Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Not Simon, Trevor would be better, since well, I like Trevor. Anywho, the major reason that I figured that Snake is allowed to be in there, since well, Snake did start out on the Famicom/NES. So it makes some sense of why he would be back for more. Though I'm surprised, Snake with no guns? I guess we'll just leave it up to them for this one.

Wrong. Snake started out on the MSX.

If they put any Castlevania characters in Brawl, it should either be the naked lesbian succubus or Soma f'in Cruz.

Put that pussy Link in his place.

Other than that I don't really have any suggestions for the game other than make it online (which it probably will be) and to fix certain characters' use of the home-run bat. IT'S NOT A FRIGGING SWORD, DON'T STAB WITH IT.

Other than that I don't really have any suggestions for the game other than make it online (which it probably will be) and to fix certain characters' use of the home-run bat. IT'S NOT A FRIGGING SWORD, DON'T STAB WITH IT.

Haha, It took me a while to figure out why C. Falcon would never streak with the bat until I realized that the streak only happened if you continued to hold the A button, making him pull the bat back and streaking the character.

I have always loved Sheik's streak the best, just knock the character straight up.

So after playing a few Super Sudden Death matches I started thinking of new bonuses that could be earned in Brawl:

Bunker Buster: Broke an enemy's shield with an explosive (8000 points)

Drill Bit: Caused 100% or more damage with the Screw Attack (5000 points)

Clumsy KO: KO'd an enemy by dropping an item onto them (10000 points)

Pokemon Thief: Caught a pokeball thrown at you (1000 points)

...this is just a start but if anyone has anything to add to the list that they think should be bonuses go right ahead :D

I'm already good and stoked about this game. Not really caring who else gets in (but I'd love to see Ridley from the Nintendo side), but, I have just one thing to say.

If Konami gets anybody else in, it's probably not going to be another Metal Gear character. Like some of you say, I'm expecting a Castlevania presense if this happens. And if this happens, I'd be rooting for Sonia Belmont, Nathan Graves, or the one-and-only Alucard. And I'd want Sonia because, let's face it, we need another chick that can kick ass.

Namco getting in will probably get us some Tales action going on, and I'm seeing either Lloyd or Zelos, if this occurs.

No comment on Capcom or Sega. Or any of the others. Yet.

Zelos

YES

Zelos gets knocked so much in favor of Kratos. But I actually liked Zelos more than Kratos, and his affection storyline and events are much more interesting.

But if it's anyone, it'll probably be Lloyd. Or Cress from Phantasia.

Zelos

YES

Zelos gets knocked so much in favor of Kratos. But I actually liked Zelos more than Kratos, and his affection storyline and events are much more interesting.

d2_zelos1.jpg

Zelos

YES

NO

I don't care about his storyline or any of that, Zelos was ANNOYING. Besides the fact that it is unlikely to see ANY character from ToS in SSBB, I would think the two most likely candidates would be Lloyd and Colette (and yes, I do believe that Colette would be an interesting character). Though Presea would be a fun character, too.

Well, to each his own. I, for one, found characters like Zelos, Sheena, and Raine to be much more interesting than the main characters like Lloyd, Kratos, Genis, and Colette. But that's my opinion. I also liked Irvine from FFVIII and Zidane from FFIX. I seem to be in the minority when it comes to liking those kind of characters.

I'm a little surprised that no one else has suggested Cress from ToP, though.

Of course, you're right; it's unlikely any Tales character will be in the game. So all of this is probably pointless speculation anyway. :P

...and to fix certain characters' use of the home-run bat. IT'S NOT A FRIGGING SWORD, DON'T STAB WITH IT.

A bat or club actually works better in a jabbing motion if used in a fight, since it is way more time-consuming and way less acccurate to swing. :)

Anyway...Lloyd would be pretty cool. But if from Namco, Kalas would be cool to see too (I know speculation of him being in the game has been brought up before). Just outta curiousity, how many people here played Tales of Symphonia compared to Baten Kaitos? It seems like either more people played ToS, or people just didn't care for Baten Kaitos :P.

Well, to each his own. I, for one, found characters like Zelos, Sheena, and Raine to be much more interesting than the main characters like Lloyd, Kratos, Genis, and Colette. But that's my opinion. I also liked Irvine from FFVIII and Zidane from FFIX. I seem to be in the minority when it comes to liking those kind of characters.

