(Round 4 Mixing) OCR SINGING IDOL!!!!! The OCR Singing Competition

WillRock

Ok don't count me in finally. Thought the songs would be very vocal oriented but considering what the 1st song is, not for me. But I'll listen to the entries ;)

The songs will be very diverse, in terms of vocal style, range etc. This first track is primarily for fun and to get things started. Later tracks will be a little more "serious." :-D

Keep in mind, you can sing the songs any way you want to. Also, you don't need to sing every round, since it is non-elimination. Just do the ones you want!

There will be some tracks that may be more male-vocal friendly, and some that may be more female-vocal friendly, and many that will be easily singable by men and women. But all of them are opportunities to be unique and fun.

Edited by Chimpazilla

Again for emphasis, these tracks are going to be quite diverse and may seem like they are locked in to a particular gender or style. This is where you really need to get creative!

Do whatever you want. Be funny if you want. Do a rap song over a ballad. If you feel the track isn't singable by your gender (and beware, some of them WILL be like that), do something completely different with it, make up different lyrics or whatever. As long as what you do still fits the vibe of the song and makes a cohesive track, and most importantly, showcases what you are good at!

This is going to be so much fun, I'm so excited for it to start!

If you feel the track isn't singable by your gender (and beware, some of them WILL be like that), do something completely different with it, make up different lyrics or whatever.

Hm... anyone know of a technique to pitch-shift yourself upwards without chipmunkification?

Note: I reserve the right to submit chipmunk singing if it would be tasteful. Somehow.

Ah, somehow I thought this'd definitely be VGM music. Probably bad reading comprehension on my side. I'm still in of course.

We thought it would be easier to use songs that already have lyrics and that most people will be familiar with. Anyone is free to write new lyrics or sing the existing lyrics.

That said, if this goes well, we may do another round of this compo, using VGM tracks, where *writing* lyrics will be part of the compo, in addition to *singing* them.

We thought it would be easier to use songs that already have lyrics and that most people will be familiar with. Anyone is free to write new lyrics or sing the existing lyrics.

That said, if this goes well, we may do another round of this compo, using VGM tracks, where *writing* lyrics will be part of the compo, in addition to *singing* them.

Yeah I was really confused by this too, especially since it sounded like you and Will were saying different things. He said lyrics would be provided and you were saying to make up your own :-P

I think I just jumped to the conclusion that this was going to be like the old VOCR compos where the compo host created an instrumental VGM remix and then the participants had to write and sing their own lyrics on top of the instrumental. That was seriously such a cool idea at the time and I'd like to see something like it again.

Regardless, this'll still be cool.

I'm still wondering about whistling haha

I think some people need to look at the first post, I've attempted to explain rules (including whistling) in as much detail as possible.

RULES

There have been a lot of questions about rules so I'm going to try and put everything here.

Structure of compo:

• When Mixing Week begins, you will have 1 week to sing (or rap, scream, meow, w/e) over the selected weeks song. Key Signature and Lyrics will be provided.
  • When the round ends, a public voting period of 1 week will be conducted where each person posts their top 3 performances for the round.
  • There will be 5 songs in all, with an expected run time of 10 weeks.

Mixing Week Rules

• You may use vocal processing and manipulation in your performances. However, keep voting criteria in mind when using them. This is a singing competition, and therefore excessive autotune (to the point of detracting from the performance) is strongly discouraged.
  • Joke entries are allowed. We all want to have a bit of a laugh!
  • You can sing your vocals in any language or any style (Rapping, Whistling etc) Creativity is encouraged.
  • You are encouraged to include vocal harmonies/accompaniment.
  • You may change the lyrics if you wish.
  • You may variate on the melody of the track you're singing if you wish, but don't lose sight of the original source material. Think close to OCR Level interpretation. Of course, the closer to the original music the better, it HAS to be recognisable.
  • You are not allowed to rearrange or edit the backing track. Vocals only please.

Submitting

• Submit with vocals over the backing track. You may also submit the solo vocals if you wish on top of this but not instead of.
  • Name your track as follows: Artist Name - Track Name

Voting:

Voting is based on a number of aspects.

• Performance quality - Try and keep your vocals in tune and in time.
  • Recording quality - Make sure the vocals are cleanly recorded. Attempt to avoid unwanted buzzing, clipping, unwanted audio noises etc.
  • Concept - Make sure the vocals suit the song. Make sure you have some creativity in your vocals, and If the vocals are processed, make sure they do not detract from the vocal performance quality.
  • Enjoyability - Obviously, you should ENJOY it :P

Since this is a non-elimination contest, I want everyone to have a go - even if you'll do terrible (even if its intentionally - we could all use a good laugh! :D)

Any questions people still have, shoot away. Edited by WillRock

To anyone who is confused or unhappy about this compo, sincere apologies! It is in fact a bit of a developing idea. Bear with us. We are trying to make this a very fun compo, where you can either show off your extensive vocal skills or your capacity for humor and/or raw creativity. If it works out great and is fun, we will probably do it again in the future, in a more refined way.

We would like people to officially sign up for this compo. So if you're really in, post your name here. We will update the list as often as possible.

Thanks for your great suggestions and your patience. Whatever happens, it WILL be fun!

Edited by Chimpazilla