Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

Ok, can someone please be kind enough to explain what these advanced moves actually are? What does a "wavedash" do???

Iv'e been a huge fun of SSB since it came out, and was always good enough to beat anyone I know, but I never played in tournaments or became fanatical about it. Im just really curious about all these moves I did not know about...

Go to Smashboards, you can learn pretty much everything there is to know about competitive Smash there. First go to Melee Discussion and read the stickied threads.

You sound a lot like me when I first found Smashboards, except I couldn't beat EVERYONE I knew, Gigs and I were pretty much tied. But if you are the same as I was then, you'll find that there is a whole lot more to this game then you thought. It's pretty cool.

Well, the thread is 82 pages long, and I've read a lot of it, still havn't found the wave dash explenation. I did read the L-cancel one. If comeone could atleast explain what wavedashing is that would be good...

Wave-dashing is when you jump and immediately airdodge diagonally into the ground. Your momentum from the dodge is transferred into a foward or backward slide along the ground where you can do any move, like a down-smash or a foward-smash.

So it's a roll dodge.

Forizzle: if you want to see a lot of this advanced shit in action, I reccomend you check out some DBR videos.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=410178209619848304&q=dbr&hl=en <-- that's their longest one, but they have a bunch of individual charcter videos as well. Just do a google video search for DBR.

EDIT:

Well, the thread is 82 pages long, and I've read a lot of it, still havn't found the wave dash explenation. I did read the L-cancel one. If comeone could atleast explain what wavedashing is that would be good...

Wave-dashing is when you jump and immediately airdodge diagonally into the ground. Your momentum from the dodge is transferred into a foward or backward slide along the ground where you can do any move, like a down-smash or a foward-smash.

So it's a roll dodge.

No, it's not. It's faster, more controllable, and more versatile, because you can do any attack out of it, before you even finish moving.

So, wavedashing is all fun and good (no, seriously, it is), but what do you guys who use advanced techniques in your playstyle think about dash-dancing?

I first was exposed to it when I found out about wavedashing and everything else. That is, at my first gaming convention/ tournament. I was of course beaten soundly in some friendlies by the tournament players because they knew something I didn't.

I've heard that dd-ing can be even more versatile than wavedashing, and I believe it, but it's extremely difficult to use as I play. And it's not just the dd-ing that's difficult, but springning an attack from it. I try to be unpredictable by crouch cancelling my dash and using pivoting, but I can't do it quickly/efficiently enough to incorporate it into my play. Anyone else have trouble with it or effectively play without it?

DD-ing is like a w/e to me. It really doesn't seem to change things much when used against me and it's a little too distracting to use. Now, a "wavedash-dance" is extremely confusing when done by fast wavedasher's. I end up using the wrong move at the wrong time and they just wavedash into me for a followup on the lag.

Of course, I main samus, so anybody waiting back gets missled much. I'm not used to approaching people without alot of bombs and missles.

In my general opinion on wavedashing, some character could do without it by using dash-cancel instead, but other characters use wavedashing as an equilizer between slower and faster characters because it simply makes them faster, such as luigi.

dash dancing is good but only neccesary when you play skilled opponents. Since its a mind game its all about tricking your opponent. Dash dancing, in combination with empty short hops, wavelands, and wavedashing can give you that much of an edge for your opponent to slip up. As in he tries to attack you and you aren't where he expected you to be.

Wavedashing is one of the few techniques I haven't bothered to master yet. Maining captain Falcon I have plenty of other aspects of his game to work on. Falcon's wave dash actually is quite impressive, watching vids of pros, but his dash dance is freakin insane.

You take the character tied with the fastest run(tied with fox), and the fastest dash(the extra burst of speed he gets when begining his run) and you have one crazy Dash dance.

Dash dancing is an interesting topic for me right now, because at OC2 I found out that Japanese players don't use it! They never do it more than once, anyways. I watched a video of Bombsoldier vs. Masashi to make sure, and the only time I've seen any dash dancing is when they are standing, and they dash away and then back in with an attack, so they use it just to space themselves like that.

I think that you can dash dance two ways, the smart way, and the stupid way. The stupid way is to just dash dance in place without worrying about controlling how far each dash is, and the only purpose of you doing it is to be able to come out with an aerial whenever you want, which scares your opponent. But I don't think this is very effective against someone who knows what's going on, which means anyone who is somewhat good. This is the way I used to think dash dancing was supposed to be used when I first found out about it, but it doesn't do much unless you are controlling how far each dash is.

Which brings me to the smart way: Since you can cancel a dash at anytime, you can have good control of travelling while dash dancing. You can dash one way, wait until the last possible moment to dash back, but then cancel that dash as SOON as possible, so that you almost just dashed twice in the same direction. This is the most control over travelling while dash dancing you can use, and you can really put dash dancing to use if you can control how far you travel good. One way I used it today was to chaingrab someone for a while when it was a situation I normally wasn't supposed to be able to chain grab because they were being sent to high. Every time when they came down, I would dash away from them, cancel that dash with a dash back in, and either grab from there, or I would get fancy and dash back out again to fake him out, making him think that I was just going to grab out of the first dash back, but then while he's reacting to that, I'm already back out of his range, ready to cancel yet another dash to come back in and finally grab him, abusing the lag from whatever he reacted with. Holy crap this game is fun.

