Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Looking around... it's how I found a list of Masahiro Sakurai's considerations for SSBB (as of May 28th):

As you can tell, I had to do some translation; though because I don't know Japanese, I'm not exactly sure about what it says.

Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)

Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)

Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)

Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)

Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)

Ridley (Metroid - 1986)

Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)

Ninten (Mother - 1989)

Jeff (Mother 2/"Earthbound" in the U.S. - 1994/1995)

Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)

Lololo and Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)

King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)

Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)

Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)

Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)

The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)

Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)

Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)

Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)

Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)

Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)

Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)

Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)

Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)

Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)

#111: "Cat-Eye Link" from "ゼルダシリーズ" - "zerudashirizu" (the Zelda Series), according to the submitter.

#145: "ゼヒ新鬼" - "zehi shin oni" ("zehi" new ogre?); the submitter mentions an island, and the SFC (SNES for us Americans) version of this character.

#147: Some kind of music submission. Very hard to translate.

#149: I don't know why this was put on the list, it's just praising Masahiro Sakurai.

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)

G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)

Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)

Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin (Konami) (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2004)

Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)

Sora (Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts - 2002)

Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)

Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)

For those who still feel like submitting, Masahiro Sakurai will only be accepting submissions until June 9th at 5:00 pm Japan time.

This is probably just the Square-Enix fan in me talking, but I'd like to see Sora make it into SSBB.

That would mean even more "Link vs Sora" threads over at Gamefags.

Sora's different special attacks would translate very nicely to SSB's controls, though, at least IMO.

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)

Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)

The former I actually suggested in my broken Babelfish Japanese. The latter, however, I hadn't even thought of, but could prove to be very interesting. Didn't think Jet Force Gemini made that big a splash in Japan (or anywhere else, for that matter). Miyamoto wasn't a fan, anyway.

Oh, and I really hope they can take wavedashing out of Brawl. It'd ruin the online play... OMG SNAKING!

I really hope they take wavedashing out for Brawl as well...especially since it was almost certainly not meant to be used in the first place.

Oh, and I really hope they can take wavedashing out of Brawl. It'd ruin the online play... OMG SNAKING!

I really hope they take wavedashing out for Brawl as well...especially since it was almost certainly not meant to be used in the first place.

Actually, I've heard that the debuggers actually found it and left it in.

I see no real problem with it, to be honest. It's not like some n00b can pick it up and start doing it to ace a veteran, and even after practicing for a while, it still takes a long time to be able to do effectively.

I see no real problem with it, to be honest. It's not like some n00b can pick it up and start doing it to ace a veteran, and even after practicing for a while, it still takes a long time to be able to do effectively.

What, pray tell, is this "wavedashing"?

I think it's when you air dodge towards the ground so that you hit it mid-dodge. It makes you character shift in the direction that you were dodging. I guess it's good to follow it up with...something. I never really used it. But then again, I'm not good enough to play in a real tournament.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/516492.html

Ctrl+F "Advanced Techniques". It's all in there - what it is, who's best at it, how to do it, et cetera.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/516492.html

Ctrl+F "Advanced Techniques". It's all in there - what it is, who's best at it, how to do it, et cetera.

I never found wavedashing to be that useful, actually. You could be the best wavedasher in the world and not do shit against a player who can combo.

That kills off any chance of Sora, Cloud, or any post-FF6 character from SE (Not that I expected that to happen.). However, that still leaves the door open for a lot of other major third party characters (Sonic, Rayman, etc.) Besides, I have other character fantasies... *looks at FF6 cardridge religously*

That kills off any chance of Sora, Cloud, or any post-FF6 character from SE (Not that I expected that to happen.). However, that still leaves the door open for a lot of other major third party characters (Sonic, Rayman, etc.) Besides, I have other character fantasies... *looks at FF6 cardridge religously*

I don't understand... how does that kill off their chances? (FF7-12 I get, but why Sora?)

