Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Captain Falcon has a far better chance of being in the game than Ness ever had. Captain Falcon does not have a playable character representing his series yet, while Earthbound has Lucas.

With Lucas being playable, you had to figure that Ness was probably going to get shafted...that or becoming an assist trophy.

Bye Ness.

It's really too bad that we're losing one of the classic characters. But, it does show the devs' willingness to get rid of some characters, which I think is good. No one will complain if Young Link or Pichu don't make it in, for instance. Might as well reduce the clutter on the character select screen. Still though, it kinda sucks that they're (probably) keeping Mr. Game & Watch, but not Ness.

I think Ness'll still be around, as a really hard to unlock character, maybe?

He'll use his own versions of Fire and Thunder, share Magnet, and have Flash instead of Freeze. He'll also use his own standards attacks like he had in Melee, keeping the bat and yoyo while Lucas gets the rope snake.

Or maybe, they plan on retooling his moveset completely, giving him moves that he actually used in Earthbound, instead of taking them from Paula?

I hope all characters in Brawl will have a unique playstyle, not like in Melee where we had useless copycats such as Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link.

But it does seem that way luckily, seeing that Lucas is not just a simple Ness-copy but plays differently (so perhaps there will be a Ness after all :razz:).

And if they bring back Ganondorf (which I hope), it would be nice if he wasn't just a Captain Falcon clone like in Melee but a character with his own cool design. At least give him a range attack (I mean, he IS a wizard after all). In Melee, he was more like a Street Fighter :|.

'Fear my mighty foot of darkness!'' (.......)

My theory is that we will still have clones, but they will be in some sort of different section. My original thinking is that the clones would be like alternate costumes for players. For example, a Link "costume" would be Young Link. Also, selecting Zero Suit Samus will be done the same way, by selecting an alternate form of Samus. Some players won't have any clones, I'm sure, but I think they will still be selectable.

What makes me think this mostly revolves around Luigi. There is NO WAY that Luigi could be removed from this game, but his style of play is so similar to Mario (but not quite the same), that he would constitute a clone. I think seeing Lucas' moves are just like Luigi's, in that they are just a bit different from Ness to feel like a different character. Therefore, I bet Ness is still in, and either he or Lucas is the clone.

Also, I'm predicting that Daisy will be playable in Brawl as a clone of Peach.

What makes me think this mostly revolves around Luigi. There is NO WAY that Luigi could be removed from this game, but his style of play is so similar to Mario (but not quite the same), that he would constitute a clone.

Did you play Melee? Luigi's moveset could only be compared to Mario's in appearance, and his style of play is completely different.

Heh, I like how everyone's lamenting the loss of Ness while you are still only assuming. First of all, the "no clones" thing (about which I never actually saw evidence of Sakurai himself saying) would be years old, thus subject to have changed, even if true. Second, we don't know how Sakurai defines a clone (comparing Mario and Dr. Mario is quite different from comparing Mario and Luigi, for example). He seemed to focus quite a deal on the differences between Ness and Lucas in his most recent update. Really, the only move that seems to function exactly like Ness' is his up-B (and that includes different standard moves).

I'm not saying Ness is going to return. In fact, I think there is a reasonable chance he's gone. I am tired of all these posts saying "OHG OD WAHT ISHE GONA DO SINCE NESSS IS DEF OUT NOW!!" when Ness also has a decent chance of being back.

Did you play Melee? Luigi's moveset could only be compared to Mario's in appearance, and his style of play is completely different.

All the "Clones" play different than what they're a copy of, but they still are visibly the same for the most part. Falco is a clone of Fox by the meaning clone is given when people talk about this. Fox and Falco do not play the same but Falco is still considered a clone.

Right now unless Ness has a completely new move set he's probably not in the game as a player character because that would make Lucas a clone because they seem to have quite a few similarities. (I think that's where the discussion started on clones).

In fact, I think there is a reasonable chance he's gone.

Reasonable? I think this has pretty much indicated that he's gone: "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"

Also, I love how everyone seems to be so happy that Yoshi is getting up-smashed.

lucas071108alrh8.jpg

Reasonable? I think this has pretty much indicated that he's gone: "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"

I took that as "to this point" rather than "but not anymore."

I understand that you think I have a weak argument, but my argument is not that Ness will return, but simply that you should not take your assumption that Ness will not return as fact.

I took that as "to this point" rather than "but not anymore."

I understand that you think I have a weak argument, but my argument is not that Ness will return, but simply that you should not take your assumption that Ness will not return as fact.

You're right, it could be taken either way.

This is the update I've been waiting for. Every JAPAN TIME I hit F5, praying for a Lucas moveset.

And at the same time, I'm worried that this is a death knell for my Nessticle.

But! Nice moveset! And they kept his almighty back-kick, plus he can tether-grab ledges (and people!) now. Ness' grab range was utter trash and it's nice to see that they've improved on it. Now if they just keep his ridiculously overpowered back-throw, we'll be in good shape.