Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

wow Hideo and Nobou on the same game........ Wow....this is the revolution.

And Miyamoto, in a way. Too bad Nobou won't do anything else besides the man theme.

I'm still rooting for Simon Belmont, Liquid Snake and Megaman. Those are the ones I'd really like to be in. We should start placing bets in some way...

Yet, I don't expect to see any other major news before November, to say the least. Maybe we'll get a bit more info on the 23th, at Nintendo's keynote speech at GC, entitled "Wii prove our promise" ( :lol: ) but not much.

With the spirit of keeping the thread alive, I'll share the story of my first and only gaming tournament. It was a SSBM tournament, one year after the game came out. Ah, good times. A guy in front of me was wearing a Starfox Adventures T-Shirt he made himself, and fiercly claimed it would be the greatest SF game ever. Poor guy :D

I was amazed by the grandeur of the event. Never had I seen so many gamers in one place. Take notice, Portugal isn't the most gaming country around, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the wierdo to regular guy ratio was at about 1:6. Not bad.

Organized by a popular gaming magazine, the tournament had Super Smash Bros. Melee for the GC, Pro Evolution Soccer...3 I think, for the PS2 and the brand new Halo for the Xbox, with some showing booths for all companies.

I was convinced I was pretty leet at SSBM and calmly walked up to the console for my first match. Woe is me, they had forgotten to tell me the rules of the match! They didn't have a cleared memory card... so no extra stages, no extra characters and, worst of all, all the matches were 2 min Time matches, while I was bluntly used to 3 stock matches. My strategy was shaken, but not my convicion. I was planning on using Ganondorf, but Link was my second best so I chose him. The first match was against a DK. He kept going "oh man, you're so screwed, DK has great horizontal recovery" and I said "Uhh... ok, sure, can we play now?"

The sap was sorely beaten 4 to 1. His horizontal recovery didn't do him much good while he was sent flying upwards.

I won the next match easily against a Fox user and was getting pretty confident. Then came along a little brat using Zelda. No, Shiek. Stupid Sheik. That was when I realized Link was a bit too slow to be a good character. Pokemon Stadium was the stage and the items favored him. He got the first KO with the hammer, the second with that red pokemon...uhhh scissor or something, the third with a bomb-omb and the fourth with lightining fast speed, just for the humiliation.

The kid went on to get 2nd place, and I went home.

It was a fun experience. None of the gamers were uber-pros, not wavedashing or any of that fancy stuff people use nowadays, most of which I've never heard of. (Dash-Dancing? Huh? What? Just get off mah lawn ya damn kids!). Simple fun.

I've never gone to any other tournament after that, though I did observe a CS one a couple years later. They're funny as hell while they are concentrated playing.

Good times.

ken, recepherus, azn + anden, dezee, the doug, and robpimpfalco where not there, making me not interested in said tournament

:)

My buddies play with Ken. Freaking awesome.

You live near LA? Ken is amazing with Marth, sure, especially coming out of nowhere and winning a tournament a few years back, but I'm not very fond of how he beat Bombsoldier in that Japanese tourney, with the chain throwing against Falco. I won't say it's cheap, but it's not very exciting to watch, and it's a bit of a take-every-advantage-you've-got tactic. I like Azen better. With his play-every-character philosophy.

Actually, Isai/Malva. With his insane SSB64 skills.

Yea I'm about an hour from LA. I haven't had the honor of playing anyone like Ken in a tournament yet, but just about everyone in my "Smash Crew" has played him or watched him play in person on several occasions. He is pretty nuts with Marth. I agree with what you said about the match against Bombsoldier. That chain throwing is disgusting, especially against heavies like Falco. It makes me sad inside cuz I'm a Falco user myself. :(

As am I. And Bombsoldier plays an absolutely amazing Falco. His follow ups after Masashi's (at least, I think it's Masashi, I've forgotten a lot of stuff) Fox DIs after getting hit by shines are awesome.

Oh, and Falco is actually pretty light, but he falls the fastest in the game. Funny how he's a bird.

I do agree that Isai is pretty cool to watch, but I am an azen fan at heart.

Also rob is my homeboy, even if he is all the way in texas and we only met once at tg5

lalos n*ggas

also rec needs to play again :(

Out of all the guest stars that can come in, I have never seen anyone say Ryu or Ken. It would work out fine
I dont think they would work out at all... there from a fighting game, and none of the other SSBB are. and common. how could you HADOKEN w/o

↓↘→p

Out of all the guest stars that can come in, I have never seen anyone say Ryu or Ken. It would work out fine
I dont think they would work out at all... there from a fighting game, and none of the other SSBB are. and common. how could you HADOKEN w/o

↓↘→p

Neutral B. It worked for Mario and Luigi.

