Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Edit: Just played with TheLeviathan. Fun times. He loves my Falco and Ice Climbers lol :)

Hey now, I won a game or two when you weren't one of your better characters (*cough* bowser and link). Ahem excuse me. :wink:

As for the screenshot, It would be kinda fun if there was an actual mode for that with all the retro sprites.

Or perhaps revamped sprites, such that the original sprite look is there, but the styles match up.

I second this motion.

Only make it 32-bit sprites, not 8-bit; otherwise it will be a little difficult to tell who is who.

Edit: Just played with TheLeviathan. Fun times. He loves my Falco and Ice Climbers lol :)

Hey now, I won a game or two when you weren't one of your better characters (*cough* bowser and link). Ahem excuse me. :wink:

As for the screenshot, It would be kinda fun if there was an actual mode for that with all the retro sprites.

Or perhaps revamped sprites, such that the original sprite look is there, but the styles match up.

I second this motion.

Only make it 32-bit sprites, not 8-bit; otherwise it will be a little difficult to tell who is who.

I am in favor of 16-bit sprites. The SNES's graphics always had this certain, almost surreal feel to them that I still love even now. My brother always comments "ugh, what bad graphics"; but I feel that the SNES has good graphics, while 2D. I am one of those people who believes that the Gameboy line should always remain 2D, because that is a style that nothing else can quite capture.

I don't know what 32-bit sprites were used on, so I cannot comment on that.

I second this motion.

I am in favor of 16-bit sprites. The SNES's graphics always had this certain, almost surreal feel to them that I still love even now. My brother always comments "ugh, what bad graphics"; but I feel that the SNES has good graphics, while 2D. I am one of those people who believes that the Gameboy line should always remain 2D, because that is a style that nothing else can quite capture.

I agree. 32 bits sprites don't have the same feel as 16 bit sprites do. 8 bits are too simple, and 32 bits just look plastic and fake. 16 bit is perfect.

I second this motion.

I agree. 32 bits sprites don't have the same feel as 16 bit sprites do. 8 bits are too simple, and 32 bits just look plastic and fake. 16 bit is perfect.

I can just see them making a 16-bit SSB for GBA. I'd play it.

Ashnard from Fire Emblem seems to be a SSBB character.

The Nintendo fanbase never ceases to amaze me. 8O

Then again, it could just be a new Fire Emblem stage. :P

Taken from Super Smash Brothers Arena:

While this stage appears to be from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (with the Daein's crest), it is not for at least two reasons: 1) the flags are not similar at all (except in color), and 2) Daein is located near snowlands whilst this stage appears to have a more temperate climate. However, it is possible that this stage is from a Fire Emblem game...just not Path of Radiance.

Thanks to Vincent and Fryguy64 for clearing some of the confusion.

I'd like to point out that I made BOTH of those observations as soon as the rumors started going out.

Smashbros.com has been updated with Snake's profile.

It's confirmed that he will, mainly use explosives.

I'm really stoked to see what Pit can do but this seems interesting as well.

Also:

Ashnard from Fire Emblem seems to be a SSBB character.

The Nintendo fanbase never ceases to amaze me. 8O

Then again, it could just be a new Fire Emblem stage. :P

Taken from Super Smash Brothers Arena:

While this stage appears to be from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (with the Daein's crest), it is not for at least two reasons: 1) the flags are not similar at all (except in color), and 2) Daein is located near snowlands whilst this stage appears to have a more temperate climate. However, it is possible that this stage is from a Fire Emblem game...just not Path of Radiance.

Thanks to Vincent and Fryguy64 for clearing some of the confusion.

I'd like to point out that I made BOTH of those observations as soon as the rumors started going out.

The symbol on the flags is closer to the symbol in the FE game Marth is from.

My guess is that they remade the stage he was meant to have in Melee.

It makes sense to me because Marth is a fan favorite

and he did have a stage in melee, it just didn't make it to the final version.

Looking around... it's how I found a list of Masahiro Sakurai's considerations for SSBB (as of May 28th):

As you can tell, I had to do some translation; though because I don't know Japanese, I'm not exactly sure about what it says.

Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)

Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)

Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)

Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)

Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)

Ridley (Metroid - 1986)

Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)

Ninten (Mother - 1989)

Jeff (Mother 2/"Earthbound" in the U.S. - 1994/1995)

Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lololo and Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)

King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)

Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)

Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)

Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)

The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)

Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)

Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)

Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)

Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)

Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)

Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)

Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)

Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)

Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)

#111: "Cat-Eye Link" from "ゼルダシリーズ" - "zerudashirizu" (the Zelda Series), according to the submitter.

#145: "ゼヒ新鬼" - "zehi shin oni" ("zehi" new ogre?); the submitter mentions an island, and the SFC (SNES for us Americans) version of this character.

