Another Beginner...

Hello reader,

I , as unfortunate as it is to say, am a beginner-to-be at remixing (I know what your thinking: Oh no! Not another newb message from someone who has never remixed!). I have listened to OCRemix for almost 2 years, and I have recently came in contact with the FFVII OST and decided to check out some remixes. As I listened, I challenged myself. Why can't I do this? Well, one reason is because I have no idea what I am doing. I can't play any instruments. I've never done it before! So after being discouraged for a while, I decided to look at OCRemixes tutorials, then the Forums. Well, I am really interested now. (Yeah, yeah, I know... quit yappin'! Get to the good stuff!)

I truely would like to get into this interesting job. I have looked up software on the forums, but didn't get too far. So, what should I do for software (obviously I have a computer!) or equipment? Now, you don't have to be too detailled. I'm sure the knowledge comes with time. I would just like some pointers to get me in the right direction... or maybe just pointed in the right direction? Either way, I do thank you for reading this unattractive, long, newb post and for possibly considering responding. And you thought I'd ask "Teach me how to remix!" or something... didn't you. Admit it!

With my Best Regards,

Mike Waite (Elysianhero)

That virt response was pretty awesome. Never seen it before.

Anyway, I would take a look at ALL the stickies in this forum (maybe not the announcements D: ), and check out the tutorials link via the <------sidebar. I'm not really familiar with VGMix, but i'm sure they have some good stuff as well.

Just for pointing you in the GENERAL direction though, i'd say you need some music editing software (many people choose Fruity Loops due it's price and easy learning curve), a MIDI controller possibly (not needed, but tends to make things easier) to control instruments, and if you want to record live (analog), some equipment (which is covered in the stickies). Not to mention some intiative :) , which you seem to have.

I don't consider myself a veteran at all, but i've been studying pretty hard for about 6 months, keeping an eye on these forums, going to school for Audio Engineering next month, and yet I STILL can't bring myself to complete a piece. It takes more time than most are willing to commit to, but if you really love it, it won't be wasted. Like Virt mentioned in that link Overcoat pointed you to, don't just start out trying to do a remix (a little bits alright, just to get it out of your system), because you need to know how to create music of your own before you can reinterpret someone elses :wink:

And i'd like to also mention... THANK-YOU for not being such a n00b about asking :D You were very proper in your inquiry, MUCH obliged. Good luck, and if the stickies don't help you, feel free to ask away, but make sure you try and find the answers yourself. A lot can be learned just through taking the journey itself.

Ok, well, Thank you!

I reread that Virt message, and began to understand it better. Souliarc, thank you for your point in the general direction. I don't know if you understand how much that really did help me! Thank all of you for your tips.

As Always,

Elysianhero

I might also add that finding equipment to record live is in the stickies somewhere, but might be hard to find. Look in this thread for some advice. Most of the time it's mic-> preamp/mixer-> audio card, and depending on your preference, some cables (mics typically take XLR). Sometimes you may need 1/8" -> 1/4" adapters as well, which are easy to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've been doing some work and researching of and about remixing. All I have really done so far is play around with FL Studio 6 and the sounds that it provides. I am also in the process of getting books on music theory, etc., which I am hoping will teach me how to create original work (the OCR judges seem to be big on that, for one, and two, that's what I think my remixes are lacking: good original work).

Now onto my questions. (Know that I have never worked with electronic audio hardware before)

I have an electronic keyboard for which I have recently purchased a USB/MIDI cable. This is so that I can use my keyboard to make music. Is this right, or did I go about it wrong?

Second, I read the interesting post that Souliarc provided about the microphones. A microphone would be used for the recording of live instruments (a drum set, an acoustic guitar, vocals), but I don't need it for a keyboard or electric guitar, right? Can I just hook those to the computer? I don't know anything in this arena.

Third, Souliarc you also tell me to get a preamp/mixer. Doing some homework, I have found that a preamplifier is, basically, to make what you record with your mic louder and better. Is this correct? So in a sense, I would hook my mic to the preamp, which would be hooked to the computer, and get good sound, or am I wrong? Also, a mixer, is that also called a Mixing Console? I looked that up on Froogle and found some items ranging from $50-$2,500. Is this what everyone is talking about when they say "mixer" and what does it do?

Thank you, I have to run, but am looking forward to hearing your replies.

Second, I read the interesting post that Souliarc provided about the microphones. A microphone would be used for the recording of live instruments (a drum set, an acoustic guitar, vocals), but I don't need it for a keyboard or electric guitar, right? Can I just hook those to the computer? I don't know anything in this arena.

For a keyboard, you're right; you can just plug it straight into your computer.

As for an electric guitar, the answer is a bit more complicated. To get the absolute most authentic sound, you need to hook it up to an amp and use a mic to record the amp. However, there are many other ways to do it which will get tones that are almost as good, and are a lot cheaper.

