Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I just think its funny how they get so in depth into it and start making "tiers" and crap. I'm alright with a bunch of people and its still fun as a fighting game, or a party game, but I think it's most fun when all items are turned on, and everybody is always scrambling for the pokeball...

Fuck wavedashing and everything else too. My friends and I play it for fun.

Oh crap, GZC, why are we playing this game? We aren't having fun!

But seriously, you play casually, we play competitively. We both have fun. Get over it.

Wavedashing with Luigi FTW! Seriously, do it to your friend who's "too cool for advanced techniques"/ doesn't know wavedashing exists". Funny stuff.

I'll admit, I haven't played Melee in a while now, but I remember when I started trying to learn advanced techniques with characters it really opened up a whole new depth to the game. Sure just playing the game normally is good and fun, but so is being able to do things that at first seemed impossible.

Oh, and the Ice Climbers are badasses. Especially in a competent human's hands

Items are the best part of the game. I hate playing people that go by "official" crap rules. Items on normal, all stages on random, and just PLAY THE GAME.

No pokefloats or Big Blue though.

Why not? I've had some of the best times while jumping crazily between racecars or floats. Smash is a whole lot more fun when you play the entire game.

Items are the best part of the game. I hate playing people that go by "official" crap rules. Items on normal, all stages on random, and just PLAY THE GAME.

No pokefloats or Big Blue though.

Why not? I've had some of the best times while jumping crazily between racecars or floats. Smash is a whole lot more fun when you play the entire game.

Big Blue is the only way I beat people that are really awesome at it. I play as Mario always and whenever I'm there I resort to running and throwing only.

Fuck wavedashing and everything else too. My friends and I play it for fun.

Oh crap, GZC, why are we playing this game? We aren't having fun!

But seriously, you play casually, we play competitively. We both have fun. Get over it.

I wasn't saying that there's no way anyone could play competitively and not have fun.

That is kind of ridiculous.

I just can't take a game serious enough to play it in such a manner, and wouldnt have fun trying.

Ok, let me just say this so we don't get anymore retarded posts:

In the beginning, there was Smash Bros. Everybody played it with items and everything and had fun. But some people took the game more serious than others and actually got competitive. Maybe it was because they liked the game more, maybe it was because they had more free time. But as they got more and more competitive, they found it annoying to have random factors in the game like items. It kind of sucks in a big tournament match when two people who have practiced a lot play against each other and are having a close match, and at the end it is determined by who got more lucky with the items, or an explosive crate dropping on someone's head.

Ask someone who plays Street Fighter or Guilty Gear competitively if they would like their game better if items that could turn the match around appeared randomly. Forget about it. Ask them if they want any luck factor at all. When you play a game competitively and practice a lot, you want your matches to be determined by skill alone.

In short, yes, items are a part of the game.

So is turning them off.

Thank you. :)

I would agree, except instead of normal, put it on very high. I love the items, but I'm alright without the items. I guess I could play both ways, but I enjoy using different people and just playing for fun. Like my friend likes to play really seriously, and I really don't care. He uses Fox and I use Ganon. When we play I win like maybe 2 out of 5 or something with Ganon. When I want to play "seriously" I use Marth, and I'll win like 90 percent of the time, but that's just no fun. Thats why items are great. You have to adjust to the items instead of just fighting.

I do not approve of playing SSBM without items. I do not approve of wavedashing and other fancy tricks and glitches.

But seriously, Melee is one of the few fighters that I think should never be played as competitive. To diminish a game with such a casual and light facade to a series of abusive glitches and cracking the game physics kinda goes against it's purpose. But I guess you can play it however you want. I just find those tiers ridiculous.

Wavedashing is just airdodging into the ground. There's no way the game testers who spent hours upon hours testing out the game's physics couldn't have run into that. L-cancelling was completely intentional, it was in SSB64, and they even taught you how to do it on their website back in the day. Also, for L-cancelling, they would need to specifically code it so that the lag animation frames are chopped in half, because that's what happens. Somewhere in the code they put "if the character is doing an aerial attack, and hits the ground so many frames after pressing L, 50% of the lag animation's frames are gone."