Of course, you're right; it's unlikely any Tales character will be in the game. So all of this is probably pointless speculation anyway. :P

I'm not saying that Zelos' story isn't interesting, or that he doesn't add to the game. I simply found his manerisms, outfit, habits, etc. extremely annoying. Also his voice, but most characters in that game had annoying voices.

I haven't yet had the pleasure to play Phantasia. Was it as good as Symphonia?

I'm not saying that Zelos' story isn't interesting, or that he doesn't add to the game. I simply found his manerisms, outfit, habits, etc. extremely annoying. Also his voice, but most characters in that game had annoying voices.

I haven't yet had the pleasure to play Phantasia. Was it as good as Symphonia?

Let me put it to you this way... both games take place in the same "world" so to speak. In that sense, if you're big on story and character developement, then they're similar. Battle-wise, they're nothing alike. And granted, we're talking about comparing a SNES/GBA/PSOne game to a GCN game, so there's the technical/space issue.

Phantasia is an old game, and it plays like an old game - there's no getting around that. It's still one of the better RPGs of it's day.

...anyway. If any Tales character shows up, it'd almost have to be from either Phantasia or Symphonia. Tempest won't be out yet, and the others never graced a Nintendo system. That said, yes, the main characters (ie. Lloyd, Cress) would be most likely. Lloyd even weilds dual swords, kinda like Pit.

Still... Symphonia's character developement was so good (for a game) that I'd say any of those 8 characters would fit superbly. I've beat the game a total of 5 times, and remember, this is about a 60-100 hour game. Personally, it'd be near impossible to say any of them would be clearly "better" in Smash. Presea (huge ax), Colette (chakram), Lloyd (dual sword) and Regal (kicks/kamehameha) all represent fighting styles that are otherwise abscent in Smash, so I'd say, from a gameplay standpoint they'd add the most to the experience.

Even I think Zelos is the best character in TOS, but with all the swords being swung already, he'd just get crowded out. At least Lloyd dual wields swords. That presents something a little different.

I was about to say that it would be hard to include Lloyd because his two swords would make wielding a beam sword pointless or awkward, and then I realized: what is Pit gonna do with a beam sword?

And I never thought I'd hear myself say this... but please, no more swordsmen in Smash Bros.

Now lancers, on the other hand... I'm rooting for Kain Highwind.

Zelos

YES

d2_zelos1.jpg

I'll tell you right now, that picture made my day, and I've only been awake five minutes.

Listen, all this speculation is nice, and I couldn't agree more on how pleasant these concepts are. But even still.

When ToS was released in Japan, it was a pretty big deal. There was even a specialized gamecube released alongside of the game. Though my point seems to contradict itself when you consider that a PS2 version was released later on over there.

If the chances of Nintendo going to a third party depend on the weight of their collaboration, this idea might actually stand a chance. The same could be said of Capcom too, considering how they've worked on a few Zelda games. Otherwise, I'm not even sure if any of the execs have been alerted specifically to this possibility. It may even be that we feel an attachment to this game that the Japanese don't overall.

In the end it only matters how they feel, since they're the one's creating the game over there. We only (almost always) get nothing more than a translated copy of what they end up with. It's just the bare bones of the truth. Why do you think that their Japanese SSBB site ended up with a "send in character ideas poll" that wasn't present on any other site?

Zelos

YES

d2_zelos1.jpg

I'll tell you right now, that picture made my day, and I've only been awake five minutes.

Listen, all this speculation is nice, and I couldn't agree more on how pleasant these concepts are. But even still.

When ToS was released in Japan, it was a pretty big deal. There was even a specialized gamecube released alongside of the game. Though my point seems to contradict itself when you consider that a PS2 version was released later on over there.

If the chances of Nintendo going to a third party depend on the weight of their collaboration, this idea might actually stand a chance. The same could be said of Capcom too, considering how they've worked on a few Zelda games. Otherwise, I'm not even sure if any of the execs have been alerted specifically to this possibility. It may even be that we feel an attachment to this game that the Japanese don't overall.

In the end it only matters how they feel, since they're the one's creating the game over there. We only (almost always) get nothing more than a translated copy of what they end up with. It's just the bare bones of the truth. Why do you think that their Japanese SSBB site ended up with a "send in character ideas poll" that wasn't present on any other site?

