Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

My main character is Marth, (who I no longer feel bad about using b/c he's no longer top teir! Yeah disjointed hitboxes!) but I also am competent with Fox/Falco. I love to play casually with Samus, Luigi, Peach, C.F, and Mewtwo.

I'm interested in trying out that Ness glitch you mentioned, TheCatPhysician. Sounds like fun. Anyone any good at Samus' super wavedash? I've only accomplished it twice (not that I try it that often)

Mains: Mario, Young Link

I play best as Mario, but I can have fun with YL.

Woah I've never played against someone who's main was Mario, as he is mine. You can have lots of fun as Mario spinning people around with the cape and whatnot.

I love to use Mario. His cape is fun to mess around.

I main with Young Link, Ice Climbers, and Kirby.

Still hoping DeDeDe gets announced for Brawl. :(

I would love it if DeDeDe makes it in. I hope waddle dee makes an appearance as an enemy that pops out, kinda like the redeads.

I think it's a given that Dedede will be in. smashbrawl.com (part of the Smash Boards) comments:

King Dedede - He appears the most on the list, with a total of 5 definite nods out of all the entires shared with the public. Sakurai did make a comment when he was asked about Meta Knight that he was afraid he may never see Kirby or his other creations ever again since he left Nintendo, and now that he was back, he was going to relish it. He has always loved Meta Knight, Kirby, and King Dedede as a colorful trio of characters. He’s said it many times in the past. He’s also said that the reason Kirby games were underrepped in the past two Smashes was because he didn’t want to overinclude himself, and screw other guys out of their own characters appearing. But now that this may be his final game, he stopped caring XD And, judging by his eagerness to read King Dedede requests, we can tell that’s true!

Hey guys, I was wondering how to go about the easiest way to record Smash onto video to upload. I was thinking we could share videos of our gameplay and maybe learn tips/tricks/techniques from each other...

That's a wonderful idea. I guess playing on your monitor would be the easiest way to do it. And using some recording thingy.

Hey guys, I was wondering how to go about the easiest way to record Smash onto video to upload. I was thinking we could share videos of our gameplay and maybe learn tips/tricks/techniques from each other...

That's a wonderful idea. I guess playing on your monitor would be the easiest way to do it. And using some recording thingy.

Well not all of us can play using our computer monitors... :( Any other suggestions?

Well not all of us can play using our computer monitors... :( Any other suggestions?

Webcam?

I can't play off my monitor either.

Well my roommate informed me that we have a DVD recorder out in the living room hooked up to the TV and all. I could record some video of my playing style with my characters... but I don't know how fun it would be for you guys to watch.

Just do it, I'd watch it. I watch stuff when I'm bored, and I'm bored most of the time.

I have an emulator with the original (N64) Smash Bros and then I use SnapX Pro to capture the footage into a video format. But I don't have Melee.

i use every character. i love using bowser though.

link's got the cheap up+b edgeguard move :(

i like N64 smash a lot better, so i'm not a fan of the wavedashing or anything. just roll or take the hit. i'd enter more tournaments if it wasn't all about WD'ing.

Only idiots think it's all about wavedashing.

I don't even know how to wavedash, considering I've seen videos and read FAQs on it.

So, I checked into my dorm room this morning, and after BSing with the RA for a couple minutes, I found out that he's a Smasher. In fact, he has a challenge going that if anyone on the first floor can beat him in a match, then he'll buy pizza for everyone on the floor. Knowing how good my best friend/roommate is, we'll be getting pizza pretty often. :wink:

Well the problem is that most professional players have a "holier than thou" attitude coupled with a severe lack of self-esteem, so they take pride in the fact that they can play the game, and be awarded for doing so. Casual play ruins all of the variables that were locked firmly in place by tournament rules. So they lose their security and start calling out "You don't know this game like me cuz I wavedash N00B!" because they feel threatened that they may not seem superior anymore.

Basically elitists do this stuff, and it pisses off a alot of people:

Claim the tiers are infallible and that Mewtwo will always lose to Falco

Constantly brag

Refuse to play with less-skilled players

Refuse to play with low tier characters

Refuse to play without tournament rules

Consider all people who even think about casual play as a weaker fighter

Basically they just make themselves seem better. And that's just disgusting. Its a GODDAMN GAME.

Cerrax and Red Shadow, I'm wondering if you still agree with this, and if you have read my reply to this post. I just got back from a huge tournament called OC2 a little while ago and hung out with a lot of professional Smashers for a week. They were all really nice and fun people to be around, and none of them were what you described. Please read my previous reply to this post if you havn't already.

If you have never been to a tournament before, maybe you should go to one and meet some of the professionals before you put the majority of them under these labels.

