Workflow tips for single pattern FL Studio writing

I use to use multiple pattern blocks dedicated to various sounds and instruments, which got ridiculously confusing when I abandoned the project for several years and then tried to go back and figure out what I did and what does what. I've recently just started merging all my drum sounds into one pattern and all my instrumentals into another.

In the playlist, hold ctrl and right click the mouse over the patterns you want merged together, then left click and select merge selected.

If you have patterns that aren't close by that you want merged (pattern 06, pattern 20, pattern 24, etc.), select a pattern you want to merge, hold ctrl + select and use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to move it next to the pattern you want to merge with.

I uh, just don't do that. :P I used to get confused when I went back to old project files, but I no longer get confused because these days I'm organized. I have my own method of organization in which I put related patterns and automation clips near each other (related by instrument), put similar automation clips near each other (related by parameter [EX: EQ band #X gain] or ultimate purpose [EX: compensation EQ]), put section tabs, and name everything.

But if you really do want to just condense your patterns down, do what Skrypnyk said. Here are some shortcuts to working within patterns that I use a lot:

F4: new pattern

F7: piano roll

F9: mixer

Ctrl+Shift+Delete: delete entire pattern

Alt+Delete: delete instrument when window is not in focus or not open (highlight instrument)

Ctrl+Shift+C: Clone instrument

Alt+Up/Down or Shift+Mouse Wheel: move instrument up and down in list

Ctrl+C/X/V: Copy/Cut/Paste piano roll data when window is not in focus or not open (highlight instrument)

Ctrl+Up/Down: shift notes up/down 1 octave

Shift+Up/Down/Left/Right: shift notes up/down/left/right 1 grid rectangle

Ctrl+Select: select multiple notes in piano roll

Alt+click-drag: move notes without quantization

Alt+X: scale velocities (make a preset for FL to remember after closing. You'd probably use this a lot if you like it)

Right click-drag: change multiple velocities as a linear "slope", e.g. for drum rolls

More here.

Edited by timaeus222

I don't mean amalgamating lots of separate patterns into one, timaeus. I mean putting together all the midi data in the track in one pattern or a few patterns. When I'm writing music with lots of variation and weird harmonies going on, it really helps me to do it in one pattern rather than expanding each part across a zillion patterns.

I don't mean amalgamating lots of separate patterns into one, timaeus. I mean putting together all the midi data in the track in one pattern or a few patterns. When I'm writing music with lots of variation and weird harmonies going on, it really helps me to do it in one pattern rather than expanding each part across a zillion patterns.

Oh, you mean almost like how it is in a MIDI file. :razz: Yeah, merge works great; the only drawback is that you can't copy/paste stuff you already wrote.

Edited by timaeus222