hurrr i dunno

What, then, are Greap (which looks like a Battlebot) and, my personal favorite, Poppants, based on?

EDIT:

omg poppants based on eddie (flip top) from megaman megaman confirmed!!!@

omg greap = tonberry + mario kart more final fantasy confimattion!!!!

I can only assume that these are all original monsters for smash brothers, save for my favorite, the R.O.B. Squad. Yeah, I would have appreciated monsters from different games, but it probably wouldn't have fit the story too well. Fortunately, we do have bosses from the different games