Nintendo DS

The Damned

I wouldn't even buy the game if it came out here. According to many japanese gamers who bought the game, it sucks and is very short. The game can be completed in 10 hours. It's a freaking RPG too.

Damn, that's short for a Tales game :( .

So, I'm up to the last boss of FFIII DS...and wow this game fucking sucks. The tedium towards the end is reminiscent of the shitty end dungeon of Lunar II: Eternal Blue, which ranks as one of my worst gaming experiences ever, along with the entire game of 7th Saga. Stay clear of this game if you value your sanity.

Also, Square-Enix is a whore for letting you buy Bahamut at the end of the game :( .

So I picked up a copy of Lunar Knights when it popped into my store the other day. So far, I'd have to recommend it to anyone looking for a good dungeon crawl with depth.

Basically, it's the spiritual successor to the Boktai series. You get two characters, one powered by the moon and wielding the "Dark Sword" and the other powered by the sun and using the "Solar Gun." Each character gets multiple weapons that can be switched on the fly (ala Metal Gear style, you hold L and a little quick-change menu appears), which actually change your attacks and such. For instance, the first two Solar Guns you get give you the choice between a standard pea-shooter, fire one bullet at a time gun and a hefty bazooka-staff type weapon that fires slower, but does more damage and homes in. All of your weapons can be upgraded via item alchemy, though the result is a pretty boring attack power bonus.

Add on to this the ability to charge your weapons with elemental energy via beings called Terrenials and the boost in power you get with the Trance gauge and you end up with a pretty enjoyable hack-and-slash.

But wait, that's not all! On top of this, after every boss battle, you load into your "Casket Rocket" and engage in a touch-screen based rail shooter that actually succeeds at being quite enjoyable. I doubt it'll supplant anyone's love of Star Fox, but it's far and away better than the Gummi Battles of Kingdom Hearts infamy. During the rail-shooter segments, your Terennials give you additional weapons to use against your enemies. The fire one gives you a slow grenade shot, while the light element gives you a quick-firing machine cannon.

Finally, the game sports some really nice anime cutscenes, a load of voice-acting (bearable, though not the best I've ever heard), and bears the mark of Hideo Kojima's studio.

Definitely a game to consider purchasing.

(EDIT: Just for clarification, I've never played either of the Boktai games, so I have no idea how the game relates to those, except that I know you can link Boktai via the GBA slot into Lunar Knights and play with the Sun Sensor enabled. Otherwise, the game uses the in-game weather system to determine energy recharge and such. However, take this as a postive note, too: You can enjoy Knights without ever having touched Boktai.)

So, I'm almost done with DKR, and I change my initial impressions - it's much better than I originally thought, although the AI can be cheap as fuck.

One question though - anyone know where the other balloon(s) is (are)? Wizpig won't let me race him a second time until I got all the balloons and won the Future Funland trophy race, and I have the trophy and 46 balloons...

So, I'm almost done with DKR, and I change my initial impressions - it's much better than I originally thought, although the AI can be cheap as fuck.

One question though - anyone know where the other balloon(s) is (are)? Wizpig won't let me race him a second time until I got all the balloons and won the Future Funland trophy race, and I have the trophy and 46 balloons...

I've been keeping away from DKR DS for several reasons, mainly because of the touch-based stuff. I'm curious though, has sliding for the car really been removed? And for the plane and hovercraft as well? (in the case of the hovercraft, it hops instead of sliding)

As for the balloons, all I know is that there were 47 in the original.

I beat one of the single player modes (I still have Adventure Mode 2 to go), so I found the missing balloon - it appears they added a little puzzle which kinda sucked.

One thing I like is the addition of the coins - the game having unlockables definitely improves it, especially the ability to upgrade your vehicle. The touch boss challenges aren't so bad, although 2 of the 4 still suck completely. Right now I have the Adventure Mode 2 & the unlocking of T. T. left - holy shit does the hovercraft still suck ass.

They did remove the powersliding, but they still let you use R to turn sharply without losing speed, which is still key. Barrel rolls and somersaults are also removed as far as I can see too.

Just thought I'd mention; if you're in to cute platformers, that both Kirby Squeak Squad and Yoshi's Island DS are solid choices. Both deliver action much like their prequels, full of character, colour and fun...

BUT

If you have to pick one, defintely Yoshi's Island. I've probably put about 15 hours into Yoshi's Island and 5 into Kirby and, from what I can tell, Kirby's 1/2 done while Yoshi's sitting, more difficultly, at about 1/4.

Y Hello thar replay value.

