Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Jigglypuff has stronger attacks (a la one-hit-kill sleep attack)

Young Link is damn fast and his spin attack pulls you in for extra damage. Link's spin attack pushes you away.

Gannon is slightly more powerful and a lot heavier (which effects how far you can be thrown and how fast you fall).

Luigi is taller and slightly more powerful.

I wouldn't boast the wonders of Rest...you have to be inside your enemy for it to have an effect and if it misses (which it almost invariably does) it leaves her open for getting KO'd (which, let's be honest, you could do by giving her a slightly suspicious glare)

Young Link's additional speed isn't really handy unless you're playing keep-away...though considering it's an open warfare game I can't see why you would.

I don't throw characters given how ineffective it is. It's much better to do attacks that do more damage. Like anything but a throw. Ganon does do more damage, but considering you can go and get a sammich between the time he starts an attack and the time he does it, that's not so hot.

Luigi's...just a tool and I hate him.

Another example, Pichu. Did we really need a worse version of Pikachu? I could understand if Pichu dealt more damage with the more damage he took (kinda like ABA from guilty gear) but...he doesnt. He's just a self-destructive poor second choice for self-imposed "No clone" rules.

It's fun to be Pichu and actually do really well.
Is...that even possible?

Rest is really easy to pull off, really easy. Downward spiral into a rest, works every time.

I rip assholes open with Captain Falcon.

That comment could not have been gayer even if it had been about drinking tea at a rose garden in San Francisco during the gay pride parade while courting a person of the same sex by quoting Beaudelair with lisp.

LOL!!!

Edit: Also, no SSB3 at the press conference :(.

That comment could not have been gayer even if it had been about drinking tea at a rose garden in San Francisco during the gay pride parade while courting a person of the same sex by quoting Beaudelair with lisp.

:lol:

Seriously... No SSB on E3!! :( Arek was right...

Oh well, expect SSB at that conference in Japan!

For those of you who want to see something weird done in SSBM, look at this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5698408923927326067&q

Notice that several glitches are exploited (such as infinite Super Scope ammo) to create that big one later on.

Also, lower the volume, the sound is crap.

Wow... that was like an episode of Dragonball Z for a few mintues there.

For those of you who want to see something weird done in SSBM, look at this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5698408923927326067&q

Notice that several glitches are exploited (such as infinite Super Scope ammo) to create that big one later on.

Also, lower the volume, the sound is crap.

Wow... that was like an episode of Dragonball Z for a few mintues there.

I actually did this today with some friends. It was amazing fun :).

:lol:

Seriously... No SSB on E3!! :( Arek was right...

You really shouldn't get your hopes up like that...

Seriously...have any of you people actually bothered USING Ganondorf?!?! I mean, yeah, some of his attacks are quite slow, but he's got plenty of attacks that are fast enough, and anything he does can kill you, including his basic melee attack. Plus, he's a damn tank. I once lasted so long with him at Hyrule Temple, I had well over 700% damage when I died, with no tweaking to the damage percentage. Ganondorf is certainly better than Captain Falcon, atleast.

Also, Luigi's only average at ground combat, but his aerial attacks are completely cheap.

And you guys left out Dr. Mario & Roy, both of which are about as good as there originals, Mario & Marth. Then there's Falco, who's pretty much a slower Fox from the first game.

Heh, anyway. ^_^

What exactly is the problem with Shiek? Is she generally really good or bad? I can do pretty well with her, myself. Who's generally considered the best character?

Man, they better show some SSB stuff at the main show. That's pretty much the main reason I want the Nintendo Wii. If it's gonna be a launch game, you'd think that they'd have SOMETHING on it.

You really shouldn't get your hopes up like that...

I think Spaceworld will be very interesting this year. Nintendo will have to reveal everything by that point.

..it's just like them to hold back secrets like this. :x

Young Link's additional speed isn't really handy unless you're playing keep-away...though considering it's an open warfare game I can't see why you would.

If you're playing against a slower character, it really comes in handy. Also, my brother can pretty much rape me repeatedly with his Up+B attack.

I don't throw characters given how ineffective it is. It's much better to do attacks that do more damage. Like anything but a throw.

That really depends on the character. With a character like Link or Samus that can grab from a range, I find it very useful. Also, a good tactic is to throw them into an explosive item or a teammate who can pummel them some more. If you really wanna be a jerk, playing a game of catch is always fun.

A friend of mine (Mr. Monday, if you know him) has an amazing "finishing move" that he like to use. Basically, it's Fox's Grab+Down move, right over the ledge. (It's the one where Fox throws you down and then shoots you).

Ganon does do more damage, but considering you can go and get a sammich between the time he starts an attack and the time he does it, that's not so hot.

Timing, my friend, time. I use Capt. Falcon every once in a while when I don't feel my relexes are doing very good, but for the most part, Gannondorf's slowness doesn't affect my playing too much. As I posted earlier, you just can't expect to take the "beat them so fast they can't do anything" approach when using him.

Not gunna try to argue with you on that one. I pretty much hate him too... but I've met people who can use him quite well.

Another example, Pichu. Did we really need a worse version of Pikachu? I could understand if Pichu dealt more damage with the more damage he took (kinda like ABA from guilty gear) but...he doesnt. He's just a self-destructive poor second choice for self-imposed "No clone" rules.

Yeah... I never quite got what made Pichu worth having in the game. Anyone care to explain?

Jigglypuff has stronger attacks (a la one-hit-kill sleep attack)

Young Link is damn fast and his spin attack pulls you in for extra damage. Link's spin attack pushes you away.

Gannon is slightly more powerful and a lot heavier (which effects how far you can be thrown and how fast you fall).

Luigi is taller and slightly more powerful.

I wouldn't boast the wonders of Rest...you have to be inside your enemy for it to have an effect and if it misses (which it almost invariably does) it leaves her open for getting KO'd (which, let's be honest, you could do by giving her a slightly suspicious glare)

I don't throw characters given how ineffective it is. It's much better to do attacks that do more damage. Like anything but a throw. Ganon does do more damage, but considering you can go and get a sammich between the time he starts an attack and the time he does it, that's not so hot.

It's fun to be Pichu and actually do really well.
Is...that even possible?

Rest is really easy to pull off, really easy. Downward spiral into a rest, works every time.

Yea... maybe if you're incapable of blocking. Even if you nail the downward spiral, anyone can block inbetween the spiral and the rest... even if you L-Cancel. Downward spiral to rest works everytime only in SSB64.

As for Ganondorf being better than Captain Falcon, I have never seen a comment more wrong concerning Melee ever since I heard people say Jigglypuff was bad.

Edit: Changed SSBM to SSB64.

Edit: Pichu's only advantage is a boost in speed. Nothing else really. I'd stay away from Pichu altogether.

And you guys left out Dr. Mario & Roy, both of which are about as good as there originals, Mario & Marth. Then there's Falco, who's pretty much a slower Fox from the first game.
Well, see...Mario/Dr Mario I can't really see any difference between them, which is why I left them out.

Roy is better than Marth, I have found...the AI like to gang up on you and jump all over you. Since Roy does more damage at close quarters this is good for you. Not to mention his uppercut does 5 or 6 strikes whereas Marth's does the one. I play as Marth when I go against my friend Rob, though...he has a habit of picking someone like Mario, hiding at the back and just hurling fireballs around. Marth countering the fireballs means you're more likely to get someone with the very tip of the blade, which does more damage than closer to the hilt.

That really depends on the character. With a character like Link or Samus that can grab from a range, I find it very useful.
I find it to be quite the opposite...Link and Samus have long winded throw moves that you can't break out of. If they miss then you're stood there for a couple of seconds completely unable to defend yourself. Almost everyone else (with the exeption of young link) just lunges and if they miss it's no big deal.

I suppose I need to work on my timing with link/samus to get their catches to work properly. Or make the AI stand still. Either works.

Not gunna try to argue with you on that one. I pretty much hate him too... but I've met people who can use him quite well.

I figure I'd best get more specific...Luigi is, pretty much, a second Mario clone. His fireball move is different, but not particularly useful. I use fireballs/megavitamins to attack long range ground-based targets, which luigi has a habit of missing.

His Left/Right+B move has a chance of killing him in several levels. You know how he normally just flies slowly across the screen...when he explodes and goes flying, he'll often KO himself at the same time. Handy when you're against him (especially when you're fighting the metal brothers in single player mode) but not if you're playing as him.

First off, Dr. Mario kicks Mario's ASS.

Ganandorf's best move, (and it KICKS ASS, totally making up for anything you may say about him) is a running half jump into a down c-stick in midair. It's fast, and does a ton of damage, and will KO at fairly low percents, unless the guy jumps, in which case you slam him back to the ground.

Pichu does more damage than Pikachu, and his best feature is the fact that his walk is as fast as most characters run. What can you do from a walk that you can't do in a run? C-stick. Use his walk forward into a C-stick forward and watch you're friends cry. ESEPCIALLY when you have bunny ears. If you can control the difference between him walking and running, you are a god with Pichu.

Marth's Up B only hits once becuase it's meant to be a KO move. It sends people flying across the screen if you do it on top of them.

To whoever said Luigi is a Mario clone... wtf man? His forward A and down A in midair are amazing.... He also floats! If that's not enough to tell you Luigi's supposed to be faught in the air... I dunno. C'mon, man!

I think that was everything.

Hmm... I prefer Mario to Dr.Mario just because of speed. My main playing style with Mario is jumping a lot. And timing double jumps. So Dr.Mario doesn't really fit for me.

Also someone asked what was the deal with Shiek? Well, she's just way overpowered. Her running A move is meant for KO's and so is the Smash Up. Besides, she is insanely fast and if you add the fact you can switch to Zelda if you are high on DMG or to finish your opponent...well...

I must say, SSBM is one of my all time favorite games. The original was amazing, don't get me wrong, but it pales in comparison to the titan that is SSBM. I beat the game with every character and my favorites are Falcon, Captain Falco, and Zelda (Sheik). Every character, including Game and Watch, has his or her own strengths and weaknesses, and discovering them was tons of fun. I can't wait for Super Smash Bros. Wii. I can't imagine how it will play with the new controllers.

What makes Jigglypuff a great character is her crazy ability to dodge stuff and do fake attacks in midair. When I play as her, I spend most of my time in the air, and try to open my opponent up for attack. Also, when an opponent is off the edge, because she can float really well, it makes for easier edge-guarding than most characters; she can fight your opponent in mid-air, and still make it back in time. It also helps that she has good air attacks.

As for Ganondorf, if you can master L-cancelling, Ganondorf is one hell of a tough adversary to contain. Also, if you know Ganondorf well enough, you can time your attacks just right so that the slower motion of him doesn't really affect your gameplay anymore.

Lastly, throwing isn't as effective as in SSB, but instead it is more of a tactical move. Because you can grab directly out of a shield, if an opponent is coming at you and you block, while they are recovering from their attack, you can easily grab them and perhaps combo them a bit from the throw. Of course, this works in reverse if someone coming at you, instead of attacking grabs you, they'll grab you through your sheild. So really, it's a mindgame at that point.

I need to add my own story...I consider myself pretty good at smash bros, and after a while started beating match after match with the same three characters...

First group:

Dr. Mario; Young Link; Marth

Well, after hearing how marth was a top tier character and considered slightly unfair, I picked other characters.

Dr. Mario; Young Link; Fox

Well, I was still owing and decided to pick some of the more unusual characters out there.

Second group:

Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo

I only got OK with Mewtwo, but the other two I can take to tournaments...HOWEVER, I was still winning far too often against all comers. I knew Bowser was pretty lame when it came to tiers, so I decided to play him over and over again. Also, I took time to master Roy during this same time.

Current Group:

Yoshi, Bowser, Roy

Now with bowser, unless there is a top tier character in the match, I'm almost guarenteed a win, and even with marth or fox in the match, I'll probably still win...my only downfall is a good shiek player....it sucks when you take 80% damage with no chance to strike back...at least I can kill shiek 60% though...

What is it with me and heavy characters?

I'm a little late with this post but by throw I meant the actual throw OR any condition where your character loses their footing (such as a smash attack at 100%) Gannondorf is very heavy and even smash attacks at high percentages don't send him nearly as far as other characters.

Falco is much heavier than Fox and slightly more powerful. Why do you think I use Fox in the Ultimate Doom Mode I created? (psst. He's the lightest character)

Jigglypuff's Rest is very effective when done in combination with TapDown (increase your falling speed and then Rest. Kiss your enemy goodbye).

Pichu is slightly faster and almost half the size of Pikachu. If you've ever fought an experienced player who is Pichu, they practically abuse ducking. (I play as Link and only my down moves can reach him)

My current best characters are:

Link

Marth

Captain Falcon

Samus

Yoshi

it didn't...this thread was created in anticipation for Super Smash Bros: Wii Edition or whatever, and has degraded into a play style thread...

lesse...tips for bowser...L-cancelling is your friend...don't dodge too much, you need to go on the offensive. Bowser will simply get torn apart if he only plays defense, and because he's so slow, many players do just that. Take advantage of Bowsers sheer power, and also, most importantly, learn to get the tilt attacks down. They're really fast for bowser, and can kill. Up+B is better for avoidance then dodging, because Bowser is slow as hell when it comes to side dodges. Also, you may not know this, but Bowsers Forward+B can grab people while Bowser himself is in midair. Great for catching people off guard. Smash down is good for snagging people who like to dodge behind you.

Overall, just practice. I don't recommend playing him till you got a good handle on most other characters, only because he's so slow, so you NEED to know how to react to most attacks.

Bowsers worst enemies are Samus and shiek. Samus because of the hard hitting range, and shiek because of the blistering speed. Fox has trouble KOing Bowser from his sheer weight, so you don't have to worry about him too much. Marth can be a problem, you'll have to mindgame him to death. I'd say more on marth, but nobody I know is super good with him...marth players on my system tend to be underexperience and get owned.

That list is huge load of BS. All the characters in SSBM are extremely well balanced. I've seen Kirby's kick the living out of Sheiks of the same fighting ability.

I play as Link and I do very well against all the characters.

Its all about knowing your character and exploiting everything you can. I personally think Sheik is a fairly bad character. No real long range stuff. His attacks are all mainly short range attacks. His speed can make up for it, but even when you switch to Zelda, the long range capabilities are highly under par.

Like wise, Mewtwo has some really good mid and long range attacks, as well as very strange movements (which definitely work in your favor). Overall its like I said before, its all about how you handle the character. Even Pichu (who I notice is at the very bottom) has a HUGE advantage (hes the smallest character. Good luck trying to hit him). Even though he accumulates damage every time he attacks, he is fast, small, and fairly powerful for his size, and that speaks volumes about what he is capable of.

Plus how can Marth and Roy be so far apart? THEYRE FRIGGIN CLONES!!

No, it's actually for an entirely different reason.

They are pretty much 100% correct in saying that the characters are tiered.

I agree with Cerrax. The characters are most definitely not tiered. I've seen Jigglypuff kick the out of big guys like Ganondorf plenty of times. Even with Pichu's self-damaging moves, he can still te the playing field. The key is learning how to use your character. Jigglypuff = Ganondorf = Link = Peach in the hands of a talented player.