Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

All of the clone characters with similar themes could be combined as that only affects tournament play, which is a small minority of buyers. Plus, the game will be overhauled in Brawl, forcing tournament players to relearn it anyway, so Dr.Mario and Mario could be combined, as could Picachu and Pichu, Link and Young Link, Marth and Roy, and, to a certain extent, Fox and Falco. Only Ganondorf and Cpt.Falcon, being from two different games, would have a hard time being combined.

Oh hell no, The clones, although fighting styles were somewhat similar, (except for [Dr.] Mario) all had to change their playing style a LOT to make up for differences in gameplay.

Roy is so much slower than Marth that his smash forward running slash becomes practically useless. His Down-A arial is also practically useless, so no spiking for Roy. However, he's much better at edge-guarding due to his flare blade, which easily could mean the difference between a win and a loss. Roy is also much better at accumulating damage because his opponents don't go flying too far with most of his attacks.

Ganondorf and Captain Falcon... if you don't see the dissimilarities, it's pointless to be reading this.

Link and Young link - Link has much stronger sword attacks and his boomerang is a nice punch to send the enemy flying. Young Link has better bombs and arrows though, making him a little better at slow, medium ranged combat. His boomerang also has a much wider attack range, so it's better for close range than Link's.

Pikachu and Pichu are another great example of this. Pichu's a forward smash is ridiculously short ranged, also causing ridiculous damage. Pichu's is more similar to Mario's smash, a long range (for a melee attack) burst of electricity. Pikachu is much heavier and overall has better range, but lacks Pichu's damaging ability. Pikachu tends to be better at flying ninja attacks than Pichu because of this - He slightly outranges his enemy and hits first.

So as you can see, clone characters ARE clones, but not close enough to force the same playing style on both clones. With the exception of (Dr.) Mario, clones ARE like identical twins, they appear the same at first glance (or second... or third...), but differences can be found if they are looked for.

Keep an open mind and this kind of game is extremely strategic. Just ask Smasha about it (If he's still around anyway).

You didn't get me. I didn't say they didn't have completly different fighting styles, but, from they flavour itself, the characters could be removed and be incorporated into their original forms as costumes. These costumes would retain the original abilities of the clones.

So while the clones have an adimitidally different fighting style, this is not important enough to guarantee their presence in SSBB.

So while the attacks are different, this won't really matter in Brawl since the mechanics will be redone anyway.

kinda off topic but any one ever run out of time in the stage where you collect trophies? in ssbm

That'd be crazy to run outta time on that. Admittedly I'm not good at that stage (I get an average of 3 trophies), but I couldn't imagine using the time limit juggling those trophies without missing any :P.

It bugs me when people say to combine the clones into one character. :P

Using the logic they usually give, Ryu and Ken from SF should be combined into one. :lol:

If the purpose was to streamline the game, then yes, they could be combined into one character slot, and when you pressed a button, they'd change to the other, each with their individual techniques.

Or an even better idea: you put them on a page with an icon representing them, and by using the joystick, you select your character. You could even make it so that you have many characters on one sheet.

Not a bad idea. Except...

If the purpose was to streamline the game, then yes, they could be combined into one character slot...

Again, why have Dr.Mario and Mario when you could just select Mario, press Y and there's Dr.Mario, with all the pros and cons.

"So, is Marth a Roy clone, or a Link clone again?"

And don't forget random selection.

Roy would be the clone from Marth. But this is meaningless, it would only matter if the game was being developed for the DS where they'd have limited space. With the Wii disks being able to store more info, there's no need to streamline the character seleccion menu.

I don't like cluttered menus though :?

Using the logic they usually give, Ryu and Ken from SF should be combined into one. :lol:

not to mention sakura.

:P

but yeah, the subtle differences are kinda a big deal.

especially with marth and roy.

You called? :lol: Oddly enough though, no, that's not where my name originated from. Though I agree, cool character. If they have Snake using explosives in SSBB, I don't see why Mouser couldn't be in there as well. That's certainly something I wouldn't mind seeing. Though, chances are that I'd never play as him. I'd end up blowing myself up too often. I already blow myself up when I'm playing Link. I have often pulled a bomb out by accident, and not realized it until it was to late... That should make it obvious that I don't play SSBM for tournament play. I play for fun (most of the time). Mouser X out.