Thats true, but i cant put down Kirby SS and im finding myslef only playin about 2 levels of Yoshi DS.

EDIT: actually i take that back about the controls feeling cheap,they're just didnt feel as nice as Yoshis Island

I loved the original yoshis island(who didn't?), but so far im not a big fan of the DS rendition. The controls feel kinda cheap,the music is absolute cheddar and the sound effects just annoy the shit outta me(HURGHMMMMMMMMMMM!!!).Also i find its generally too slow paced.

But then again im just basing this all off first impressions(haven't even finished the first world)

So, I'm up to the last boss of FFIII DS...and wow this game fucking sucks. The tedium towards the end is reminiscent of the shitty end dungeon of Lunar II: Eternal Blue, which ranks as one of my worst gaming experiences ever, along with the entire game of 7th Saga.

Exactly. I presume the boss killed you too, so you get the fun of doing EVERYTHING over again?

I know it has probably already been talked about, but I don't have time to read this whole thread. Does anyone know anything about the DS shortage and when Nintendo will start meeting the demand? This is especially frustrating me because I got a DS for Christmas (a white one) that had a dead pixel. Grrr stupid green dead pixel. At the time I had no idea how hot of an item the DS was/is, so I decided to exchange it as soon as possible.

While I was getting a haircut, my mom returned my DS to Target before checking to see if any were available. Of course there were none, and the grouchy old return lady sent us on a hunt to a different Target store claiming they had 5 in stock. Wrong. This happened the week after Christmas. To make a long and agonizing story short, I'm out of a DS, have started Final Fantasy III and Yoshi's Island DS and cannot play them, and I can't play any of my siblings games either.

Oh and I have to get one from Target because that's where my dad works and I get a discount. So my options are further limited.

Suck.

Thinking about it makes me want to punch someone.

Got a new one today. Wow, they were sold out for a long time.

Exactly. I presume the boss killed you too, so you get the fun of doing EVERYTHING over again?

I *almost* died - I was one round of attacks from losing my last three guys, so I just decided to fuck it and go all out. Turns out that two of my party members died and the last one remaining dealt the final blow to the final boss so I massively lucked out.

Thats true, but i cant put down Kirby SS and im finding myslef only playin about 2 levels of Yoshi DS.

EDIT: actually i take that back about the controls feeling cheap,they're just didnt feel as nice as Yoshis Island

I loved the original yoshis island(who didn't?), but so far im not a big fan of the DS rendition. The controls feel kinda cheap,the music is absolute cheddar and the sound effects just annoy the shit outta me(HURGHMMMMMMMMMMM!!!).Also i find its generally too slow paced.

But then again im just basing this all off first impressions(haven't even finished the first world)

I felt the same way about Yoshi's Island. It doesn't get better.

I felt the same way about Yoshi's Island. It doesn't get better.

:(

the more i play it the more im left thinking "why did u change that?" like the star spitting tulip sound effect,that owned!

and running across water no longer produces splashes,etc etc...

anyway enough bitching from me

not awful but not great.[/whinge]

:(

the more i play it the more im left thinking "why did u change that?" like the star spitting tulip sound effect,that owned!

and running across water no longer produces splashes,etc etc...

anyway enough bitching from me

not awful but not great.[/whinge]

Nintendo outsourced the game, that's probably why it isn't as good as YI. Though I haven't played YIDS yet.

I *almost* died - I was one round of attacks from losing my last three guys, so I just decided to fuck it and go all out. Turns out that two of my party members died and the last one remaining dealt the final blow to the final boss so I massively lucked out.

I'm almost there again. I restarted because my fiance got a copy for her birthday. She was at the end too on my cart, so I decided to play on the new one.

I love boss battles like that. Paper Mario 2 ended that way and I've never felt so...exhilarated after beating a boss. I can't wait to beat Final Fantasy III.

I'm almost there again. I restarted because my fiance got a copy for her birthday. She was at the end too on my cart, so I decided to play on the new one.

I love boss battles like that. Paper Mario 2 ended that way and I've never felt so...exhilarated after beating a boss. I can't wait to beat Final Fantasy III.

I don't mind boss battles like that but...if they erase 2+ hours of gaming with no possible way to save in between that's some bullshit

In my quest to totally beat EBA, I've gotten 'S' ranks on all of J's stages, and have about five more to get on Chieftain's. After that, I'll get Spin's and save the Divas for last.

And getting Commander Kahn to replace the lead diva is worth it. Quite hilarious.

I thought you only needed to complete all songs (regardless of rank) on all difficulties for that? I'm a handful of hit markers away from beating JFF with the Divas...