Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

A lot of truth but I have to pick out this is wrong. Fox is fast enough that he doesn't require wavedash. Fox is more suited for dash dance and pivot games with the jump-cancel grabs (anyone who doesn't know about this, feel free to ask) with relentless (but smart) follow-ups. Also short hop neutral A kicks are godly if you've chipped their shield away enough...

Short hops are really easy with Fox. If you want something somewhat difficult, try something like... dashing short hop reverse laser. :P

Fox isn't my main, but in high level play I don't think I've lost very many matches when using him. I'd consider him my 2nd best?

Being able to waveshine is a skill Fox needs to have. Well, not needs... but heck, I hate this point. When someone says, "You don't need this move, this strategy, or this technique to win," I always think, "No, you don't, but you'll be better off knowing it." However, it comes to be a problem when too many statements like that stack up.

Does a Fox need to know how to wavedash to win a tournament? No. Does he need to L-cancel to win? Not necessarily. Is dashdancing a necessity for the win? Not at all. But when you throw them all together, your chances of success are drastically lower. It's the little skills like this that will take the game sometimes. There will be matches lost because you can't follow up your dair with l-cancel > shine > WD > upsmash, and are punished for your lack of ability.

So seriously, you don't need to know how to do anything necessarily to win a match. Just, as you play against more skilled opponents, your chances of winning will plummet if you fail to apply those same techniques skillfully.

How the FUDGESICLES did someone without Mu Training learn PK Starstorm?

I wouldn't be annoyed at this turn of events if I could, y'know, play the game so as to understand how that happen.

Actually, to be honest, I'm not even mad now. That's a pretty sweet Final Smash. We still need Ness, though, so I can bust out PK High 5 on people. (I'm playing through the game right now, and that's what I'm calling it.)

Holy shit yes. PSI Hotsex as a final smash would fucking rule.

I don't know. I thought it was just ripped from Squaresoft games that often had lame assist spells..

Anyway this update is great. I don't hate Lucas anymore. I still want Ness, and NOT a broken Ness like in the 2nd game, but I'm pretty content now.

The last 2-3 weeks have been immensely lame, but they have to stretch out the updates somehow, with another 2+ months before the first release in the game.

Oh, and LEVEL UP!

(cue Final Fantasy level up music, FF battle victory music, and a lame Sega CD announcer stating how much awesomer my character is now)

Being able to waveshine is a skill Fox needs to have. Well, not needs... but heck, I hate this point. When someone says, "You don't need this move, this strategy, or this technique to win," I always think, "No, you don't, but you'll be better off knowing it." However, it comes to be a problem when too many statements like that stack up.

Does a Fox need to know how to wavedash to win a tournament? No. Does he need to L-cancel to win? Not necessarily. Is dashdancing a necessity for the win? Not at all. But when you throw them all together, your chances of success are drastically lower. It's the little skills like this that will take the game sometimes. There will be matches lost because you can't follow up your dair with l-cancel > shine > WD > upsmash, and are punished for your lack of ability.

So seriously, you don't need to know how to do anything necessarily to win a match. Just, as you play against more skilled opponents, your chances of winning will plummet if you fail to apply those same techniques skillfully.

This is all true. But like I said, it's not needed. I find all the L-Cancel, Waveshine business not that difficult (I'm known to be a technical beast) but in the high level tournament experiences I've gone through I know that if I'm not playing smart, my technical ability will hardly have anything to show for it. I got to play some good folks at Smash at Ken's house awhile ago. I wasn't getting four stocked or anything but it sure was humbling. Playing incredibly smart by far outweighs playing with incredible technical ability. Acquiring both... well that's the path to being truly great at this game. :)

This is all true. But like I said, it's not needed. I find all the L-Cancel, Waveshine business not that difficult (I'm known to be a technical beast) but in the high level tournament experiences I've gone through I know that if I'm not playing smart, my technical ability will hardly have anything to show for it. I got to play some good folks at Smash at Ken's house awhile ago. I wasn't getting four stocked or anything but it sure was humbling. Playing incredibly smart by far outweighs playing with incredible technical ability. Acquiring both... well that's the path to being truly great at this game. :)
Yup, can't argue with that.

