Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

also, alternate costumes don't look to be very different from melee; all it is is different colors, judging from the screens

Unless the costumes are separate from the colors. As in, you can change regular Mario to look like Dr. Mario, but you'd still be able to choose pink, black, green, etc.

Still, costumes do sound unlikely since Daisy would be a perfect Peach costume.

uhm....

I don't think I like this update. I mean, interesting feature, but seriously, if I want to watch Smash Bros I'll find good players on YouTube instead of watching random matches on my TV. I mean, sure, I guess we can unlock stuf (which essentially forces us to use the feature) .... but ... meh...

I just.. I dunno, this update bugs me kind of. I kind of feel like it'll be similar to Camera mode in Melee. It was interesting, but no one ever really used it.

I don't think I like this update. I mean, interesting feature, but seriously, if I want to watch Smash Bros I'll find good players on YouTube instead of watching random matches on my TV. I mean, sure, I guess we can unlock stuf (which essentially forces us to use the feature) .... but ... meh...

Yea.. but YouTube compresses the shit out of their video and quality usually decreases a good bit. Wouldn't it be nice to watch a good match on a nice, big TV?

Amen to that. Really, like Camera mode, this update is great for certain people, and neutral to others. It's definitely not something that would hurt the game if included, and I'm sure those that are planning on using it will use it well (I'm one of the few people I know of who actively uses Camera mode in Melee, and I get some damn good SS's, too). What I think is great is that it will allow novice players who want to observe specific character's techniques to easily do so by letting them observe a variety of skilled (hopefully) players in real-time, in high quality. Lord knows I got better after observing people play Link / Doc.

A point goes to Sakurai.

--Jack Kieser

uhm....

I just.. I dunno, this update bugs me kind of. I kind of feel like it'll be similar to Camera mode in Melee. It was interesting, but no one ever really used it.

man, they keep putting in features where the concept is really cool, but they have to go out of their way to dumb it down just in case a frikken baby wants to play the game, because nintendo has to make games that cater to EVERYONE.

why can't they just have a little thing that says "if you're a frikken baby and want us to handle all options and change your diapers for you, check this box. if you think you can handle a few OPTIONS and use these features to their full potential, check this one."

Yea.. but YouTube compresses the shit out of their video and quality usually decreases a good bit. Wouldn't it be nice to watch a good match on a nice, big TV?

Exactly what I was thinking. Of course, if all we get is random matches delivered to us, then the youtube matches might be preferable.

I just hope they can deliver the technical aspect so that it actually works. It sounds like a total pain to get it working smoothly. FPS games did it a full decade ago, but never in auto-broadcast.

I dunno, I kind of got the impression that the data is in a way recorded and sent to Nintendo for people to watch later, not as it's going on. But maybe I'm just interpreting it terribly horribly wrong.

Exactly what I was thinking. Of course, if all we get is random matches delivered to us, then the youtube matches might be preferable.

You may be right there. I'm sure the people that want to watch the good matches may go to YouTube.. but I'm sure there will be some good matches showing up on Spectator mode. Sakurai is right though by saying the mode will be good for beginners or those not good at fighting games.. letting them watch and get the hang of things, or watch a certain characters' moves and how they're utilized, etc.

I dunno, I kind of got the impression that the data is in a way recorded and sent to Nintendo for people to watch later, not as it's going on. But maybe I'm just interpreting it terribly horribly wrong.

"This mode is a service where Nintendo uses Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to send the data for games played between other people to every Smash household."

It sounds like the data is recorded for your match, sent to Nintendo, and then distributed from their servers to your wii. So the matches probably won't be viewed in real time.

You may be right there. I'm sure the people that want to watch the good matches may go to YouTube.. but I'm sure there will be some good matches showing up on Spectator mode. Sakurai is right though by saying the mode will be good for beginners or those not good at fighting games.. letting them watch and get the hang of things, or watch a certain characters' moves and how they're utilized, etc.

