Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I think the only thing it NEEDS is some sort of system to prevent seasoned pros from playing against complete newbies all the time. Even if it relies on honesty (e.g. you get to choose which skill tier to play in), it would be a lot better than nothing. I mean, even the Internet Chess/Reversi/Hearts games that come with Windows has this...

Eh, I'm thinking more about just playing with friends. You can't really have fun and mess around much if you can't communicate easily. But yeah that would be nice too. I just hope they have something planned to expand the online play beyond the bare-bones functionality that's been revealed thus far. I want voice chat more than anything, but it's probably not gonna happen.

With only a mere extra month of developement time, I'm not sure it is entirely realistic to dote on the possibility of voice chat for very long, especially considering: A) all the other stuff they're cramming in Brawl, B) Nintendo's never done it on Wii before, and C) The schedule for Brawl seems to be down to the wire as it is.

The only reason that voice chat for Brawl could be desireable in the long run is due to the friend code restriction system, in my opinion. Random assholes would just be, well, annoying. People tend to play stupid music through their mic quite often, as well. But yeah, even though your "friends" could be a bunch of cocky GameFAQs kids you don't know, at least you'll have an easy wayto keep track of who they are so you can avoid them (or just not use voice chat) when they're on.

Now, I'll agree that the "use one of three taunts to deliver pre-entered text messages!" method sure doesn't sound very ideal at all, but when your hands are so occupied there isn't much else besides, again, voice chat. I dunno. Something's better than nothing.

I think the only thing it NEEDS is some sort of system to prevent seasoned pros from playing against complete newbies all the time. Even if it relies on honesty (e.g. you get to choose which skill tier to play in), it would be a lot better than nothing. I mean, even the Internet Chess/Reversi/Hearts games that come with Windows has this...

I agree with FH on this one. I am ok at Halo, but I hate it when some one is like 2 levels below me and just skunks everyone who was playing cause he wanted to make people frustrated. It needs some kind of tier.

February just seems really odd for a month to release a game as big as this. I really have no idea, but it just feels weird. March would feel better, and that I also don't understand why either.

It just gives Nintendo the opportunity to remake the commercial from Smash Bros for 64 into Brawl just in time for Valentine's Day.

Who wants to play against strangers? That's creepy and weird.

1) It's better than playing against AI.

2) Umm... I've got nothing, guess that's the only reason.

3) You're conversing with "strangers" right now on this forum... is that creepy and weird? Yeah, maybe. But if you think of your opponent as a simple scarecrow, any psychological barriers may melt away.

[Edit]

It just gives Nintendo the opportunity to remake the commercial from Smash Bros for 64 into Brawl just in time for Valentine's Day.

"Hi honey, I sold my hair so I could buy Smash Bros. Brawl for you for valentines day!

"Oh, the irony - I also bought Smash Bros. Brawl for you! And I sold my thumbs to buy you combs."

1) It's better than playing against AI.

2) Umm... I've got nothing, guess that's the only reason.

3) You're conversing with "strangers" right now on this forum... is that creepy and weird? Yeah, maybe. But if you think of your opponent as a simple scarecrow, any psychological barriers may melt away.

Yeah, but I probably wouldn't play Smash against most of you guys.

In regards to Brawl's online play, it NEEDS a lobby, and it NEEDS voice chat. I'm sure anyone who's played any good online game on Xbox/Xbox 360 will agree.

Yeah, even if the voice chat is restricted to people on each other's friends list, it needs to be in.

Stacking can completely ruin on online game. I've seen several where it's impossible to get a good game because all the good players stick together and kick anyone who looks like they could challenge 'em. Still, playing against totally random people doesn't sound a lot better.

Yeah, you're not getting the point here.

The release date is not just to get you excited and shut up the people demanding one (retailers, customers, reviewers, etc.). It is also a goal for the developer to meet, and a good way to retroactively plan the software's development. Just because the company doesn't tell everyone their release date until a month before does not mean it wasn't set years in advance.

I don't think I got anything wrong there. Setting a general, tentative estimate of the quarter of the year isn't exactly vague. It's still relatively specific in the broad scope of things and gamers will still be able to get preorders in and anticipate them. If they decide to drop a specific release date a month or two before the launch (BioShock anyone?), then all the better for everyone. Though I still think games like BioShock were rushed anyway.

Uh, hell yes it is. The more complex the game, the more ways the timeline can go askew to the point of needing to adjust the release date. With a game like Smash, you also have higher-level issues that go beyond simple bugs, such as balancing characters.

And yeah, they probably are adding new things as they go, as well as fixing existing things. I mentioned how that happens did I not?

With fighting games, it tends to be not about the complexity of the game in itself but the tweaks they need to make. The SSBB team decided to add things on a constant basis and that's the situation they brought themselves. They aren't even making something scientifically precise like a Virtua Fighter game either. Now THAT game is all about complexity in its engine and balance of characters from the get go. SSBB, to me, is more about the constant additions they're putting out. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's not purely about the complexity of the entire game.

"Snaking" in MKDS was an intended feature as a move for advanced players, not a bug.