Final Smashes = Banned in tourneys. I called it.

we only ban things to make people who don't go to tourneys mad. i mean heck, you guys think people get together from all over the country to actually play smash bros? ha, we just get in a big circle and laugh about how angry we're making everyone. then at a certain point in the "tournament," the best part happens. we have people stand up on a stage and nominate new things to ban in future tournaments, for the sole reason of making people mad. people vote on which ones to ban, but usually we just go ahead and ban everything that was nominated because we are PURE EVIL, AH HA HA.

WE REVOLVE AROUND PEOPLE WHO DON'T PLAY COMPETITIVELY; WE ONLY EXIST TO PISS THEM OFF.

WE REVOLVE AROUND PEOPLE WHO DON'T PLAY COMPETITIVELY; WE ONLY EXIST TO PISS THEM OFF.

Ok.. Ok that makes sense...

Well are people going to use FS`s in tourneys, On one hand there much like Supers in most other fighting games. But on the other hand...They change the game instantly...

Like I know.. I dont even have a wii... But what ever,..

Yup, can't argue with that.

Excellent. Now seriously, anyone in the Bay Area want to play Smash with me? I'm pretty lonely when it comes to gaming. :(

I'm from So Cal, but if you want to fly down in the winter at some tournament, you're more than welcome :-P

Ok more seriously there has to be some group that plays. WHich school do you go to? There's always smash player at a university... assuming you're in a university.

Also, try to check out smashboards.com. They seem to set up a lot of BBS related events you could look into

I forgot what I did... I gave weird answers for the Boy's special move... and it is freaky pulling hamburgers out of the trash in an RPG... and eating it. And hitting hippies with baseball bats. And 'erasing' statues.

Dude, that game was out there. It was like the creator was permanently on something very, very bad for you... but comical to watch.:tomatoface:

I think I had PSI Ultima once... I loved that game... and PSI Space Invaders or PSI Ultra 64 (anyone know what that means? :))

Yeah whatever... I've played games for a long time. :-P

All games should let you name the 'big spell of ultimate destruction' You could change Meteo into "Happy Stars of Niceness" or Omnislash into "Clouds Storm of pretty colored slices" or Bahumut into "Barney Attacks Godzilla!"

And now to bed!

Excellent. Now seriously, anyone in the Bay Area want to play Smash with me? I'm pretty lonely when it comes to gaming. :(
What MasterSenshi said. Consult smashboards > regional zones > pacific west > whatever. There's bound to be something in your area or near. Does the Bay Area count as NorCal or SoCal?

It's NorCal. Basically everything north of Bakersfield is NorCal. Sacramento and the Bay Area are the the largest areas. L.A. and San Diego are the SoCal metro areas (basically all the population in SoCal spreads out from L.A. until the desert and then there's a break in the mountains between San Diego county and the L.A. area)

So Gimpyfish has been saying that DK is basically the same, except for:

*Huge buff to down B

*Nerf to range and power of neautral B

*Up air was buffed

*Random changes to range or knockback, very minor

...and not a lot else.

I liked DK in Melee A LOT, but I do worry that with all the mediocre to bad characters getting better and all the high tier ones being slightly toned down (except for Peach, who is the harbringer of DEATH now apparently) that DK's status of "in the middle" might not change at all. I mean, hge always did take considerable skill to do good with, and I liked that. I just hope he doesn't get left behind while too many other characters pass him up.

Well I know I could consult Smashboards, but I'd rather not. Though I know I would find more hardcore Smashers at Smashboards I feel I'd be more comfortable playing with people from these boards just because I've been here for so many years. *shrugs*

It was much easier to find people to play with at UC Santa Barbara but those days are over. :(

one thing i wish this game could have

and i am not bringing this up to be mr meanie i just realized this

why did nintendo give up the idea of custom soundtracks after excite truck

this game would be PERFECT for custom soundtracks

think about it

im sure tons of you kiddies have thought "i wish (enter remix name here) could be in smash" and boom there it could be

creating your own stage then inputting your own mp3 as the bgm?

sounds like a good idea to me

i dont care how good a games soundtrack is custom soundtracks are never a bad thing

and it IS possible that nintendo could still put this in so i really hope they do

if there is an update announcing this i will be one happy internet jerk

This is one thing I've actually agreed with you on, Atma.

I liked that feature in Excite Truck (mostly because the music got grating - it was never wonderful to begin with, by any stretch of the imagination) and I wish I could see it in more games. Granted, I wouldn't see myself using it in a Smash Bros. game all that much, with the copious good music going in (and the ability to choose frequency of specific tunes), but still. The more games that allow me to customize - music, controls, things of that nature - the better.