Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

One thing that I'm very curious about is when someone gets replaced by a computer, what level will that computer be. It seems to me that the best possibilities would either be level 5 or level 9. It would seem kinda sucky if an inexperianced noob gets replaced by a level 9 computer mid-fight.

The game probably just takes whatever the handicap for the player before they d/c'd and applies it as a certain level for the computer. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do that, I guess if they D/C before the match starts the computer will just be set at medium level (like uh 4).

The game probably just takes whatever the handicap for the player before they d/c'd and applies it as a certain level for the computer. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do that, I guess if they D/C before the match starts the computer will just be set at medium level (like uh 4).

Maybe the CPU will be neural net processor. A learning computer.

Oh my, I did not like that update one bit. Admittedly it's funny, but so very disappointing =(

I was wondering what kind of update they'd make for Christmas day... possibly same old same old, maybe some special Christmas related assist trophy or song... maybe they'll reveal the REAL online mode!

Did I say "Simple is best"?! What I meant was "Online mode is simply the best"! In online mode, you can choose all the options you want, just like regular group play. Ha ha, you didn't think we would make everyone play 2-minute matches, did you??? Who do you think I am, the Smash Nazi? "No stock for you!" Ha ha! Get it? "Stock"???

kirby_071009e.jpg

I made a joke about soup. Look at Kirby, I hear he is making soup!

Some people may be confused, because before there was no options button, and now there is an options button.

wi-fi01_070918a.jpg

W- Where is the options button?!

wi-fi04_071207b.jpg

There it is!

This is where you choose your options. Isn't this more simple than forcing you to play 2 minute matches with 4 people? It's almost TOO simple. You can choose between 2, 5, and 10 minute Time matches, and 2, 4, or 8 Stock matches, and also the number of players. And of course, you can turn on Special Brawl. If Special Brawl is on, the kind of Special Brawl you play will be chosen by lottery, just like stages! All of these options are making me dizzy!

But how do you choose your skill level, so you can play against anonymous strangers of similar skill? It's stored with your name, of course!

By the way, this new online mode takes up so much room on the disk, we had to remove some of the characters. I apologize.

wi-fi04_071207d.jpg

These are all of the characters now. Kirby where did you gooooooooooo???

Kirby, come back! I- I love you Kirby!!

Personally, I don't like the idea of replacing players with a CPU. I'd like to play online mode for fun. But I don't play against CPUs, because I don't find it fun (they're just too dumb). So, if I choose a mode that was specifically added so you could play against other PEOPLE, why would I want them switched with CPUs??? If they're still as dumb as in Melee, you WILL be able to tell when a player drops out. It's when they start randomly jumping in the hole and failing to notice every move that takes more than 2 seconds to execute, while magically countering all of your fast attacks the frame before they get hit. Oh yes, and they'll ignore that extra fraction of a second called lag, and mystically locate Smash Balls and Golden Hammers that aren't even on the screen. If all these AI issues are addressed, then I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

I think everyone is living with it. The problem is just that some of us are seeing complaining each nice, ad nauseum, seemingly following ANY sort of update. It's pointless to complain about every new aspect of a game you supposedly like. It's more like saying you're afraid the game will suck, and each day you get a little more evidence to substantiate your fears.

Life is too short to spend worrying about something you have no control over. Enjoy the updates, or sleep or something. We could've been totally in the dark like with 99% of games out there. Some people are enjoying these updates, including myself. If you don't like it, you can do something else, you don't need to post complaints every night over each minuscule quanta of update you dislike.

this is the only thing i've posted that i dislike though.

also bigfoot, what's wrong with comparing battle.net to brawl's online in that regard? i'm just showing how it's possible to have a free online that isn't unnecessarily crippled. i mean, you can't even choose how many players are in the match when you go to play. nintendo doesn't need to have a big subscription-based online system just to give the user a few basic (and i mean really basic) options.

and from what i can see, every time this is brought up, people always try to justify nintendo. i hear crap like "just be happy you're getting any online at all" no, it really does suck that brawl's online is crippled.

brawl will still be awesome, and i wouldn't let something like how the online system is set up affect my judgment of the game on a whole. that's got nothing to do with the actual gameplay and everything.

wi-fi04_071207b-l.jpg

Why would they make such a point to add the word "anonymously" if there weren't a non-anonymous (nominal?) mode that could be played with people you don't know?

I was wondering what kind of update they'd make for Christmas day... possibly same old same old, maybe some special Christmas related assist trophy or song... maybe they'll reveal the REAL online mode!