The main use I saw for dash dancing would be to use it and pivot into an instant smash attack. I imagine, once someone gets that down solidly, they could dash dance like the freaking tazmanian devil, but be instantly able to launch a smash, foward tilt, or aerial right from it. That would allow you to pressure people like no tomorrow.

But then again, I also imagine a Marth who perfectly shffls across Final Destination would be like a whirldwind of destruction, knocking you off the stage without any hope of retaliation.

So I've switched from Falcon to Dr. Octagone-o-coloyst/Mario

Everything just feels a bit better with him, and I'm not killing myself ever, so that's a plus. Also, it takes some skill to play as him with the lag he gets if you mess up, and I'd rather play with a challenging character other than some Fox/Falco/Marth top tier stuff (tier hate for great justice)

Going to have to get good at shuffling before October 28th, also, we best get a meet-up going for that tourney

Dash dancing is helpful if you're smart about it. Not all characters should use dash dancing of course, like Falco. Marth is probably, imo, the perfect character for effective dash dancing, since you can dash dance with him to get easy grabs. It's ridiculously easy with him. I'd like to incorporate dash dancing with my characters, but I don't think it works that well with any of my top characters.

Since I haven't been visiting this thread a lot, I wonder if super special moves have been already discussed here. I was wondering which would fit each character the best, we already saw the massive 1,000 firaballs move from mario, and the atomic fart from wario or the "mega flare" (as I've called it) from samus... I wonder what we'll see for characters like solid snake, kid icarus or metaknight...

Since I haven't been visiting this thread a lot, I wonder if super special moves have been already discussed here. I was wondering which would fit each character the best, we already saw the massive 1,000 firaballs move from mario, and the atomic fart from wario or the "mega flare" (as I've called it) from samus... I wonder what we'll see for characters like solid snake, kid icarus or metaknight...

Meta knight's better involve the Halbierd

Since we're talking about super moves, these seem like they would mess up my game hardcore. It seems there is no way to build up a meter and then unleash one or anything, from the trailer. It just looks like there is a random item that once you grab unleashes it, which is kind of...stupid. Also, these also seem very easy to block/dodge as long as you aren't retarded...

Thankfully you'll just be able to turn these off, so it doesn't bother me that much

I kinda hope everyone has two specials.

An all attack and a focus attack.

Sure, Link can pummel the bejesus out of someone for massive damage, but in a 4 player, 99 stock match that's pretty insignificant.

However, Mario's ability to ruin a crowd would be exceptionally useful.

Let's say Link's move does 200%.

That's one person who has almost no chance of living.

Link kills this person, but he just comes back fresh, not to mention the 3 other people left untouched.

Now let's say Mario's move does 60% to all hit by it. (Assuming it can't be blocked)

Now these people have all been fighting so they are at around 60-70% each.

60% + 60% = 120%

At 120%, a decent place Smash will kill all three of them.

In conclusion, Mario does 180% damage to 3 people, granting him 3 easy kills.

Link does great damage to one person but still has to fight off three more.

It just seems unbalanced to me.

Giving all characters 2 Supers, one group and one single, would fix this problem.

Since we're talking about super moves, these seem like they would mess up my game hardcore. It seems there is no way to build up a meter and then unleash one or anything, from the trailer. It just looks like there is a random item that once you grab unleashes it, which is kind of...stupid. Also, these also seem very easy to block/dodge as long as you aren't retarded...

Thankfully you'll just be able to turn these off, so it doesn't bother me that much

Yeah it's just one more thing to add to the crazy fun. But since it's customizable, there's no problem. They could add items that totally break the game it wouldn't be a problem if you can turn them off.

My basic strategies

Marth - Forward throw to a tipper forward smash. I also use Counter. Alot. Another combo thing I use is an Up throw, short hop and "trying to grab them in the air", which results in a neutral air. Just to make it easier for me.

Fox - Shine. Alot. Also, when my opponent is about at 75% I go for the up throw to (X + ^+A), whatever people call that.

C. Falcon - The Knee and Falcon Punch.

Falco - Pillaring to about 70% then forward smashes.

Ness - PK Fire with a baseball bat.

Link - Nothing too special...

Can't think of any others right now...

My basic strategies

Marth - Forward throw to a tipper forward smash. I also use Counter. Alot. Another combo thing I use is an Up throw, short hop and "trying to grab them in the air", which results in a neutral air. Just to make it easier for me.

Fox - Shine. Alot. Also, when my opponent is about at 75% I go for the up throw to (X + ^+A), whatever people call that.

C. Falcon - The Knee and Falcon Punch.

Falco - Pillaring to about 70% then forward smashes.

Ness - PK Fire with a baseball bat.

Link - Nothing too special...

Can't think of any others right now...

I hear Marth's down throw is better than the forward throw for the whole tip follow up... how does it compare?

Good on the knee. I'd stay away from Falcon Punch unless for it's for kicks.

Link's tough to use, but I recommend lots of projectiles and short hop A moves with up+B to follow up downthrows and guarding the edge.

At least, this is what I've seen are effective.