Here is what I posted earlier, in case you missed it:

Claim the tiers are infallible and that Mewtwo will always lose to Falco
Do you still not know what the tiers are? They are only there to give you an idea of how well characters do currently in high-level tournaments. That's why it is constantly updated. Before Ken started going to tournaments, nobody knew Marth could be so good, and he was low on the tier list. Then Ken introduced things like short-hop-double-forward aerial and won the tournament. After that they were happy to move Marth up on the tier list. If someone figures out new stuff with Mewtwo and wins tournaments, they will be happy to move him up on the tier list. Whoever told you that the tiers are infallible clearly doesn't know what the tiers are.
Constantly brag
Of course out of all the people who play competitively, there are bound to be a few people who brag, but out of all the poeple I played at OC2 and when I went to a Skypal Smashfest, nobody who was a lot better than me bragged when they won. I got four stocked craploads of times, and there was no trash talking or anything. They know that I know it is just a learning exeperience on my part, and we're both ok with the fact that one of us is better.
Refuse to play with less-skilled players
Go to a tournament or smashfest in your area and see if they won't let you play. I haven't heard of this happening, please give me an example. Of course, if you will only play with items and crazy stages, they won't want to play unless they are just messing around.
Refuse to play with low tier characters
That is simply not true. Of course most professionals will only use high tier characters in tournaments, when they are playing to win, but almost every professional has at least one low tier character. Look at Azen and Isai. But even still, there are quite a few professionals who use low tier characters in big tournaments, like The Germ, Taj, Ness players, Bowser players, etc.
Refuse to play without tournament rules
I dunno if you maybe went to a Smashfest to find this out or something, but if that is the case, of course they aren't going to want to play without tournament rules because this is how they practice. Although I agree, most of us don't play with items and such unless we're really just messing around. That's just our personal preferance, the same way you prefer to have items on.
Consider all people who even think about casual play as a weaker fighter
I don't know where you are getting this from. I've never heard anyone say that, and I go to Smashboards pretty much every day. Maybe there are a few people who would say that, but I highly doubt that the majority of professional smashers would say that.

I don't even know how to wavedash, considering I've seen videos and read FAQs on it.

It's pretty simple. When you airdodge, you can move while you're doing it in any direction such as up, down, left, right, down-left, etc.

All you do is jump, and then airdodge diagonally into the ground. If you were close enough to the ground, then you slide a little.

Now the trick is to make the timing between the jump and then airdodge really short. If you do it right, you don't even see the jump. The time between the two depends on the character you're playing.

So, you're saying that I have to jump, then airdodge a split-second or so after the jump? I'll keep trying. I don't want to learn wavedashing because I think it's the only way to win or whatever. I just want to try some new techinques.

It kinda makes you wonder if wavedashing is a glitch, or if it was an intended tatic.

Wavedashing itself wasn't intended as tactic. It was just overlooked as a part of the game's character physics.

I got some DVD-RWs so I can record a bit of how I play. Are we all still down with sharing videos of ourselves to learn from each other? Cuz I want to learn more about this magnificent fun game.

It's pretty simple. When you airdodge, you can move while you're doing it in any direction such as up, down, left, right, down-left, etc.

All you do is jump, and then airdodge diagonally into the ground. If you were close enough to the ground, then you slide a little.

Now the trick is to make the timing between the jump and then airdodge really short. If you do it right, you don't even see the jump. The time between the two depends on the character you're playing.

So, you're saying that I have to jump, then airdodge a split-second or so after the jump? I'll keep trying. I don't want to learn wavedashing because I think it's the only way to win or whatever. I just want to try some new techinques.

It kinda makes you wonder if wavedashing is a glitch, or if it was an intended tatic.

I'm pretty sure it's a required physics element of the game that the makers didn't expect people to find/use in battle. But I'm not sure.

Wavedashing itself wasn't intended as tactic. It was just overlooked as a part of the game's character physics.

I got some DVD-RWs so I can record a bit of how I play. Are we all still down with sharing videos of ourselves to learn from each other? Cuz I want to learn more about this magnificent fun game.

I'll share videos if I can somehow record them.

All you need is a TV tuner card for your PC. It costs about $50. With it, you can hook up your GCN to your PC and use the record option to record video. The picture and sound quality will depend on your video and sound cards, but it still gets the job done.

I'll share videos if I can somehow record them.

All you need is a TV tuner card for your PC. It costs about $50. With it, you can hook up your GCN to your PC and use the record option to record video. The picture and sound quality will depend on your video and sound cards, but it still gets the job done.

We tried a TV tuner card before, it didn't work too well because of the split second of lag between what you input and what appears on the screen. (Things like the SWD and the double laser have a 1-2 frame window!)

I use an Ati TV Wonder Ve. Except for the picture quality, it works pretty good for me. I don't notice any lag at all, even during heated melee matches.