:D

Most likely, they'll put in another MGS character for event purposes with Snake, and add a Castlevania one. And that'll be it for third party. I could go off speculating like hell on how they'd add Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft, but it most likely won't happen, so I just keep expectations low.

All I'm really hoping from this game is an expansion pack of Melee, with more maps, characters and items and the added online. Nothing much, Melee can't really evolve anymore.

Most likely, they'll put in another MGS character for event purposes with Snake, and add a Castlevania one. And that'll be it for third party. I could go off speculating like hell on how they'd add Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft, but it most likely won't happen, so I just keep expectations low.

All I'm really hoping from this game is an expansion pack of Melee, with more maps, characters and items and the added online. Nothing much, Melee can't really evolve anymore.

I hope not.

I am really looking forward to SSBB, and although I agree that SSBM was quite near the pinnacle of evolution, I want to see something that DYNAMICALLY sets SSBB apart.

I hope not.

I am really looking forward to SSBB, and although I agree that SSBM was quite near the pinnacle of evolution, I want to see something that DYNAMICALLY sets SSBB apart.

IMO, if they completely overhaul it, it'll just end up worst. And by the looks of it, they're trying to make it simpler, slower and easier.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I think it would be too much of a risk to try to change things up too much. Why fix what's not broken?

Which is funny, because that kind of mentality is exactly what Nintendo is opposing with the Wii. Still, though, I say let the others games be "revolutionary". Don't screw around with SSB.

IMO, if they completely overhaul it, it'll just end up worst. And by the looks of it, they're trying to make it simpler, slower and easier.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I think it would be too much of a risk to try to change things up too much. Why fix what's not broken?

Which is funny, because that kind of mentality is exactly what Nintendo is opposing with the Wii. Still, though, I say let the others games be "revolutionary". Don't screw around with SSB.

Firstly, I agree in concept, but look at the changes between SSB and SSBM: a lot of cosmetic upgrades (duh, better graphics card), more characters, items, & stages, but also a lot of new ways to play - 3 different 1-player modes, event matches, multi-man melee, home-run derby, trophies, and all the special melee modes. IMO, THAT was part of what made SSBM so great; that, and also if you had played SSB, it was kind of like Othello ("A minute to learn, a lifetime to master") in that, you could pick up a controller and just start playing with ease, but it still took forever to get really good at it.

I'm not saying reinvent the game here; I want to be able to plug in my Gamecube controller and start playing well with my best character as soon as I get the game. On the other hand though, I'm not buying SSB for my N64 because I have SSBM; I want SSBB to make SSBM obsolete like that.

Firstly, I agree in concept, but look at the changes between SSB and SSBM: a lot of cosmetic upgrades (duh, better graphics card), more characters, items, & stages, but also a lot of new ways to play - 3 different 1-player modes, event matches, multi-man melee, home-run derby, trophies, and all the special melee modes. IMO, THAT was part of what made SSBM so great; that, and also if you had played SSB, it was kind of like Othello ("A minute to learn, a lifetime to master") in that, you could pick up a controller and just start playing with ease, but it still took forever to get really good at it.

I'm not saying reinvent the game here; I want to be able to plug in my Gamecube controller and start playing well with my best character as soon as I get the game. On the other hand though, I'm not buying SSB for my N64 because I have SSBM; I want SSBB to make SSBM obsolete like that.

But the differences between Melee and the original aren't that big. While they added another B move and more modes, they didn't change the original concept by making it more air based, easier or slower. Melee is, in a way, and expansion of the original. And, in the same way, I want Brawl to be an expansion of Melee. Add more gameplay modes, more characters, stages and items. Add online and more customizable options. But don't make it easier or simpler. Leave the core gameplay, like Melee did with the original, and build on it.

But the differences between Melee and the original aren't that big. While they added another B move and more modes, they didn't change the original concept by making it more air based, easier or slower. Melee is, in a way, and expansion of the original. And, in the same way, I want Brawl to be an expansion of Melee. Add more gameplay modes, more characters, stages and items. Add online and more customizable options. But don't make it easier or simpler. Leave the core gameplay, like Melee did with the original, and build on it.

Ok... I suppose I concede then. While I would like the camera to FULLY rotate around the characters, I suppose that there's not really anything else I'd like to see concept-wise.