Edit:

Oh, and Falco is actually pretty light, but he falls the fastest in the game. Funny how he's a bird.

Yea, I meant heavy in the fact that he falls like he gets spiked all the damn time.

↓↘→p

Neutral B. It worked for Mario and Luigi.

Edit:

Yea, I meant heavy in the fact that he falls like he gets spiked all the damn time.

just B Yeha i guess so. but that is how it is in any mario game. just one button. not a combo.

I just can't wait to actually play with the Wii controller with any of those games, SSB:B in particular. The Wii is likely to be on my christmas list this year, since Nintendo announced it might be released as early as October.

Correct me if I'm wrong but SSBB will not use the Wii remote/nunchuck. It will use a regular GC controller.

I just can't wait to actually play with the Wii controller with any of those games, SSB:B in particular. The Wii is likely to be on my christmas list this year, since Nintendo announced it might be released as early as October.

Correct me if I'm wrong but SSBB will not use the Wii remote/nunchuck. It will use a regular GC controller.

It will use a regular GC controller. I think they're using the "if it's not broken don't fix it" mentality here.

It will use a regular GC controller. I think they're using the "if it's not broken don't fix it" mentality here.

Yeah, either the casing, or your regular old controller. The Wiimot just doesn't work here.

Ryu would be pretty nice to have in the game, but it comes from a totally different fighting genre. It's classic 2D fighting as opposed to SSB's "Brawler"-style fighting game. Not only would it feel awkward, it would also ruffle the feathers of the SF fans, who almost gag at the thought of SSB being called a "fighting" game as it is, let alone if their poster boy, the hadoken-toting fighter, were to be included in the game. You might note some animosity in the last sentence, but there is none, I can assure you. Still, the oldskool fighter fans diss SSB as a "party game" and go back to the arcade perfecting that 30 input combo.

I consider the SSB series as one that's easy to pick up, but insanely tough to master. Masters of the game go into calculating dmg and timing recovery falls and their falling angles. It opens a totally new path of the genre. Still, Street Fighter remains as the undisputed fighting game, but I wouldn't say that the SSB series is too far behind.

From what I've heard' date=' while GC controllers will be the primary input device for SSBB, there will be some functionality with Wii controllers. What this means, though, is anybody's guess.[/quote']

I've heard none of this, but I'm all for Camera mode using the Wii controller.

YES.

And add a "Record" function plz. Snapshots are boring.

I doubt their will be any clones, but if Megaman makes it in I wouldn't mind seeing Protoman.

Although the chances of a Guest character having a clone are pretty close to nil.

I <3 Protoman.

I'd settle for a cameo though.

Okay Snake is gonna be in it.

And they said there was gonna be 1-2 more 3rd party characters they want to put in.

my guesses

Sonic~why? Because he should I mean c'mon you shouldnt even think of why he wont be in there.

Viewtiful Joe since Capcom and N go way back

or possibly Protoman as the guy above me mentioned

and Crash Bandicoot

since nobody really owns Crash anymore because Naughty Dog abandoned him and went on to doing Jak and Daxter. Curse J n D!

Okay Snake is gonna be in it.

And they said there was gonna be 1-2 more 3rd party characters they want to put in.

my guesses

Sonic~why? Because he should I mean c'mon you shouldnt even think of why he wont be in there.

Viewtiful Joe since Capcom and N go way back

or possibly Protoman as the guy above me mentioned

and Crash Bandicoot

since nobody really owns Crash anymore because Naughty Dog abandoned him and went on to doing Jak and Daxter. Curse J n D!

Sonic? Aw God no... My reasons for not wanting him in the game have been stated here before... Viewtiful Joe would be iffy. You can't slo-mo or speed up, it would destroy the pace of the battle. Protoman would be fine as long as Megaman is in there first. And ND still owns Crash, although that wouldn't be a bad choice if I may say...

A heads-up for any Connecticut Smashers:

There will be a Smash Bros. Melee tournament held at Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, CT this Saturday. Anyone interested can check out the thread on smashboards here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=79679

Be sure to come out and support the CT Smash scene! Plus, the more of you who show up, the mpre money I'll win when I take first place! :wink: