Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I'm glad that SSBB won't use the Wiimote. Even though whole new gameplay could be unlocked, I'd hate to have played SSB for so long just to have to relearn how to play the game.

Yeah. And while several genres seem to work really well with the wii-mote (especially FPS, of course :P), fighting games aren't one of them. There'd be nothing intuitive about it. I'm sure everyone was relieved when they announced it wasn't gonna use the wii-mote.

If I remember correctly, the tier system is established in Final Destination, without any items.

So, basically, how the game is not meant to be played.

All the items, all the arenas, that is how SSB are supposed to be played.

So what if a pokeball can change the course of a game, anyone can pick it up. Luck and randomness are what make SSB and SSBM great.

If you think a character is advantaged by a stage, find ways to counter it. If a character is too powerful with one item (mewtwo + lightsaber for example) react accordingly.

A true great player does not turn off item, he learns to react to them.

I totally agree. Final Destination creates a huge advantage for projectile-gifted characters, like Samus. A slower, poor-jumping character has a rough time on such a stage. Personally, I think Battlefield is a more balanced stage, and a heck of a lot more fun. Some characters just perform better on stages with actual obstacles.

I'm glad that SSBB won't use the Wiimote. Even though whole new gameplay could be unlocked, I'd hate to have played SSB for so long just to have to relearn how to play the game.

Yeah. And while several genres seem to work really well with the wii-mote (especially FPS, of course :P), fighting games aren't one of them. There'd be nothing intuitive about it. I'm sure everyone was relieved when they announced it wasn't gonna use the wii-mote.

I know I was. It just...wouldn't work.

About Final Destination, I like it as a stage. I agree, though, that it definitely favors some characters over others. I think the tiers do exist, but they're amplified quite a bit when played on Final Destination, no items.

I know I was. It just...wouldn't work.

About Final Destination, I like it as a stage. I agree, though, that it definitely favors some characters over others. I think the tiers do exist, but they're amplified quite a bit when played on Final Destination, no items.

I don't notice any tiers. I can beat the snot out of anyone with anybody on any stage. There's no tiers. :)

My favorite stage is Battlefield, simply because I'm such a platform whore. I've pretty much tripled my chance of survival, just because of how difficult it is for my brothers to fight around the platforms. Which is probably why we always play either Temple or Final Destination...

I am sure a fighting game could work with the Wii-mote. But taking the risk of bad controls on a game like Super Smash Brothers is a bad idea.

Just a slightly off-topic question. I have a DSL connectrion. I plan to have a Wii by the time SSBB is released. My question is: Will my DSL connection be fast enough to play SSBB online with no lag? Verizon says it's 786Kbps, but I know it never reaches that speed. But I did watch the Live E3 Feed at 300Kbps with no problems so I'm wondering if SSBB would be okay on my connection.

Just a slightly off-topic question. I have a DSL connectrion. I plan to have a Wii by the time SSBB is released. My question is: Will my DSL connection be fast enough to play SSBB online with no lag? Verizon says it's 786Kbps, but I know it never reaches that speed. But I did watch the Live E3 Feed at 300Kbps with no problems so I'm wondering if SSBB would be okay on my connection.

Y'know, I've wondered that myself. Typically, the online market consists of primarily shooters, racing games and the like, games in which timing isn't so critical. Smash Bros is so timing-heavy, that I'm wondering if ANY practical connection speed can handle it. Any lag whatsoever, and the game will suck online. We'll have to wait and see...

Y'know, I've wondered that myself. Typically, the online market consists of primarily shooters, racing games and the like, games in which timing isn't so critical. Smash Bros is so timing-heavy, that I'm wondering if ANY practical connection speed can handle it. Any lag whatsoever, and the game will suck online. We'll have to wait and see...

As far as shooters go, I'd say timing is fairly important especially if you're doing something like sniping.

There really shouldn't be a problem with Smash Bros online. It'll be just like any other game online, if you can find a good server, you'll find a good game. If you find a crap lag server, you'll find a crap game. That's my experience with fighters online DOA4 is a game where (depending if you can counter or not) timing can be critical as well, but it doesn't seem to be too big of a deal. If anything lag tends to give you a defensive advantage if everyone is lagging at the same rate, you get a little more reaction time if you see things coming.

I'm eager to use Wario's atomic fart attack near a pile of bob-ombs.

Is it just me or was that kind of a rip-off of that scene in Beavis & Butt-Head Do America? 'Cause if I recall it even goes to a scenery shot and you see a giant mushroom cloud...

Maybe I'm just imagining things.

As far as shooters go, I'd say timing is fairly important especially if you're doing something like sniping.

There really shouldn't be a problem with Smash Bros online. It'll be just like any other game online, if you can find a good server, you'll find a good game. If you find a crap lag server, you'll find a crap game. That's my experience with fighters online DOA4 is a game where (depending if you can counter or not) timing can be critical as well, but it doesn't seem to be too big of a deal. If anything lag tends to give you a defensive advantage if everyone is lagging at the same rate, you get a little more reaction time if you see things coming.

But will my connection be okay? Is 300Kbps fast enough for online gaming?

Anyway, I'm so excited about the new SSB I made a new wallpaper for my desktop!

Smash-Bros-Desktop.jpg

786? Don't you mean 768?

Anyway... 768Kbps translates to 768/8=96.

If you're able to reach ~96kB/s or somewhere below that, then you're certainly making full use of your connection.

How well you will be able to play depends on how much bandwidth a regular game of Smash will actually need, where the players you're playing with are located, and how stable your internet connection is.

Top of this page:
I don't notice any tiers. I can beat the snot out of anyone with anybody on any stage. There's no tiers. :)

Does that answer your question?

Ahahaha. Fair enough.

Tiers exist. Ask any tournament players like Ken and he'll tell you the same thing.

Smash Related Story:

I was working last night as campus security and I meander into a dorm lounge where people were playing Smash Melee. I play with them a little and do a 1v1 with one of the guys. A friend of his was there watching and he was telling him what to do to beat me. He had a super arrogant attitude. He was saying how he could counter everything I did with Falco because of my "bad combos" which is a sweet mix up of short-hop fast fall lasering while moving across the stage at dashing speeds with drill kick/down+B shine combos and all that wavedashing fakeout stuff. He took his friend's controller after a match saying "Here, I'll play you" thinking he was so much better than me.

We play a 5-stock match. I win with 4 remaining lives. :lol:

Deflating Egos