Nintendo DS

The Damned

There's no reason to play a handheld for hours at a time. Sure, it can be done, but the systems aren't really designed for that in mind. In fact, a major criticism of the PSP when it launched was that the games were designed like console games: long endeavors requiring you to play for an extended period of time.

This works fine for consoles, as one rarely boots up their PS2 to play for 30 minutes or less, but it undermines the philosophy of a handheld. Namely, the ability to get a quick game in here and there when you're waiting around for something.

If you're looking for a long, indulging experience, grab a 360 or something. If you want a handheld that perfectly embraces what portable gaming is all about, the DS is the de facto choice.

Yeah exactly, and I should have given it more thought before I got it. Some games are still fun though, but a couple of hours of entertainment like that isn't worth 45 Euros. Oh well, i'll hold on to it in case the good games actually decide to show up in Europe.

I did notice however that I can put down the DS after a short while and just pick it up again later or the day after.

I could never stop playing if it were a (new) console game :)

Is Jump Superstars/ Ultimate Stars worth looking into? If not, what game (that currently has been released) is?

My friend owns Jump Superstars. I will have to say that it's not really a complete gaming experience. It's just fun to have a giant brawl type game consisting of lots of anime characters. There's even a wiki about it that lists the characters (playable and non-playable). It really is kind of impressive how they could fit all of them into one game. But if you like fighting games, it kind of gets old pretty fast.

I don't know about Ultimate though, I would assume that they did make improvements on it. But, I don't know to what degree. If you're choosing between the two games, I would get Ultimate. For the meanwhile, just save your money. Importing games is expensive.

My friend owns Jump Superstars. I will have to say that it's not really a complete gaming experience. It's just fun to have a giant brawl type game consisting of lots of anime characters. There's even a wiki about it that lists the characters (playable and non-playable). It really is kind of impressive how they could fit all of them into one game. But if you like fighting games, it kind of gets old pretty fast.

I don't know about Ultimate though, I would assume that they did make improvements on it. But, I don't know to what degree. If you're choosing between the two games, I would get Ultimate. For the meanwhile, just save your money. Importing games is expensive.

Don't worry, i'm used to it. ;)

There's no reason to play a handheld for hours at a time. Sure, it can be done, but the systems aren't really designed for that in mind.

There are as many reason to play a handheld for hours as there are good games. The fact that you just dismissed, or even were ignorant of such games, is where your point is flawed. I could give you a list of games that one could happily play all day, non-stop. But that list would read like a reading of a game library. There would be dozens, if not hundreds, of games from the GBA, the DS and the PSP. Hell, if you counted the older systems like the WonderSwan, you could drive it up even more.

And actually look at the portables. They were designed for long-term use. They took the weight, the balance, the shape and even the texture into account. When you hold onto something for any amount of time, it will put a strain on your fingers, hands and arms. Companies spend millions of dollars trying to make their portable devices (gaming or otherwise) as ergonomic as possible, because they know that people are going to be using them all the time.

And while there are some that say such and such portable is uncomfortable to hold... maybe they aren't holding it right? Most people found the DS Lite uncomfortable, because they were holding it like it was a regular DS.

On a side note, I have minor nerve and tendon damage from an accident two years ago, and I can hold a DS for hours and hours. If I can hold the damn thing with my gimped arms, what's preventing other people from doing the same?

In fact, a major criticism of the PSP when it launched was that the games were designed like console games: long endeavors requiring you to play for an extended period of time.

I've never heard about this. Cite something that backs this up.

Besides, the whole point of the PSP was too offer a similar experience of your PS2 at home, but small enough to take it with you. The thing plays movies, for fuck's sake. How can it not be intended for continuous use? The only real issue with long playtimes is the battery in the PSP. The DS can run for almost a full day.

This works fine for consoles, as one rarely boots up their PS2 to play for 30 minutes or less, but it undermines the philosophy of a handheld.

Bullshit. There are games that are intended for short burst of play. Wario Ware, for example. There are also X-Box Live Arcade games that are perfect examples of playing for a few minutes.

Also, there the price issue. A console game is usually ten to twenty bucks more than a portable game. And yet, a lot of console games can be played through in less than fifty hours. Some are even just over twenty hours. And yet, there are portable games that can go over fifty hours, easily. Not just RPGs, either.

Who here played Mario Kart DS, or Metroid Prime: Hunters, or Tetris, or Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops? Did you play it in short bursts? Or did you play it and play it and keep playing until you were too tired to keep going, or the battery died? I blasted through Mario Kart DS in day-long stints, because it was fun to play. I went online with Tetris for hours because playing against other people was fun. I maxed out the clock on Pokemon Sapphire because it was fun.

If your playing portable games that aren't fun enough to play for more than ten minutes at a time, you need to look for better games.

Namely, the ability to get a quick game in here and there when you're waiting around for something.