Yeah, it's just a hopeless dream. I've been wanting Mario 2 characters forever. I'd shit my pants if I saw Mouser, Wart, or any or Mario 2 character as a playable character in Smash Brothers. Hell, I'd be happy with Shyguy (but we know that Mouser is da man). But, yeah, definitely won't see mouser. I've never seen him use anything but bombs anyway, but I just can't get over a rodent who wears Nascar sunglasses.

They were once... it was in the first Marvel Vs. Capcom. It angered me.

And I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Mouser, Birdo, or Wart.

Haven't you ever played Marvel vs. Capcom? Ryu and Ken are the same character. You use a super bar to switch between them. :lol:

Just checked engadget.com, it lists a possible rumour that Ubisoft characters could possibly in the mix.

The Characters in the article possible,

Jade (!)-Beyond Good and Evil

Sam Fisher-Splinter Cell

Rayman-needs no intro.

The Prince-Prince of Persia

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2006/06/19/rumor-ubisoft-character-making-super-smash-bros-brawl-roster/

The thought of playing as Jade in a new game is too good for me. Maybe Ancel will finish the games supposed trilogy... here's to blind hope.

The idea of combineing "clone" characters annoys me. Who cares about "streamlineing" the fun thing about smash is the variety of characters you can use, and it kind of takes away from that to just make them into a costume. Also the fact that each of the clones DO have different movesets and playstyles.

While we're saying combine all the clone characters would you then suggest to make luigi nothing more than a costume for mario? They are essentualy "clones" of one another, but I think alot of people would be very unhappy if mario and luigi were just the difference of costumes.

The idea of combineing "clone" characters annoys me. Who cares about "streamlineing" the fun thing about smash is the variety of characters you can use, and it kind of takes away from that to just make them into a costume. Also the fact that each of the clones DO have different movesets and playstyles.

While we're saying combine all the clone characters would you then suggest to make luigi nothing more than a costume for mario? They are essentualy "clones" of one another, but I think alot of people would be very unhappy if mario and luigi were just the difference of costumes.

The discussion is over. If Nintendo would streamline it, characters would be combined. If they don't, they won't. Simple as that.

Soul Calibur III did it and I loved it. Custom characters are really only about 45 or so movesets (with about 7 for each character type) so the only true difference IS their costume. Still is damn fun.

EDIT- I take back this post. After realizing that the Great Sword, Nightmare, and Siegfreid are all clones of each other with subtle changes in the moves. Same goes for other disciplines as well. Sorry.

SC3 still kicks ass tho.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just bumping this so it doesn't... die or anything. Without new SSBB news, the topic's grown pretty stale. Still, let's try to keep this thread around until the actual launch of the game, so we can look back on our days of not knowing anything about Brawl with a tear in our eyes.

So, uh, share the usual Super Smash Bros. experiences here. Stories, gameplay modes, funny anecdotes or surprising achievements or how to hit the homerun bag just right with the one character.

Just so you guys know, the news about Baby Bowser, Ridley and WW Link being in was fake, which also means that Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers and Young Link are not necessarily out. We don't know anything about any potential characters except those that were announced in the trailer.

I went to a tournament a couple of weeks ago. There were a few well-known smashers there (PC Chris, UnknownForce, Krazy Jones and Korean DJ), and overall it was alot of fun.I didn't play nearly as well as I would have liked to. In fact, I went two and out (the tourney was double elimination). I played as Roy most of the time, and I only won one match when I switched to Jigglypuff (the victory came against a Falco on Final Destination). Basically, I choked. The first match I lost was against a person who's handle was V (my handle was Jam Stunna). I'd faced him in the tourney before this one, and beat him, when he used Fox and I had Roy. So this time was a rematch, and he beat me soundly. I didn't N-air a single time when I faced him this time, and I paid the price. Next, I faced a player named shmenkledorf. His Falco beat my Roy, my Jiggs beat his Falco, and his Marth owned my Jiggs. And that fast, I was out of the tourney. I didn't play the way I practiced, and I didn't stick to my gameplan, so I lost horribly. I'm mostly dissapointed because I did worse at this, my third tourney, than I did in my second one (I had four victories in the losers bracket before getting eliminated by UnknownForce at that one). Oh well, there's always next time.

EDIT- Found the tournament results:

1. PC Chris <333333

2. KoreanDJ111

3. zanguzen

4. Unknownforce

5. Jinx

5. Jsmooth

7. Firecrotch AKA ZoSo AKA Lamez0r the Clown

7. Cort

9. Saver

9. brookman

9. Chris Kennedy "Servaken"