You can plug your guitar directly into your soundcard, but it probably won't be at the correct volume; you may need a mixer or preamp to boost the signal to a usable level.

This will also give you pretty crappy tone. The way to remedy that is with amp modelers. You can use an external modeler, such as a POD (and depending on your budget, there are cheaper and more expensive versions). You can also use plugins such as Guitar Suite. Guitar suite is free, and it's what I use. I highly reccomend it.

Amp modelers will never be able to get you quite the same sweet tone that you can get from miking a genuine tube amp, but some can come close enough that most people won't be able to tell the difference.

I am also in the process of getting books on music theory, etc., which I am hoping will teach me how to create original work

One way to get original work is to rely on your ears instead of a MIDI file to play the melody, or to pick slightly different chords or notes to play with. For instance, you have a simple A minor chord:

A C E

You can add notes by making it an m6/9:

A C E F# B

Suddenly the 'plain' chord got some spice. Theory will help you with that for a bit, but it'll focus on the progressions, more. Check out http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/ - try some chords and their spiced up versions.

I have an electronic keyboard for which I have recently purchased a USB/MIDI cable. This is so that I can use my keyboard to make music. Is this right, or did I go about it wrong?

You did right. You might however need an audio interface too, to replace a regular (onboard?) soundcard - if you didn't already get that.

but I don't need it for a keyboard or electric guitar, right?

Right, but not always. Electric guitars are also sometimes mic'ed like Geoffrey says. Some folks built their own isolated boxes where they put the amp and the mic in to eliminate background noise. See http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/images/iso-box-2.jpg

Don't just hook anything up to your computer. You don't want to fry stuff.

Also, a mixer, is that also called a Mixing Console?

Console, desk, yeah.

I looked that up on Froogle and found some items ranging from $50-$2,500. Is this what everyone is talking about when they say "mixer"

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Mixers--2846

Those are mixers :). It's better to look this up in a real music store to avoid possible confusion of terminology. You don't want kitchen utensils :).

and what does it do?

A mixer mixes signals. Why do you have to mix signals? Because otherwise you'd only hear one instrument at a time. Why a mixer? Because it allows you to regulate the volume of every instrument without hoping that the players have the right volume set on their machines. If you have a band, everyone wants to hear themselves. Ergo, everyone cranks the volume up to 11. This sucks if it means you only hear guitars, and no vocals and weak keyboards.

Why a mixer, continued : because a mixer with "groups" allows you to work with only a few sliders for the volume. If a drum kit is completely mic'ed you have like 11 faders to work with. If you want to turn up the drum kit's volume on the whole, it means sliding up 11 faders. A group allows you to simply use one or two.

Why a mixer, even more continued: a lot of mixers already contain microphone preams. You can plug a microphone in a mixer and put the resulting signal without danger of blowing something up in your computer.

Eh? :D

They covered the details much better than I could have. In regards to the guitar being directly "lined-in" though, if you want an example of what quality you can get from that, just look at Harmony's ReMixes. With all of them, he simply plugged in his guitar directly to the SB Live and went from there in regards to EQ and ambience (made sure to turn off non-essential electronics as well). He used Sonar (but only version 2!), for recording and editing. If you can't afford Sonar though, Audacity is a great free alternative that is widely used (I use it).

Have fun, and if you find some good music theory books, let me know. I've yet to scrounge through the library to find some.

p.s. OMG VIRT QUOTES

Not sure what that means, or if it even has anything to do with me...

Could be virtual quotes?

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH CLASSIC.

While I don't feel the comment deserves so many capital letters... yes, this place has quite a history Elysianhero. Virt was a regular member and remixer here, but due to a dispute with DJP, he left, and ventured out to create www.vgmix.com (which is down by the way). So, for some reason, people take him to be OCR's adversary :P

Umm... I don't know if you wanted to even know all that, but just ignore Gung Fu Chicklet and keep on with your musical prowess :wink:

Eh? :D

They covered the details much better than I could have. In regards to the guitar being directly "lined-in" though, if you want an example of what quality you can get from that, just look at Harmony's ReMixes. With all of them, he simply plugged in his guitar directly to the SB Live and went from there in regards to EQ and ambience (made sure to turn off non-essential electronics as well).

I should mention that what I said about recording guitars earlier was strictly referring to straight up electric guitars. With an acoustic-electric, you can generally just plug it straight in (though again, you may need a preamp or mixer to get it to the right volume)

p.s. OMG VIRT QUOTES

Not sure what that means, or if it even has anything to do with me...

Could be virtual quotes?

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH CLASSIC.

While I don't feel the comment deserves so many capital letters... yes, this place has quite a history Elysianhero. Virt was a regular member and remixer here, but due to a dispute with DJP, he left, and ventured out to create www.vgmix.com (which is down by the way). So, for some reason, people take him to be OCR's adversary :P

Umm... I don't know if you wanted to even know all that, but just ignore Gung Fu Chicklet and keep on with your musical prowess :wink:

He's also a crazy good mixer.