Unless it takes ten minutes for your home console to boot up and load a game, there's no reason at all to not play for only a short while. Hell, I played Twilight Princess for ten minutes the other day, just because I wanted to. I've played RPGs for a few minutes because I was bored. By your logic of portables and consoles, I'm some sort of heretic.

Any game can be played for any length of time. That's because games are meant to be played for any length of time. Sports games can be played for one match, or for a whole season. FPSs can be played for one round, or for a tournament. RPGs can be played for one battle or all the way to the next plot development. Puzzle games can be played for one game or for as long as you can go. It's not the hardware it's played on, it's the person that plays it.

If you're looking for a long, indulging experience, grab a 360 or something. If you want a handheld that perfectly embraces what portable gaming is all about, the DS is the de facto choice.

I've already said who consoles offer just as much quick-and-dirty gaming. But I do agree with getting a DS. Not because you think it's something to pick up and play with for a few minutes at a time, though. I say get one because of the large library of games, both short and long, that it has.

/rant

Yeah. Phoenix Wright is great. It's been a long while since I've played a game that made me say "I'll play until one more save point. Aww... it's time to go to sleep now." For those of you who have Justice for All, do you suggest it?? It seems as if there are some mixed reviews from several people.

In other news, I left my DS at home.. only to pick it up later this week. It feels so long from now... :(

I finally beat EBA today with the Elite Beat Divas, and I feel great (bonus songs too). Great damned game.

I second that. Just have 4 more songs to beat on "Hard Rock" mode. I must have played that game for 5 hours stright only to find there was an even harder mode after sweatin'. Man was i happy that i could keep playing.

Is it just me or does Justice For All have terrible music?

Like I said earlier, I really didn't like it at first. It grew on me, though.

It's still not as good at the original, though.

Yeah. Phoenix Wright is great. It's been a long while since I've played a game that made me say "I'll play until one more save point. Aww... it's time to go to sleep now." For those of you who have Justice for All, do you suggest it?? It seems as if there are some mixed reviews from several people.

It takes time to adjust to the music, and the typos are a little annoying. However, the "lifebar" is fairly better implemented than the 5 ! system they had in the first game.

Case 3 of Justice for All is the best case out of both Pheonix Wright games. "You're the man now, doll!" However, I think Case 4 was the most disappointing out of all the Pheonix Wright games. It's not boring, or the worst, but it had a lot of potential that I feel was wasted.

i got my hotel dusk today from gamestop.com It's frozen up twice. and i've only played it an hour. It froze once right after you first get your hotel room. and the second time was after i answered the phone in my room. Hope it's not just my copy.. or worse my DS lite, which i've never had problems with. oh well.

Hope it's not just my copy..

lol, personally I would be saying, "I hope it's just my copy." I'd rather it be an isolated incident than all copies of the game being broken :P.

Anyway that sucks. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within was the only game I can recall playing at least recently that was really bugged out (it was almost unplayably broken the way it just kept freezing).

So, my DS has been collecting dust for a while now, and I'm looking to get a new game (I rarely buy video games, relying more heavily on Christmas/birthday...but unfortunately I didn't get any games for those occasions this year). The most recent game I have is MP:H. I'm looking for something with depth (not just mini-games or whatever), and something that'll keep me occupied for a while. Suggestions (suggestions not listed are also welcome)?

Possibilities:

Either Castlevania

NSMB

DQ: Rocket Slime

Hotel Dusk

Non-possibilities:

Diddy-Kong racing - It would have to be REALLY good to impress me

Elite Beat Agents - I'd like something with more depth

Neutral:

Phoenix Wright

Trauma Center

Supposedly Hotel Dusk is pretty hard to find even now.

And New Super Mario Bros.? That has less depth than EBA IMO. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow can be hard to find, although you could always go for eBay. Portrait of Ruin is a great game though, but you have to be one of those gotta-collect-them-all types to get the most out of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/25/technology/25game.html

I wish I could write for the New York Times... I think they need my expertise... as well as general awesomeness.

A game instruction says what to do with a Wii in “Smooth Moves.”

What a compelling and well-written caption!

They coulda used something like "Do as wii say, and as wii do."

I agree with Bahamut on this one. You will spend more time with EBA than you will with NSMB. In your first runthrough, you can probably get through NSMB in in a couple of hours and in the end, it won't have too much replayability (much like the first SMB). I feel that it is done well, but you'll come back to it mainly for nostalgia factor if anything. Funny enough, NSMB comes with a bunch of mini-games that could entertain you and some other friends. It's very likely that this is one of those games that is opposite of what you described.

Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center are similar in that both have pretty engaging game mechanics and might be, in a word, intense. However, PW isn't too long and I hear that Trauma Center only increases its difficulty in the further levels almost ridiculously. So with those two games, either you'll end relatively quickly or you might stop due to frustration.

Go with either Castlevania games or some good old GBA RPGs (FFV or FFVI in Feb.)