#147: Some kind of music submission. Very hard to translate.

#149: I don't know why this was put on the list, it's just praising Masahiro Sakurai.

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)

G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)

Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)

Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin (Konami) (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2004)

Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)

Sora (Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts - 2002)

Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)

Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)

For those who still feel like submitting, Masahiro Sakurai will only be accepting submissions until June 9th at 5:00 pm Japan time.

Looking around... it's how I found a list of Masahiro Sakurai's considerations for SSBB (as of May 28th):

As you can tell, I had to do some translation; though because I don't know Japanese, I'm not exactly sure about what it says.

Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)

Ridley (Metroid - 1986)

Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)

Ninten (Mother - 1989)

Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

#111: "Cat-Eye Link" from "ゼルダシリーズ" - "zerudashirizu" (the Zelda Series), according to the submitter.

#145: "ゼヒ新鬼" - "zehi shin oni" ("zehi" new ogre?); the submitter mentions an island, and the SFC (SNES for us Americans) version of this character.

#149: I don't know why this was put on the list, it's just praising Masahiro Sakurai.

Third Party Suggestions

Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin (Konami) (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2004)

Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)

For those who still feel like submitting, Masahiro Sakurai will only be accepting submissions until June 9th at 5:00 pm Japan time.

Cool. I'd like to have Volgin, simon and megaman in there. Not sure about Kalas...

Ike woulden't be bad, but I'd prefer Ephraim.

Also:

http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/chara5/index.html

Probably a Metal Gear Solid stage. This seems to be Snake's walk, and the tap run would be Snake's regular run. :D

Important question:

If I never ever teach myself to use the R button, will I get my ass handed to me?

I can't beat the game on hard without using a continue, either.

You mean the shield right? If so, yeah, the shield is pretty important. The R button also allows you to do dodges. You should try fighting low level CPUs and work your way up to the highest ones, and multiple opponents.

Important question:

If I never ever teach myself to use the R button, will I get my ass handed to me?

You mean the shield right? If so, yeah, the shield is pretty important. The R button also allows you to do dodges. You should try fighting low level CPUs and work your way up to the highest ones, and multiple opponents.

I can beat a single level 9 opponent 99% of the time. I get KO'd a few times, yes, but that's mostly because I turn off all the items. I can come out on top when facing three level 7 opponents in melee, but above that is pretty difficult. I just never ever ever block or dodge, and I want to figure it out.

Important question:

I can beat a single level 9 opponent 99% of the time. I get KO'd a few times, yes, but that's mostly because I turn off all the items. I can come out on top when facing three level 7 opponents in melee, but above that is pretty difficult. I just never ever ever block or dodge, and I want to figure it out.

Well, since the Wii wil probably feature online play, you should get used to the melee controls a lot. Keep blocking on your mind while playing and use it a lot. You'll soon figure out when to use it and when not to. It'll grow on you, and you'll find yourself blocking at the moments you consider crucial.

As for dodging, it's not necessary, but it opens a new set of combos for you. Useful when avoiding a grab. Roll behind your opponent and grab him yourself, slam him into the ground and combo into it.

If you keep remembering yourself to use blocking and dodging, you'll find yourself instinctivly using it, as you incorporate it into your gameplay. Add a bit of timed jumps and air dodges and your a master of evasion.

Oh, and I really hope they can take wavedashing out of Brawl. It'd ruin the online play... OMG SNAKING!

Important question:

Mastering the block and dodge are key. If you don't block or dodge, you can't avoid getting pummeled and have to constantly be on the offensive to avoid damage. It becomes almost natural to block or dodge eventually. I can beat three level 9 opponents with a challenge, but human opponents, obviously, are less predictable and therefore more challenging.

Ridley (Metroid - 1986)

Ninten (Mother - 1989)

Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

Third Party Suggestions

This is probably just the Square-Enix fan in me talking, but I'd like to see Sora make it into SSBB.

Ridley (Metroid - 1986)

Ninten (Mother - 1989)

Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

Third Party Suggestions

This is probably just the Square-Enix fan in me talking, but I'd like to see Sora make it into SSBB.

That would mean even more "Link vs Sora" threads over at Gamefags.

Oh, and I really hope they can take wavedashing out of Brawl. It'd ruin the online play... OMG SNAKING!

Seriously? I hope they leave it in. Sure, it has its abuses, but it's also the only thing that makes some characters competitive (Luigi, Ice Climbers, etc.). But then again, with the unavoidable lag that the game will have online, maybe wavedashing might not be possible, or it'll be extremely difficult. That's one of the reasons why I'm not really excited to see Smash Bros. go online.