I don't understand... how does that kill off their chances? (FF7-12 I get, but why Sora?)

Wait... Sora appeared on a GBA game. Nevermind! Now that you mention it... I kinda would like to see Sora. Thanks for the reminder.

As for all the other FFs, like the link said, only characters that've appeared on any Nintendo console.

Wow...I feel like an idiot now.

I'm glad that not all characters will be returning. After all, there are some useless ones that no one really used, such as Pichu and Mr. Game & Watch.

I don't like that they're making the game "easier", though. To me, that translates to "dumbed down", which a lot of series, particularly Nintendo ones, seem to be doing. I'd rather keep it at least somewhat complex, so that it can be more than just a simple party game. I'm all for just having fun, but tournaments and such are good too.

I find the cut to be potentially disheartening. It could be any of our favorite characters. Though I think everyone can agree to give Pichu the boot.

Edit: As for wavedashing... wavedashing doesn't automatically make you good. For some characters, it's completely useless; for others it opens up many different ways of playing. If used correctly, wavedashing opens up different combo setups, counters, escapes, speed changes, mindgames, and edge guarding techniques. It becomes a whole new ball game. For advanced play like in actual hardcore tournaments it's almost a necessity. If you can't see how wavedashing can be helpful, I recommend checking it out to see how potentially deep the rabbit hole goes in Smash.

I'm glad that not all characters will be returning. After all, there are some useless ones that no one really used, such as Pichu and Mr. Game & Watch.

I don't like that they're making the game "easier", though. To me, that translates to "dumbed down", which a lot of series, particularly Nintendo ones, seem to be doing.

200px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

I'm really not too afraid of them dumbing down the game, seeing as Nintendo probably doesn't want to totally screw up one of their top-selling franchises. Just wait and see.

What if they made more characters that can transform like Zelda (this would make less clone characters)? Young Link could turn into Fierce Diety Link or one of the many other masks.

Another duo like the Ice Climbers could be made (Diddy and Dixie Kong immediately come to mind).

They could also give the clone characters different movesets, like having Fox fight like he did in Starfox Adventures, and Falco could keep his current moves.

Just a few ideas to throw out there into the giant SSBB speculation storm.

What if they made more characters that can transform like Zelda (this would make less clone characters)? Young Link could turn into Fierce Diety Link or one of the many other masks.

That's what they're doing with Zero Suit Samus, or at least what they've hinted at. It would be awesome, if not COMPLETELY imbalanced, if Ganondorf could turn into Ganon. Maybe for the special upgrade item.

Another duo like the Ice Climbers could be made (Diddy and Dixie Kong immediately come to mind).

Diddy/Dixie sounds fun to me. I'm kind of afraid because everyone seems to want Diddy Kong, but he'd totally suck as he is.

Also, why all of the hating on Pichu? It makes me sad :(. Pichu is probably my current favorite, though I'm not terribly good with him. I actually think he is better than Pikachu, but that's just me.

Pichu is just weird. It even hurts itself when it attacks. I never really liked it, and I think Pikachu is exactly the same, not very much difference at all other than the damage, and not making people fly with the down B move.

Diddy/Dixie sounds fun to me. I'm kind of afraid because everyone seems to want Diddy Kong, but he'd totally suck as he is.

He could always have moves or items from previous Kong games such as a gun, a jetpack, and his guitar (hey, its not too weird considering they're adding a farting attack for Wario).

Also, why all of the hating on Pichu? It makes me sad :(. Pichu is probably my current favorite, though I'm not terribly good with him. I actually think he is better than Pikachu, but that's just me.

I like Pichu more than Pikachu as well. He doesn't really hurt himself that much, and he is a lot more powerful than Pikachu.

I personally prefer Pikachu to Pichu, but there is a way to stop Pichu from damaging himself during his B-Down move. As for characters being removed, my vote goes for Game & Watch and Dr. Mario (He can be an alternate costume or something).