Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Elastic band effect??? Huh?

He means that nobody will be able to get too far ahead in a match, as the people in last place will be given help by the game so they can keep up. Just like putting two marbles in a rubber band and stretching it, you can only pull so far before they snap back together.

Or the person who gets the pity smash will be too nub to use it well, resulting in a phailure use or the better player beating it out of them.

Also, didn't we already get this update? I swear Sakurai is repeating himself.

Except for the music. ++ there.

He means that nobody will be able to get too far ahead in a match, as the people in last place will be given help by the game so they can keep up. Just like putting two marbles in a rubber band and stretching it, you can only pull so far before they snap back together.

Oh, duh. I should've known that's what he was talking about.

Yeah it's pretty much retarded when a game tries to artificially make a match closer than it should be. He doesn't say anything about being able to adjust the frequencies of smash balls and pity smashes independently. Hope you can.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Pity Smashes are either part of the Handicap system or can be turned off. Obviously if you can turn Smash Balls (Heh, that sounds funny... Smash balls...) off then logically there'd be a way to turn Pity Smash off. Even then, a "significant" point advantage sounds like you'd have to be kicking the crap out of someone to get a Pity Smash, and even then, they're not guaranteed it. At least this is how I interpret it.

Just how bad do you people need to whoop someone?!

Oh, it's not that I think a pity smash can turn around a game or anything. The person using it will still probably lose, but it's just really lame to hand the loser a super-powerful attack just for the sake of slightly reducing the amount they'll lose by. Also I could see it getting annoying in 4 player matches.

No big deal though. Of course you can turn them off. I just hope there's separate on/off toggles for smash balls and pity smashes.

Honestly, with how broken certain final smashes seem to be (Bowser at the very least) it doesn't look like money matches are going to allow them at this point unless all trends are bucked and they let certain other items not named Super Spicy Curry in. We'll see.

I don't know if this has been said already, but it makes me wonder if the Smash Balls will be in Classic mode or any other mode for that matter other than Vs, I mean that would seriously make Classic mode easier than it already is. You would straight up crap on the computer and it'd be an instant win. I know they probably won't be in those modes, but it makes me wonder a little..

Yeahhhhh, fixed handicaps in games are silly. Two examples of how they can be done pop up in my mind; Blitz and Mario Kart. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm winning a long ass race by a bit the entire way through and then get hit with a blue shell at the last second, it never fails to piss me off. Even when I fire a blue shell, I feel like a complete douchebag.

On the other hand, Blitz is just retarded fun, and very hard to take seriously. Thus the handicap, which could get ridiculous, was mainly just amusing. That having been said, it was still irritating to lose a close game by a last minute fumble return.

Suffice it to say, I'm sure you'll be able to mess with the pity settings.

If they're going to go through all the trouble of getting the legal rights to get Bomberman in Brawl, why wouldn't you make him playable?

Yeah, good point. But he's not that popular, is he? People would probably see him and be like 'WTF?' But then again, I'm one of those people who's hoping for obscure characters (like Geno).

I'd say the pity smash balls will be toggle-able. I wonder, though: will CPUs get pity smashes?

I think Bomberman's definitely popular enough to be playable. If it weren't for Smash Bros, I'd wager he'd be more well-known than Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and Earthbound. Possibly...

I wonder, though: will CPUs get pity smashes?

Why not? Computers have feelings too! Especially when you're fighting a team of 3 Bowsers. If you start winning by too much, you'd better watch out!!!

Hmmm... if the pity smash (which I will hereby refer to as "loser ball") is customizable to the point that you can make everyone but the first place player(s) get a loser ball, it could make for some interesting matches....

Only motion mines and Bob-ombs on highest, 300% damage, loser balls turned to max, 4-Wario free for all with 50 lives each... top that off with a custom stage that's shaped like a funnel and blasting "hip" beats, and you've got yourself a fun time filled with impressive bike jumps. WOW I finally grasped just how customizable this game is going to be 8O

Wait, wait, I'm getting something....

Gigantic level shaped like slanted girders with ladders... Gravity set to max... fixed camera, only barrels on highest... WAIT, and some hammers too.... 3 Mario's with 300% damage vs 1 Donkey Kong with 0% damage... DK arcade remix..!!!! WOOOAAAOAAOOAAHHOHHH!!!!!

We need an AT that screams 'Slicer!' and flies across the screen, slicing everyone it touches.

That would be sweet.

And also an AT that comes down and breaths fire on all, burning them to shreds.

That would be so awesome.

And lastly an old warrior, with faded armour in an off blue tone, that destroys any pokemon and offending characters in a few swift strikes.

That would be so awesome as well.

Then again, when fighting another character in single player, you better watch the hell out.

Or worse, they'll make you fight other characters in permanent FS-mode, like Giga Bowser, Dragon Yoshi, etc...

Maybe this would create a glitch for Samus. Zero Laser, Crystal Flash. Zero Laser, Crystal flash. (Grating crash noise).

:)