Nintendo DS

The Damned

DS > SNES?

In what regard? In sales, software, fun factor? The Snes had a lot of each.

Not until the DS sells a billion units...

According to Wikipedia, the DS has sold 35.6 million DSs as of December 31, 2006. Soooo, at that rate, it would take Nintendo 56 years to reach a billion units sold.

Yeah, even with Nintendo milking successful hardware for as long as possible, I don't see that happening. Unless there is a sudden, exponential increase in sales in the next couple of years.

I love hotel dusk but haven't played it in about a week. I'm sorta kinda stuck.

SPOILERS AHEAD

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm stuck on the part where you sneak into Jeff's room and find his dupe key of 215 and you have to get the paper off the lobby table and bust him. I've tried it a few times, and even tried doing it with a faq, think i just did something wrong before i saved it, and when i try to retry it makes me start a bit further back, so i always just reload my save. >_<

just got myself a M3 DS simply card and a 1GB micro sd card.

i predict too much fun for me and my ds in the near future.

only thing that irks me about it is that the battery life has dropped from around erm 15-20 hours play to about 8-12 hours play before the red light comes on.

Of course i just pulled those numbers outta my ass,but there is a noticable drop in battery life.

and ive not had much luck getting emulators to work

the snes one worked kinda but was quite broken(tested with megamanx)

the mega drive one is just knackered as is the nes. im guessin it must be incompatability issues with the sd card.

Anyway its opened a lot of games to me now.

very happy bunny :D

So, I just got back from an EB, and I heard good things about DKR DS - this EB employee says he normally doesn't like racing games either.

Just bought FFIII DS too, so comments on it later (after I finish my hw)

Edit: Funny you should mention the drop of battery life there - I noticed a drop in the battery life of my DS Lite. It could be from lots of playing though...

Battery life is still okay for me. I haven't noticed anything yet, but I've only had mine for a couple of months... 4, maybe not even. I only really remember charging it about 3 times. So I charge it once a month? It only takes a 2-3 hours, I think... I don't keep track of it.

As for gaming news: so far almost done with Megaman ZX. I need to complete all of the side quests though that the NPCs give you. Then off to the place where you have the final battle! Then after that I should be playing Trauma Center.. but I've gotten to a place where I think I'll be stuck for a while, so I'll probably play some other game at the same time.

I wouldn't think your battery life would change that much... but the drainage of your charge definetly depends on what game your playing. You could play MegamanXZ and new super mario bros. all day long because of the low poly count. But you play FF III or Animal Crossing for about 10 hours and your battery's bout gone.

Regardless, the lite is sooooo much better than the DS phat battery wise.

Charging a lithium ion pack is a conversion between different chemicals, but there are some irreversible byproducts which very sloooowly build up. Because of that, constant conversion of chemicals from a lithium ion pack lose more and more power every time you charge them. AND, if you charge your DS when the battery isn't almost completely drained you could totally be ruining the efficiency of your battery because those byproducts build up faster instead of the chemicals you need to create the charge. After a hundred charges you're definitely going to notice a difference, especially if: a) you didn't charge the battery before you turned your DS on for the very first time ever, and B) you constantly charge your battery mid-way through a charge, and c) you don't give your battery an opportunity to charge nearly fully whenever you do happen to charge it.

And yeah, what the DS parts have to push out should also contribute to the low battery life somewhat but definitely make sure you take care of your battery if you want to keep it in good condition.

-Nick

I have to go pick up a copy of Tetris tomorrow, as well as Final Fantasy VI Advance. My wife finally decided to try out my DS and loved it, so she's ordered a pink one from Amazon, so I get to get her Tetris. I'm pretty excited, since I've wanted to play games with her for quite a while. I don't think I'll be seeing my copies of Clubhouse Games or Mario Kart DS for a while though :)

After a hundred charges you're definitely going to notice a difference, especially if: a) you didn't charge the battery before you turned your DS on for the very first time ever, and B) you constantly charge your battery mid-way through a charge, and c) you don't give your battery an opportunity to charge nearly fully whenever you do happen to charge it.

Oops, I failed on (A) and (B). I definitely noticed a loss in battery life.

After a hundred charges you're definitely going to notice a difference, especially if: a) you didn't charge the battery before you turned your DS on for the very first time ever, and B) you constantly charge your battery mid-way through a charge, and c) you don't give your battery an opportunity to charge nearly fully whenever you do happen to charge it.

a) Oops.

B) I only ever charged after it died, or an hour or so once the red light came on.

c) Overnight, while I sleep. I have to assume the leaving it plugged in after it finishes charging has no effect on the battery at all, seeing how there is no current running through it.

But I still notice it dying pretty quickly these days... should I get a new battery (easy install, and I can always keep the other one as a spare if I need one, for some reason) or just go get a DS Lite?

$20 for a battery, be able to play GBA games without sticking out so much but still have a few dead pixels, or $150 for new everything, brighter and more colorful screens, but have GBA games stick out... decisions, decisions.

Weird. I'd always heard that Li-ion batteries lose their charge if you don't charge them often. I'm sure they aren't like Ni-cads, or maybe that was li-poly batteries. Anyways. I usually keep my DS charged and use it every day but usually not till the red light. When I go home for a weekend (Living in dorms) I can use it till the red light comes on (because FFIII is fun), and I'm sure I'm still getting 15 or so hours out of it. I've had this Lite since they came out.

*Edit*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life

Not the best source, but I'll see if I can find a better one later.

Weird. I'd always heard that Li-ion batteries lose their charge if you don't charge them often. I'm sure they aren't like Ni-cads, or maybe that was li-poly batteries. Anyways. I usually keep my DS charged and use it every day but usually not till the red light. When I go home for a weekend (Living in dorms) I can use it till the red light comes on (because FFIII is fun), and I'm sure I'm still getting 15 or so hours out of it. I've had this Lite since they came out.

*Edit*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life

Not the best source, but I'll see if I can find a better one later.

Seems I was thinking of Ni-Cd batteries then, bleh.

-Nick

Might i add that i only noticed the big drop in battery life AFTER i started using the M3 Simply.Im probs gonna get another battery some time soon.

Any software that you might use will definitely drop battery life. Not only does it have to run the game graphics, but also the emulation app as well. This is analogous to using Rockbox on an iPod if you wanted support for .ogg or other sound formats. Battery life definitely reduces in this case since the software has to be constantly used. It isn't some sort of loading program that only has to be applied once per song, but constantly when the song is playing.

Big drop? I should probably not get an M3 then. I wasn't planning on it, but my friends wanted to. I should probably at least warn them.