Oh, definitely. And having this feature included certainly won't hurt the game in any way... only help. I'll probably be using it a bit myself.

man, they keep putting in features where the concept is really cool, but they have to go out of their way to dumb it down just in case a frikken baby wants to play the game, because nintendo has to make games that cater to EVERYONE.

why can't they just have a little thing that says "if you're a frikken baby and want us to handle all options and change your diapers for you, check this box. if you think you can handle a few OPTIONS and use these features to their full potential, check this one."

Agreed 100%.

Agreed 100%.

I agree with him 50%. Seeing my girlfriend play co-star mode for Super Mario Galaxy and reading the instruction manual in the bed makes me think that Nintendo is on to something. As far as Smash Brothers Brawl goes - it's a hardcore game for hardcore people. Yet, if the interface is appealing to my gf and grandma, and they want to try, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't agree that Brawl is a hardcore game for hardcore people.

Super Smash Brothers was always meant to cater to both the casual and to the hardcore. If you throw a bunch of casual Melee players together, I'd wager they'd have just as much fun with the game as a group of the hardcore playing together. Brawl will almost assuredly be the same way, and the Spectator Mode update is some evidence to that. Smash is meant to be a game for everyone: Simple to pick up, but very difficult to truly master.

That said, I like this Spectator Mode thing. I wouldn't mind finding a good fight or two with my Wii and watchin' how it plays out. That could be good entertainment if I can't find anything on TV.

ya see this would be a good idea if they let you PICK A CERTAIN PLAYER WHOSE MATCHES YOU WANNA WATCH

seriously for the love of god what idiot is going to sit around and watch completely anonymous smash matches

I'm sure plenty of people are.

How would they execute this player search function that you desire? Do you know how many people use the same name, or how many people would pose as a good player by using their name?

ya see this would be a good idea if they let you PICK A CERTAIN PLAYER WHOSE MATCHES YOU WANNA WATCH

seriously for the love of god what idiot is going to sit around and watch completely anonymous smash matches

Stop your bitching. It is just an additional feature, not something mandatory that you have to use.

Don't like it? DON'T USE IT.

I think Atma is completely right. Why dont you just watch 4 [very hard] computers fight each other instead. I think it would be pretty much the same.

If it had the names of the people fighting, then it would be a much better feature.

I'm sure plenty of people are.

How would they execute this player search function that you desire? Do you know how many people use the same name, or how many people would pose as a good player by using their name?

ever hear of friend codes?

But seriously if you cold chose who you're going to watch you could set up an online tournament so easy. You have a tournament of 32 players, playing 4 at a time, top two procede. You could have the entire tournament viewing all of the matches. And after a while you'd see some kick ass battles near the finals. That would be fucking entertaining.

I agree with him 50%. Seeing my girlfriend play co-star mode for Super Mario Galaxy and reading the instruction manual in the bed makes me think that Nintendo is on to something. As far as Smash Brothers Brawl goes - it's a hardcore game for hardcore people. Yet, if the interface is appealing to my gf and grandma, and they want to try, I'm all for it.

i get what you mean, but just having options isn't going to ruin anything. right now from what i understand, you go into the spectator mode and it automatically sets you up with a match to watch. but it wouldn't ruin it for anyone to just have it so that you go into spectator mode, and then you can choose to either have a match set up automatically, or find one that you want to watch. this goes for ALL the features they're throwing in that could be a lot better - WOULD be a lot better, if they didn't go out of their way to make it so you have no options at all.

think about all the options you have for setting up a match in melee. anyone who's never even played before can just go to melee, select a character and hit start and be playing with all the default options. but, for people who want to change the options, you have the CHOICE to go to options and change stuff to your liking. does this ruin it for people who just want to start up a match without any care for what options are set? nope, because they don't have to bother with the options if they don't want to.

i can definitely see how this feature is useful for people who are just starting the game. they wouldn't care about finding certain people to watch; just watching any people who at least know the basics of the game can give them an idea of how the game is played. but other than that, it's just what atma said. who's gonna sit around and watch completely anonymous and random matches? sure this feature's great for beginners, but uh...that's it. it wouldn't cost them anything to just flat-out make this feature a whole lot better.

edit, to make a long story short. sure nintendo is getting it right at being welcoming to brand new players, like that dude's girlfriend for example. but it seems like for the most part, they're neglecting the other people, when they could easily make things good for both.