Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

direction and the 2 button?

so using the wiimote gimps you then cause you lose your direction strong attacks that arent smash attacks

If anyone is confused by this post, he means "tilts."

The japanese site has an extra screenshot. It shows Meowth shooting coins from the coin on his forehead by sliding his hand across it.

I see one character model and three screen shots on both the Japanese and US sites. I don't think they got an extra screen...

Obviously, the method of imput for tilts and smashes has to differentiated at some level. My impression so far seems to be that if you press the D pad and 2 at the same time, you'll start charging a smash. My gut says that the method for tilts is probably to hit the direction you want followed by 2, but this wouldn't work for u-tilts, as you'd start jumping. I think that the D pad 1 & 2 should be the method for smash imput, while just the D pad and 2 should be dedicated to titlts.

Keep in mind, the controls have been promised to be completely customizable/mappable.

EDIT

1174245249182.jpg

Hi kids

EDIT EDIT

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/basic/basic04.html

D'oh!

Does anyone other than me find it absolutely retarded that they mapped the taunt to A and the grab to the minus button??? Those should totally be reversed. Think of how much a stretch it would be (with EITHER hand) Damn that's stupid. Taunting should be the absolute least of anyone's concern, therefore it should be mapped to something furthest from your hand, or at least not as close to your thumb as the A button will be... guess i'll be sticking with the GC controller (as I'm sure most people here will be too). -_-

N00b, you can map the functions to whichever button you choose in the final version. These are just the PRESETS.

But yes, I can see A being better for grabbing than -.

Honestly, I can't see the "Wiimote only" method being too useful. At first I was kind of interested to give it a shot, but the placement of the B trigger seems to give it a steep learning curve for something so back-to-basics as the remote. I can see the D pad being more percise for some things, but I imagine short hopping will be very difficult.

Great, so I guess now I'll be playing Brawl like a normal person while my friend is going TIKKITATIKKITATIKKITA on the controller like he's having a seizure, just like Melee. Sigh. I was kind of hoping they'd fix "wavedashing" and all those other techniques players gave names to. Just so long as they fix snaking in Mario Kart Wii, I guess it'll be ok.

*starts to make "No Wavedash" taunts*

I've heard tales that air-dodging is no longer directional, but you merely keep the trajectory you have as you dodge. This would make wavedashing impossible.

Of course, this is just what I've heard. E4All starts tomorrow, so we'll know more then.

As someone who wavedashed regularly in SSBM and really don't see what the big complaint is, I wouldn't mind wavedashing returning, but, at the same time, I would prefer this game to be more different from than similar to Melee. Part of the fun was learning how to play.

Sonic, Snake, Lucas or well, ANY CHARACTER YOU LUCKY BASTARD WHY DONT YOU DIE LIKE RIGHT NOW!!!!

I feel a similar loathing for you kiyosuki. However... you are our insider for the event... so you'd best report back the instant you return. (I need to know if L-canceling and wave-dashing are in it....)

Great, so I guess now I'll be playing Brawl like a normal person while my friend is going TIKKITATIKKITATIKKITA on the controller like he's having a seizure, just like Melee. Sigh. I was kind of hoping they'd fix "wavedashing" and all those other techniques players gave names to. Just so long as they fix snaking in Mario Kart Wii, I guess it'll be ok.

Sounds like you need to read this article. You should probably read the rest of the Intermediate section too if you have the time.

If anything, L Canceling will be in since it wasn't a glitch like WD was.

This is correct. L Canceling was there even back in the N64 days, but back then it was called Z Canceling. I guess Z was the button to use then to Lag Cancel... nowadays L Canceling just refers to Lag Canceling and not just canceling lag with the L button specifically.

Sonic, Snake, Lucas or well, ANY CHARACTER YOU LUCKY BASTARD WHY DONT YOU DIE LIKE RIGHT NOW!!!!

What have I been doing to stop from yelling at people going to E for All? Well, I watch a video of somebody else playing Brawl, and I take my Wii-Mote and pretend I am playing it. I even mimic all the actions, as the 8th or 9th time I watch it, I practically know everything I "am going to do."

Ok, that's a lie. I just know how to wait like a good little consumer.

I assume it's the same demo that was shown earlier, in which case Snake and Lucas are not available to play.

I would personally like to see more Pit and Diddy. It didn't seem like their abilities were really showcased all that well in any of the videos.

Definitely check out the costume options for the characters too.

Sounds like you need to read this article. You should probably read the rest of the Intermediate section too if you have the time.

I didn't mean to come off like I was complaining or whining - and I did generally scan this article, since I was curious. All I was trying to say earlier, and what this article doesn't really seem to address as much, is that wavedashing completely changes the way you play the game. I'm not skilled enough to pull it off (I'm not naiive enough to think it doesn't take skill to do and is "cheap") and as a result I'm playing against people who aren't running as I am, they're sliding everywhere, faster, with better agility and easier ability to attack faster. That's not unfair, but they are indeed playing an entirely different game. I also wasn't suggesting there be a "patch" to fix wavedashing in Melee (as this article says most complaining people suggest) as it's clearly part of it at this point...but I meant to say I was hoping they'd fix it in Brawl, since that's a new game and it being in Brawl only means that that divide is still going to exist. Snaking in Mario Kart DS is much the same way. If your fingers are fast enough to do an incredibly intricate combination incredibly quickly, then you'll probably win, but that isn't where the challenge of the game is supposed to come from. So yeah, I do think it even "breaks" it in some ways. I don't want any kind of "ban" because lots of players enjoy it and rely on it. But it does do a fine job of keeping me from playing, which is irritating at best.

Anyway, I didn't want to derail this, so carry on.

The line for this game at E for All tomorrow and Friday (days I'm going) is probably going to be insane. I'll probably have just one chance to play it, its going to be tough choosing which character I want to test out.

This is why the next time I leave California, I am going to make sure to visit all the wonderful expos and fests we get.

Oh well, I'll be back in 2 months. :D I'm going to AnimeExpo for sure this time. :)

Play Lucas and Snake... I don't think we've heard that much about how Snake plays, just his moves. And perhaps there is a Ness costume for Lucas. :)

Then again, you probably won't read this, so have fun!