The developers designed it to be a party game and also a true fighting game, for those who look for it. It's perfectly playable at both levels. There's no way they were just designing a party game with no intention of putting depth in, and then when people analyzed every aspect of the game it coincidentially turned into one of he most depthful fighters ever.

Like I said, turning off items is clearly a part of the game, and they put it in for a reason. You can play casual, or comptitive.

Also, the tiers are supposed to give you an idea of how well characters do in tournaments, it's based on how well characters do in today's tournaments. It should mean nothing to casual players.

Ice Climbers

I'm curious as to whether or not I'm the only person here who is good with the ice climbers specifically after forcefully eliminating the cpu controlled one.

I can play with one Ice Climber if I have to, but I find that I'm most effective when I have both of them. The double smash attack and grab combos aren't possible with just one.

Also, Ice Climbers vid featuring Chu Dat:

As for the tier list, I think it's pretty accurate. The tiers aren't necessarily based on which character is the "best", but also on potential, who wins at tourneys, learning curve, etc. There are TONS of Fox and Falco players at tourneys, so it only makes sense for Fox and Falco to be at the top of the tier list. Conversely, I've never seen a Mewtwo player at a tourney, so he's at the bottom. Tiers don't really mean anything, because a good Roy will always beat a bad Fox. They exist to give you an idea about the characters.

And regarding this whole "casual vs. competitive" debate...I go to tournaments as frequently as possible. The items are off, stages are banned and there's a time limit. I play and I have a great time. When I'm playing with my friends, we turn items on, go to Hyrule Temple and play 12-minute matches (wall-tech FTW!). I play and I have a great time. Casual play and competitive play are not mutually exclusive. I'm not sure why so many people have taken this either/or attitude.

I don't think that turning items off makes the game more "competitive." It just makes the game more spontaneous and fun. I've played in local tournaments (and won a few, without items), but I mainly would play because it's just fun to play. Items do give me a slight edge, though, since I always play as Mario and can use his cape a lot more. But I hope when Brawl comes out people that play online aren't so serious about the game.

The ssbm "hardcore" players are a bunch of elitist assholes.

fixed.

Anyway, like others have said, playing competitively and casually are both fun. Especially since competitive play makes you better at the game and allows new opportunities for casual play. Try this:

SUPER SMASH BASEBALL

Stage: Hyrule Temple

Damage Ratio: 0.8

Stock- Infinite

No Time Limit

Items: Bob-omb only on Very High (for humor's sake the Home Bat can be added but its not part of the game)

Okay, the basic gameplay is this: Two teams (for our sake we'll use red and blue) face off in alternating innings on hyrule temple.There are four players on screen. Two red, two blue. In this instance, blue is pitching, red is batting.

Blue pitcher stand on the raised platform on the left side of hyrule temple (the thing just before the little pavillion). Batter stands on the stair case to the right. Two outfeilders (one red, one blue) stand on the opposite side. {itcher throws a Bob-omb at the batter. Batter takes the Bob-omb head on (you can choose to hit it or not, but you cannot catch it, that results in a strike) and the blast sends him flying.

At this point, batter has become the ball. The blue outfeilder will attempt to KO the batter for an out. The red outfeilder must not let that happen. The pitcher may give chase, but he'll be needed later.

Once the batter has regained control (aka he can move again), he must make a dash down the cave, into the pit and up through the shaft back to where he batted from (home base). During this time, the red outfeilder must defend the batter. The pitcher obviously, must guard home base.

There are three bases,the far right side of the stage, the entrance to the cave, and the stone walkway below the temple. If the batter is KO'ed before reaching home, you must remember which base he touched because when he bats again, he cannot be touched (but can be followed) to that base.

If the batter reaches home a point is scored. Once the batter has either scored or been KOed, all players KO (just jump off the edge) and get in position for the next bat. Then the two reds switch roles for the next bat. This continues until three outs. When the inning is over, obviously now blue is batting, and red is pitching.