Nintendo gave out a very, very vague way of saying it was 'intended' and yet it totally broke the game compared to, I don't know, ALL THE CORNERING IN EVERY MARIO KART EVER. It is broke. I'm not complaining because I can't exploit the game too. I snake almost all the time in MKDS. I did it in DAY ONE and that says something about it being for 'advanced players'. Play F-Zero GX and it is broken beyond all repair too, thanks to snaking. It seems a few recent racers Nintendo put out can't get the cornering right for some reason. Hopefully they fix it by the next F Zero and Mario Kart.

Ah, another gem! I'm genuinely curious: is that sarcasm? Please tell me it's sarcasm...

No sarcasm. I can understand the reasoning for the complexity with the games, but adding new characters by the month is not the issue. It's perfectly understandable and it's fine they're delaying it. But a delay is a delay. If they were going to be CONSTANTLY delaying it as if they're Blizzard, then they shouldn't have set hard release dates to begin with. Way to not understand my point. Seems to happen daily.

And you know, if something is so vague in development crunch like SSBB is, I would think that the vast majority of fans would be understanding of the long development time and the situation the team is in. "coming in 2008" is fine. Setting two or three different SPECIFIC dates are just teases. Not just SSBB either. It seems to happen only a few dozen times with high profile games in any given year. It's always a tease. I'm not angry at the development, development team, the game or the company or the media. I'm angry at the tease and I can understand if it miffs people. How the hell does that make it even remotely sound like I'm putting down the development effort? You tell me.

^^ I agree -- if the February date isn't met, I'm going to be extremely pissed. If they really needed more time, say "1st Quarter 2008" or "Winter 2008" etc. Don't give specific release dates and then bump them back a hundred million times.

Metroid Prime 3 seemed to be pushed back every time we got within a month or so...

I don't think I got anything wrong there. Setting a general, tentative estimate of the quarter of the year isn't exactly vague. It's still relatively specific in the broad scope of things and gamers will still be able to get preorders in and anticipate them. If they decide to drop a specific release date a month or two before the launch (BioShock anyone?), then all the better for everyone. Though I still think games like BioShock were rushed anyway.

I honestly don't know with Brawl because I didn't follow it that closely, but I seriously doubt the original announcement was "December X 2008." It is almost uniformly "X quarter of Y year" first. Then when you get into that year, they'll narrow it down to a certain month, and then as you get closer, they'll give you the target date. Again, depending on the popularity of the game, they'll release the target date sooner.

Then shit happens, and the date is no longer valid. Deal with it.

I still don't think you grasp how one little problem can exponentially delay progress by flowing down the development chain. The software may still be ready by the actual release date, but not in time to be boxed and shipped for that release date. Or maybe it's ready to be shipped, but you weren't certain it would be and now you've missed all your advertising deadlines. The list goes on.

With fighting games, it tends to be not about the complexity of the game in itself but the tweaks they need to make. The SSBB team decided to add things on a constant basis and that's the situation they brought themselves. They aren't even making something scientifically precise like a Virtua Fighter game either. Now THAT game is all about complexity in its engine and balance of characters from the get go. SSBB, to me, is more about the constant additions they're putting out. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's not purely about the complexity of the entire game.

This whole statement demonstrates a complete lack of understanding about software development. Suffice it to say, you have made some very poor assumptions about where the level of difficulty of designing a game or any other software lies.

If snaking on on MKDS was intended, then what the hell is the point of the other karts?

Agreed. I always got the impression that it wasn't "intended" - drifting and boosting was included, people found out about snaking, so nintendo said "that's a technique for advanced players". That's what it's always seemed like to me.

Nintendo gave out a very, very vague way of saying it was 'intended' and yet it totally broke the game compared to, I don't know, ALL THE CORNERING IN EVERY MARIO KART EVER. It is broke. I'm not complaining because I can't exploit the game too. I snake almost all the time in MKDS. I did it in DAY ONE and that says something about it being for 'advanced players'. Play F-Zero GX and it is broken beyond all repair too, thanks to snaking. It seems a few recent racers Nintendo put out can't get the cornering right for some reason. Hopefully they fix it by the next F Zero and Mario Kart.

Absolutely. The only reason Nintendo hinted at it being "intended" is because they have no way of patching MKDS.

Going back on topic,

I posted this a couple of pages back, but got no answer.

Do you guys think that Nintendo will release Brawl's Demo with some other game (like Super Mario Galaxy)?

Because I'm dying to play it.

I also think that would be a good way to promote the game even more.

Going back on topic,

I posted this a couple of pages back, but got no answer.

Do you guys think that Nintendo will release Brawl's Demo with some other game (like Super Mario Galaxy)?

Because I'm dying to play it.

I also think that would be a good way to promote the game even more.

Good idea but I know it most likely will never happen. *sigh*

So what alternate colors/costumes do we know so far from videos et al.?

Mario - Fire, Inverse, Wario, Brown, Green

Metaknight - White, Red, Green?, Dark

Pikachu - Goggles

Link - Dark

DK - White

Yoshi - Red, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Light Blue

Did I miss any?