OCR for New Remixers Ranking

LadyTwigy

Hi

I think there should be a Ocremix for non profesionals. Like seperet from the main ocremix pros.

Where the remix doesnt have to be perfect and pro it can be ok and get put up.

for example:

If i submit a remix and they say NO. It will go to another judgement process like silver rank and maybe it will pass there. and it will have silver judges.

and the judges of each rank will be voted in by the non pro remixers.

and then eventually remixers may start at copper rank and then in the future become real ocremixers. (example Gold or Platinum)

What do you guys think?

ReMixes already don't have to be "perfect and pro." While, I guess I can appreciate the perception of that, the standards are here to make being approved as an OC ReMix mean something. Adding second- and third-class quality tiers to stuff that isn't passed aren't labels that benefit the perception of that work for the artists, plus it adds a level of work I'm not interested in pursuing.

TL;DR - There's only one tier: whether it's approved.

We just need a second big site in the style of VGMix...it'd be so healthy for the remix scene!

If anything, in case djp found himself with a lot of spare time, he could tackle a site design in that vein and find reliable people to maintain it.

Further developing OCR is probably a full time hobby in itself though. But he could do some networking for such a project on the side, and with any luck find some talent to take most of the workload off him.

So, not talking a full blown sister side, but some organisational nudging and oversight to get the right people out of the woodwork. Giving such a site the OCR brand wouldn't be advisable anyway, it needs its own identity.

probably not saying anything new here...i expect that djp was very interested in the revival of VGMix.

Pursuing the netlabel route and all is a logical step.

I just wanna note that devoting some energy to this idea would be the biggest service to the VG remixing scene possible, imo.

Even if it's just on the back burner, if you keep an eye open, things might fall into place in a year or two...

Also twigy, i think you play too much starcraft, or LoL, or something with metal themed tiers anyway ;)

Edited by Nase

Hi

I think there should be a Ocremix for non profesionals. Like seperet from the main ocremix pros.

for example:

If i submit a remix and they say NO. It will go to another judgement process like silver rank and maybe it will pass there. and it will have silver judges.

and the judges of each rank will be voted in by the non pro remixers.

and then eventually remixers may start at copper rank and then in the future become real ocremixers. (example Gold or Platinum)

What do you guys think?

You are basically talking about newgrounds audio portal. Though its not nearly as effective as that. I started posting remixes on newgrounds before ocremix, and its actually not a bad place to start. But the main problem you will face is zero bombers, and bias.

Edited by Mikeaudio
Added to the sentence

I think Twiggy is trying to explain a good idea in a ridiculous way.

I think it would be a great idea for new remixers to have an idea *where they are* in quality by means of "ranking."

Instead of a *NO! go back to the mutants* or *YES! Welcome to the elite*.

It adds more fun to making remixes with a tier system-which should bring more liveliness to the scene(idk to me it seems very boring than what it used to be, even though there are more community elements now-or maybe I'm just getting old). And more of a stepping stone to high quality.

And as far as the "more work to do" problem:

if the new site is designed in a way where it is self regulated by *a passionate community*, there shouldn't be that much work for Ocremix staff other that the seed/start up resources-which even that I bet *a passionate community* would help.

I think Twiggy is trying to explain a good idea in a ridiculous way.

I think it would be a great idea for new remixers to have an idea *where they are* in quality by means of "ranking."

Instead of a *NO! go back to the mutants* or *YES! Welcome to the elite*.

It adds more fun to making remixes with a tier system-which should bring more liveliness to the scene(idk to me it seems very boring than what it used to be, even though there are more community elements now-or maybe I'm just getting old). And more of a stepping stone to high quality.

And as far as the "more work to do" problem:

if the new site is designed in a way where it is self regulated by *a passionate community*, there shouldn't be that much work for Ocremix staff other that the seed/start up resources-which even that I bet *a passionate community* would help.

I think there's enough butthurt to go around re: a YES/NO system to then go and add ratings or rankings, which tip heavily to nostalgia and genre bias than anything concrete. Part of the reason VGMix2's rating system eventually stopped effective was after the initial enthusiasm wore off to reviewing and it was left with maybe only 3 regulars that bothered reviewing and scoring consistently. The passion fades. I liked VGMix2, but that's been done before and the system was flawed on the reviews level in the long run. That basically seems like what you're asking for, tiers based on fan reviews has been done.

Personally, I'm just not a fan of the inconsistencies of hive-mind scoring systems. I wrote this years ago, so I'll have to find the post. :lol: Music is subjective enough that I don't see the benefit of ratings by people who don't necessarily care about any particular standards.

If you want my take on this Twiggy, then yes, I can understand where those who don't quite seem as polished don't have anywhere to go to show off their music if they want to aim for OCR in the first place. And we have people around the forums that have been trying to get onto the site but heavily struggling. Heck, a lot of musicians that got posted on OCR within the past few years have been down there at the beginning.

My advice to you is to just start working on whatever music you'd love to do. Maybe sign up on Soundcloud; use it to host some work on there when you get it done, or just use it as your own musical sketchpad in a way.

Or if you want to work on something specific, OCR's Competitions Area is a good starting point too - PRC and MnP are always looking for new faces.

Other than that, there's Newgrounds and Youtube being your most likely bet to share music. But that's the point though - SHARE music. Some of the most popular crap on both sites are driven purely by nostalgia or fanboyism, and if that's your aim then it's probably not for you.

But yes, there's always a lot of options out there to share music that you've done, regardless if they're going to pass the panel or not.

If you want my take on this Twiggy, then yes, I can understand where those who don't quite seem as polished don't have anywhere to go to show off their music if they want to aim for OCR in the first place. And we have people around the forums that have been trying to get onto the site but heavily struggling. Heck, a lot of musicians that got posted on OCR within the past few years have been down there at the beginning.

My advice to you is to just start working on whatever music you'd love to do. Maybe sign up on Soundcloud; use it to host some work on there when you get it done, or just use it as your own musical sketchpad in a way.

Or if you want to work on something specific, OCR's Competitions Area is a good starting point too - PRC and MnP are always looking for new faces.

Other than that, there's Newgrounds and Youtube being your most likely bet to share music. But that's the point though - SHARE music. Some of the most popular crap on both sites are driven purely by nostalgia or fanboyism, and if that's your aim then it's probably not for you.

But yes, there's always a lot of options out there to share music that you've done, regardless if they're going to pass the panel or not.

youre negativity from irc chat channel is not welcomed here rexy youre pretty much telling me to go to somehwere else other than ocremix. i didnt mention youtube newgrounds i am in ocremix forums and in the irc channel. why would i want to go to youtube?! if i wanted to go to youtube ill be over there right now.

I just made a post to feedback on the site thats all and out of all posts in the forums you reply to mines and telling me same negative stuff from IRC

which your post has nothing to do with my idea

youre negativity from irc chat channel is not welcomed here rexy youre pretty much telling me to go to somehwere else other than ocremix. i didnt mention youtube newgrounds i am in ocremix forums and in the irc channel. why would i want to go to youtube?! if i wanted to go to youtube ill be over there right now.

I just made a post to feedback on the site thats all and out of all posts in the forums you reply to mines and telling me same negative stuff from IRC

You might want to calm down (and type properly). :lol:

Just... dial it back. Try not to (needlessly) take offense to everyone.

Short and sweet: thank you for the proposed idea. However, we're definitely never, ever going to do tiered or scored levels of judging, especially for submissions that aren't accepted. Our judging process isn't meant to use a scoring system. A submission either makes it to OCR or it doesn't. Rexy's not being negative. She's correctly saying that (because we'll never do this idea) you'd need to hit other sites for feedback with a ranking-style approach.

Because of the unlimited number of ways an arrangement can be approached, a scoring system attempting to take into account all of the different things that can go right and wrong with an arrangement doesn't seem like it could be consistent enough to accomplish what you want.

That said, it wouldn't involve scores, but the Feedback checklist the judges came up with is a really good resource that we may be able to include in a deeper way with an improved Workshop. All of those things are literally the problems the judges look for in submissions, so if you can avoid those problems, you'll be well on the way to getting a submission passed. :-)

Your thread actually spun off into a conversation about Workshop improvements djp wants community input about. Catch up there and chime in some thoughts.

Edited by Liontamer

i dunno what she said on irc, but sorry, that just sounds like teen angst to me. nothing in her post that seems to fit your perception, imho.

don't be offended, i still get some flashes of teen angst and i'll be 30 in a couple years :)

Rexy is giving you great advice. There's nothing negative about it. Stop stirring up drama.

If there is an OCR Bronze League i will freakin leave this site

What do you guys think?

I just... I can't. I don't understand why you think making music is something that can be quantified with a ladder ranking system.

Edited by Neblix

I Am Not Making Drama

Rexy is not ocremix staff and her post was off my topic. My forum post was about ranking system and she contribute nothing to it only telling me to go somewhere else.

its ok liontamer was off topic a little but he is ocremix staff same with drakesword

only reason why i brought up irc is because to explain where im coming from. so im not saying this randomly

I Am Not Making Drama

Rexy is not ocremix staff and her post was off my topic. My forum post was about ranking system and she contribute nothing to it only telling me to go somewhere else.

its ok liontamer was off topic a little but he is ocremix staff same with drakesword

only reason why i brought up irc is because to explain where im coming from. so im not saying this randomly

Rexy's post wasn't off topic. And she wasn't telling you to "LEAVE, GO AWAY" to some other site, so she's not stirring up drama, only you are. :lol:

In any case, this isn't an idea that's going to be done. So we're done here.