GOT IT?

smashbaseball.jpg

Terms

Ball- when the pitcher throws the bob-omb in any direction except straight at the batter OR when the pitcher or outfeilders move before the bob-omb explodes. Three balls is an automatic walk to first base.

Strike- when the batter catches the bob-omb OR when the batter dodges the bob-omb. Two strikes is an out.

Out- when the batter is KOed.

Inning-one inning has two halves. each half, one team bats while the other pitches.

Game-one game is nine innings.

Points-are scored when the batter LANDS on home base ON HIS FEET. Technicality is key here. A fallen batter on home does not count and the play is still going. All bases must be touched by a batters feet. Getting thrown past second base does not mean you touched it.

Bob-ombs- the essential part of the game. Used for the pitch as well as their many uses in exterminating a batter >:P

They have good reason to be elitist considering how much better they are at the game. And most of the tactics used in tournament play are not glitch exploits, instead just amazing strings of normal attacks. As for tiers, level restrictions and item restrictions, tournaments need some sort of rules to ensure a level playing field. Items often bring too much randomness to the game (bombs appearing in the path of one's attack) while some levels can create impasse situations.

fixed.

Anyway, like others have said, playing competitively and casually are both fun. Especially since competitive play makes you better at the game and allows new opportunities for casual play. Try this:

SUPER SMASH BASEBALL

Stock- Infinite

No Time Limit

Items: Bob-omb only on Very High (for humor's sake the Home Bat can be added but its not part of the game)

Okay, the basic gameplay is this: Two teams (for our sake we'll use red and blue) face off in alternating innings on hyrule temple.There are four players on screen. Two red, two blue. In this instance, blue is pitching, red is batting.

Blue pitcher stand on the raised platform on the left side of hyrule temple (the thing just before the little pavillion). Batter stands on the stair case to the right. Two outfeilders (one red, one blue) stand on the opposite side. {itcher throws a Bob-omb at the batter. Batter takes the Bob-omb head on (you can choose to hit it or not, but you cannot catch it, that results in a strike) and the blast sends him flying.

At this point, batter has become the ball. The blue outfeilder will attempt to KO the batter for an out. The red outfeilder must not let that happen. The pitcher may give chase, but he'll be needed later.

Once the batter has regained control (aka he can move again), he must make a dash down the cave, into the pit and up through the shaft back to where he batted from (home base). During this time, the red outfeilder must defend the batter. The pitcher obviously, must guard home base.

There are three bases,the far right side of the stage, the entrance to the cave, and the stone walkway below the temple. If the batter is KO'ed before reaching home, you must remember which base he touched because when he bats again, he cannot be touched (but can be followed) to that base.

If the batter reaches home a point is scored. Once the batter has either scored or been KOed, all players KO (just jump off the edge) and get in position for the next bat. Then the two reds switch roles for the next bat. This continues until three outs. When the inning is over, obviously now blue is batting, and red is pitching.

GOT IT?

Haha, I've never done anything like that before, but it sounds like a blast.

Have you guys ever just played giant melee with bunny hats on big blue? With the fast runner, you can actually run for a while on that level with the cars. So when I'm bored with my friend, we just play around with that.

fixed.

SUPER SMASH BASEBALL

Stock- Infinite

No Time Limit

GOT IT?

Haha awesome, someone else got gems like these?

fixed.

Wow. I got called an elitist? I was told that my way of playing the game was anal, and in turn, I said that both ways of playing the game are fun. The reason I'm in here is because I think it's stupid that casual and competitive players can't just respect each other.

I've been saying this whole time that Melee works just fine at BOTH levels, and it was designed to be playable at both. So..

There will be people who play at one level, and people who play at the other. That's a GOOD thing. Learn to respect each other, that's all I'm saying.

How in the hell is that elitist. I'm the one getting my style of play called anal. I am completely fine with people who only play casually, as I've said before. As I said to Red Shadow, we both have fun.

I just made a good point describing that the developers designed it to be playable at a competitive level as well as casual, and my post was ignored. Instead, you just said "yeah, well you're an elitist."