(Round 4 Mixing) OCR SINGING IDOL!!!!! The OCR Singing Competition

WillRock

And I should really be keeping my mouth shut here, but...even though my intention to participate is purely for the fun of it, I see it as a prick move to cast a vote on yourself, and placing that vote at #1 is just asinine. I sincerely hope you edit that for the good of everyone else.
I'm inclined to agree. I don't know how WillRock planned to interpret this (whether to toss the 1st place vote in question or to count it or what), but I was wondering if there was a way to mitigate this sort of thing. "thou shalt not vote for thine own cover"?
One could asssume that this is common knowledge ...... but someoone played the "ass" card -> this is why we can't have nice things

@CN:

For the next round - cut the bass, low end of the backing track with an eq while recording - bass in the headphone makes it harder to intonate right

What the hell is the point of a competition where you can vote yourself into the top spot?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with voting for yourself in a compo if the rules don't preclude you from doing so. It's not playing "the ass card" to do so, nor is it a "prick move." It's okay to have enough confidence in your own work to decide that you think it's the best entry. It's not unfair or dickish in the slightest. People have the right to vote for their own work. When people run for office, do you think they vote for their opponents? No. They vote for themselves. And that is absolutely fine and okay.

In my compos, I usually spell out rules for self-votes:

• in tournaments like GRMRB, self-voting is encouraged
  • in gauntlets like WCRG, self-voting is precluded, but bonuses are awarded to teams whose members vote.

Both of these are perfectly valid schemes. Perhaps Will and Kris can clarify their self-voting policy in the first post.

It seems that Brandon checked with the organizers before voting for himself, which means he tried to do things above-board. He just seems to have mischaracterized the organizers as encouraging him to do so when they only indicated he had the option, which is totally minor in the grand scheme of things.

In any case, let's try to stay away from calling people pricks or asses.

I'll edit out my first spot vote, but I'm not gonna vote for someone else because it would be ethically wrong to change the 1st place vote to someone (and I don't want anyone to feel like they coerced me into voting for them), so it'll be a vote for nobody, and the 2nd and 3rd place votes will stay the same

In the future I won't vote for myself again and if that's the vibe you guys want with the compo and nobody voting for themselves then I support it 100%

I'll admit I've been running on assumptions and previous experience w/PRC and MnP, which discourage self-voting but gives you a voting bonus of a 1st place vote added to your own submission simply for voting. If I had known that it was allowed I wouldn't have said anything. Of course I wouldn't have voted for myself [this round] because I really don't like my submission, but I would have been ok with it.

Maybe WillRock should put a self-voting policy in the first post to mitigate confusion, because I'm certainly confused at this point.

Edited by Anorax

I'll edit out my first spot vote, but I'm not gonna vote for someone else because it would be ethically wrong to change the 1st place vote to someone (and I don't want anyone to feel like they coerced me into voting for them), so it'll be a vote for nobody, and the 2nd and 3rd place votes will stay the same

In the future I won't vote for myself again and if that's the vibe you guys want with the compo and nobody voting for themselves then I support it 100%

No Brandon, you can keep your self vote. It's ok. I just wanted to set the record straight that I said you could, not that you should. But I'd say, only do this if you REALLY feel yours is the BEST entry, and not just because you "want to win." Fair enough?

I'll admit I've been running on assumptions and previous experience w/PRC and MnP, which discourage self-voting but gives you a voting bonus of a 1st place vote added to your own submission simply for voting. If I had known that it was allowed I wouldn't have said anything. Of course I wouldn't have voted for myself [this round] because I really don't like my submission, but I would have been ok with it.

Maybe WillRock should put a self-voting policy in the first post to mitigate confusion, because I'm certainly confused at this point.

Self Voting policy is that its allowed.

Voting is closed!

First place votes gained 3 points.

Second place votes gained 2 points.

Third Place votes gained 1 point.

Tallies are as follows:

anterroir - - 27

Rexy - - 18

Brandon Strader - - 15

Trism - - 8

Brotha Dom - - 6

CN - - 5

Anorax - - 2

I have updated the first post which will now show the full score tallies of everyone in the competition.

*ROUND 3 BEGIN*

The Touch by Stan Bush

Here is the link to the backing track (Key Signature: D Major)

You have till Saturday 3rd May 5pm EST to submit your track.

Please check the first post for rules, and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :D

And last but not least - LYRICS:

You got the touch

You got the power

After all is said and done

You've never walked, you've never run,

You're a winner

You got the moves, you know the streets

Break the rules, take the heat

You're nobody's fool

You're at your best when when the goin' gets rough

You've been put to the test, but it's never enough

You got the touch

You got the power

When all hell's breakin' loose

You'll be riding the eye of the storm

You got the heart

You got the motion

You know that when things get too tough

You got the touch

You never bend, you never break

You seem to know just what it takes

You're a fighter

It's in the blood, it's in the will

It's in the mighty hands of steel

When you're standin' your ground

And you never get hit when your back's to the wall

Gonna fight to the end and you're takin' it all

You got the touch

You got the power

When all hell's breakin' loose

You'll be riding the eye of the storm

You got the heart

You got the motion

You know that when things get too tough

You got the touch

You're fightin' fire with fire

You know you got the touch

You're at your best when when the road gets rough

You've been put to the test, but it's never enough

You got the touch

You got the power

You got the touch

You got the power

I am extending the deadline for those people who aren't sure if they'll manage to produce something on time... Lets say 2 days. That gives you all the weekend. Get me something good by Monday 5pm EST!

Also, could people please send their tracks to me for the time being? Kristina is too busy with personal business to deal with the compo right now.

I am extending the deadline for those people who aren't sure if they'll manage to produce something on time... Lets say 2 days. That gives you all the weekend. Get me something good by Monday 5pm EST!

Also, could people please send their tracks to me for the time being? Kristina is too busy with personal business to deal with the compo right now.

Just sent you a dropbox link via PM with my entry, WillRock. Please confirm to me that you can see the link and download the file. :)

Edited by SwordBreaker

That seriously is a good track. You should sell it on Amazon/iTunes. I was actually trying to look for one to purchase and came across the competition

I also may try entering, despite only having around 9 months of singing lessons

Edited by Joe4269