All I want for Christmas is a Belmont. And Mega Man. And a real online mode.

So, if I choose a mode that was specifically added so you could play against other PEOPLE, why would I want them switched with CPUs???

What else are you going to do if someone's connection fails? Let's consider the alternatives. Playing with CPUs > playing against Sandbag (though that would be funny) > playing against nobody >> waiting 45 seconds to drop the player, then quitting the game because he was your teammate. Hahaha StarCraft.

Am I going crazy or wasn't there a DOJO update that went over your options in the With Friends mode specifically?

We don't know yet whether you have any options in friends games, except that you can do 2-4 player matches. It has rooms, but I don't see any 'options' button anywhere.

When doing With Anyone, you should be able to make a lobby with yourself or with some friends, then be able to do matchmaking for timed, stock, team, item settings, giant melee, fixed camera, whatever. That way they could still keep their stupid anonymous bullshit while giving us some freedom.

Or they could just do the traditional style where there's a list of rooms to join, each with a host who chooses all the settings. Either way would be a whole lot better than what we have now.

Also CPUs replacing players that drop out is an alright idea. It's just the fact that it doesn't tell you when they drop that pisses me off. Why Nintendo needs to needlessly hold information, I don't know.

Also CPUs replacing players that drop out is an alright idea. It's just the fact that it doesn't tell you when they drop that pisses me off. Why Nintendo needs to needlessly hold information, I don't know.

So that potential sore losers don't get the pleasure of knowing that their opponent knows they dropped out.

I haven't followed the ssbb stuff too closely...basically just grabbing whatever updates come off vgcats or CAD, but I don't know too much about online mode.

All I'm wondering is...will they allow 1v3 matches? Because those were some of the most fun matches I had with friends, but other online games I've played haven't let you do that...

Honestly I'd just like to see an online mode with all the bells and whistles melee vs mode had to offer.

Though from the sounds of some of the posts on this thread I'm not quite sure if things'll turn out that well...

i just watched this on newgrounds and it gave me a few laughs. it's a bunch of short sprite movies about brawl.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/413257

Geno: if I'm somehow not in this game...I'm going to blow up Japan.

That was actually pretty good. Wasn't laughing out loud the whole time or anything, but it was entertaining.

Also I always agreed atma, it's just this last update that drove the shitiness levels through the roof.

I suppose the fact that they've shown "with friend" matches being chosen from a list of preset "rooms" might indicate that there are a multitude of options to tinker with before a friend code battle. Though, oddly, there wasn't any clarification in that regard, so I suppose I filled in some blanks myself subconsciously and... just assumed there was a "With Friends" update.

I almost hate to bring this up, but judging by the screenshots a few days ago, it looks like you can only register up to 64 friends. So much for the hope of registering every single person on teh internets as my friend. :|

ya i have had this issue and i was being a SUPER NICE internet jerk not complaining about it

64 may sound like a lot but hey so did 100 on xbl (no im not even close to filling that but tons of people are)

and being that you are going to WANT TONS of people on your friends list since the non friends play is balls youre gonna register a LOT of people

it would require NOTHING on nintnedos part to make the list a LOT bigger

That was actually pretty good. Wasn't laughing out loud the whole time or anything, but it was entertaining.

Also I always agreed atma, it's just this last update that drove the shitiness levels through the roof.

Cool kids settle their problems with hammers.

Ohmygoodnesswhatisthis I got bat wings!

^only real good parts.

So that potential sore losers don't get the pleasure of knowing that their opponent knows they dropped out.

This is a good point. Of course, there'll always be people who drop out anyway, but at least this might convince some people to continue playing a match they're losing because, hey, you have nothing to lose anyway.

omg animal crossing character clone

Interesting observation, considering the Harvest Moon series started in the SNES era and Animal Crossing started in the GCN era.

Brian could be an interesting addition. Only problem is that Quest 64 kinda sucked.

That's the only thing holding it back, though... It was a nintendo-exclusive series (another game was made for GB(/C?), There are quite a few ways the various spells could be used for attacks, Ultimate Wind or Avalanche would make amazing Smash Attacks, and Mammons' theme rocks. Which is why I said the Jack and Brian would be great choices, due to their potential.

I doubt it will give you a choice on how many players per match. I see it working like basically every wfc game that goes up to 4 players; you search for players until the timer runs out, then fight with however many there are that joined the match

sounds better

but smash will be extremely populated so im sure itll be 4 every time